Will there be a comprehensive Manual?

The sequel of the legendary wargame with a complete graphics and interface overhaul, major new gameplay and design features such as full naval combat modelling, improved supply handling, numerous increases to scenario parameters to better support large scenarios, and integrated PBEM++.
balto

Will there be a comprehensive Manual?

Post by balto »

I never got into TOAW due to the fact that you had to be a forum dweller to be aware of how to be able to play it effectively. Similar to Admiral's Edition.

Will this version have a comprehensive manual? I am thinking it will not, but I figured I would ask.
larryfulkerson

RE: Will there be a comprehensive Manual?

Post by larryfulkerson »

ORIGINAL: balto
I never got into TOAW due to the fact that you had to be a forum dweller to be aware of how to be able to play it effectively. Similar to Admiral's Edition.

Will this version have a comprehensive manual? I am thinking it will not, but I figured I would ask.
Bob Cross has already modified the Manual so that it includes the new features and has pictures and everything. I've read it and
refer to it. I don't believe much is missing if anything. It's comprehensive and deeply moving. I think you'll like it.
Interviewer: "What is your greatest weakness?"
Elderly Gentleman: "My honesty."
Interviewer: "Well I hardly think that could be a weakness."
Elderly Gentleman: "I don't give a fuck what you think."
balto

Post by balto »

Wooooaahhh, I just got an erection there Larry. Thank you
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

I fully understand your feeling. It's one of the reasons I spend so much time in the WITP-AE forum, to learn how to use your tools more
effectively. To learn the work-arounds and tricks to get past some tricky spot in the game mechanics and how to use them to your
advantage. Like selecting an aircraft unit and then using the mouse cursor to "find" the enemy targets in otherwise empty hexes.
The mouse cursor changes when you're over an enemy unit so you know something is there. Things like that. It's the people that use
the features of the game that find the workarounds and tricks and fortunately most people like to share what they've found. It works
that way on the beta team as well. The new naval rules has opened up another venue for human creativity and the new work-arounds
are being born as we speak. Thomas Harvey has developed a new scenario Pacific At War that showcases the new rules and
is one of my favorite scenarios. Already. And Bob Cross has built a new scenario Soviet Union 1941 that uses new game
mechanics for the modeling of Soviet production that's innovative and path-finding. I love it. And there's a new Pearl Harbor
scenario Bob has produced which will teach and train the player how to get the best performance per unit. A plane that carries a
torpedo is used differently than an aircraft that carries bombs for instance. It's eye-opening. The same trend as that for the land
units. You use your best weapon(s) to defeat the threat(s). So put the best people in the best equipment and you'll get the best
results.

This TOAW IV version is a leap ahead of the old version. It's like a completely different game now. You'll have the old game
mechanics and some new ones. There's the planned battles dialog now and the resloved battles dialog and the User Interface has
gone to a new format. It's easier and more intuitive than the old version. Game play is faster and easier. I'm retired and play
TOAW like my life depends on it because it's so much fun now. It's almost all I do anymore. Oh, I did take the trash out on
Tuesday morning but I was back at my computer in less than 10 minutes. So I didn't miss anything.
Interviewer: "What is your greatest weakness?"
Elderly Gentleman: "My honesty."
Interviewer: "Well I hardly think that could be a weakness."
Elderly Gentleman: "I don't give a fuck what you think."
FF_1079

Post by FF_1079 »

Oh my my - awesome news!

Larry, thanks for feeding us bread crumbs through the Russian Winter, you managed to keep the dream alive!
Fondly remembers SSI's "Clash of Steel"
AlessandroD

Post by AlessandroD »

And it will be a full color printed one? [:)]
budd

Post by budd »

Will Mr. Sill be doing some tutorial videos like for TOAW 3? Those were good. Maybe include tutorial videos with the game like Decisive Campaigns Barbarossa did, there were 14 short videos covering key concepts.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.
Curtis Lemay

Post by Curtis Lemay »

ORIGINAL: **budd**

Will Mr. Sill be doing some tutorial videos like for TOAW 3? Those were good. Maybe include tutorial videos with the game like Decisive Campaigns Barbarossa did, there were 14 short videos covering key concepts.
That's the hope. But maybe we'll let Steve answer that himself.
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
nukkxx5058

Post by nukkxx5058 »

All these sound good ! Can't wait !
Winner of the first edition of the Command: Modern Operations COMPLEX PBEM Tournament (IKE) (April 2022) :-)
r6kunz

Post by r6kunz »

Not official, but I suspect it will just be an eBook manual. Bob Cross, aka Curtis Lemay (is it the other way around?) has done a fine job of editing to the original to add the TOAW IV changes. As much as I like hardcopy, I must admit that the Ctrl F find feature really makes it easy to find answers on a specific topic.
Avatar image was taken in hex 87,159 Vol 11 of
Vietnam Combat Operations by Stéphane MOUTIN LUYAT aka Boonierat.
Curtis Lemay

Post by Curtis Lemay »

ORIGINAL: HPT KUNZ

Not official, but I suspect it will just be an eBook manual. Bob Cross, aka Curtis Lemay (is it the other way around?) has done a fine job of editing to the original to add the TOAW IV changes. As much as I like hardcopy, I must admit that the Ctrl F find feature really makes it easy to find answers on a specific topic.

This is also not official, but I suspect there will be a suite of options (with a suite of prices) ranging from pure download, to boxed version with printed manual.
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

Will Mr. Sill be doing some tutorial videos like for TOAW 3?
If anyone has any suggestions for possible video topics, I will see what might be done.
nukkxx5058

Post by nukkxx5058 »

Will there be detailed Tutorial scenarios (not video) covering the main aspects of the game ?
thanks
Winner of the first edition of the Command: Modern Operations COMPLEX PBEM Tournament (IKE) (April 2022) :-)
budd

Post by budd »

The main topics covered in the TOAW3 videos adjusted for the new game. One on the UI, how to get things done and something on the new navel stuff. Maybe one of the testers can do an AAR or a lets play video on a scenario explaining as they go.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

Thanks for the suggestions. The problem we'll have with me doing videos is that I haven't played TOAW in over a year, and there are multiple things that are preventing me from doing so, so I am not familiar with the latest stuff, so we'll see how things develop going forward.
ncc1701e

Post by ncc1701e »

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653

The problem we'll have with me doing videos is that I haven't played TOAW in over a year

Mmmmm, let me guess: Strategic Command WWII War in Europe? [:-]
Chancellor Gorkon to Captain James T. Kirk:
You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

'Multiple things'. SC3 is one [;)]
pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653
'Multiple things'. SC3 is one [;)]

Steve, ain't it nice to be busy? [:D]

Between SC3, Schwerpunkt's WWII-Europe, and Empires in Arms, I miss just playing my games. I still try to get in playing a scenario of TOTH, Flashpoint Campaigns, CSME, and a couple others when I can. Looking forward to adding TOAW IV to the list, and playing some when I can.
Bill Macon
Empires in Arms Developer
Strategic Command Developer
Akmatov

Post by Akmatov »

Radical concept - full eManual with manual updates with the update changes includes and highlighted, like a real life aircraft pilots manual

Return to “The Operational Art of War IV”