The Operational Art of War IV

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Neilster

The Operational Art of War IV

Post by Neilster »

It's coming very soon. I'm really looking forward to this one. I bought the original back in about 1998 and have played the various versions ever since. I never found the interface hard to use but many people did, so an improved one will be good.

The naval modeling was always the weakest part of TOAW and it sounds like this has been radically overhauled, along with a few other things like supply, movement and map graphics. More than 200 scenarios means loads of replayability and there will be plenty of user-designed ones.

All in all, good stuff [8D] Here's the product page...

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/product.asp?gid=587

Cheers, Neilster
Cheers, Neilster
HudsonGame

RE: The Operational Art of War IV

Post by HudsonGame »

Same here. I have bought and played every version of this fine game. The naval rules were indeed weak, but, it looks like they will address this. I have never been totally happy with the air rules, but, they worked way better than the naval rules. It would be great if Matrix could do a new improved version of Norm's game Age of Rifles. I loved that game too. I even helped play test it.
wings7

Post by wings7 »

[&o][:)]
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
wodin

Post by wodin »

Will get the review treatment at AWNT:)
LarryP

Post by LarryP »

Can't wait, this is music to my eyes. [&:][:)]
Zap

Post by Zap »

I'll probably purchase this. Never owned any version. 200 scenarios does make it sweeter
LarryP

Post by LarryP »

I've played the heck out of this series. Takes a bit to learn and I never really played as well as I should, but I had fun doing it wrong. [:)]
Alan Sharif

Post by Alan Sharif »

Must confess I will be taking a close look at this on release. Agree re Age Of Rifles comment too, if anyone out there is taking note ;)
A Sharif
Capitaine

Post by Capitaine »

Yes, the thing with Age of Rifles isn't to restore the existing dated game, but to produce an updated modern version much like the "Panzer General" clones have done with the original. Using most of the same principles but perhaps with some more modern game concepts and innovations in addition to graphical improvements, a new version would be an instant hit. The gameplay would have to be similar though, or the continuity would be lost.
JReb

Post by JReb »

This is great news. Can't wait to see some screenshots.
My shrink says I have anger management and conflict resolution issues....and I'LL FIGHT ANYBODY THAT DISAGREES!
HudsonGame

Post by HudsonGame »

Capitaine, I agree about Age of Rifles. It should be a new version using the same general setup of the old game. One thing I did not like about the original game, was that you could not save individual Orders of Battle. You had to save them in pairs (sides you made for a battle). I mentioned this to Norm, but he said it was too late (the programing was too far along). Overall though, I thought it was a great game.
redcoat

Post by redcoat »

ORIGINAL: JReb

They've added some screenshots to the product page. Link.

They're also calling for beta testers.
“‘Who controls the past,’ ran the Party slogan, ‘controls the future: who controls the present controls the past.’”

George Orwell, 1984
wodin

Post by wodin »

Screenshots look very clean and sharp. Looks as good and in many cases better than all other wargames at the same kind of scale.
Ranger33

Post by Ranger33 »

Looks nice. Not a radical departure, but less "This was designed in the 90's" [:D]

Even though I have the third version, I might have to pick this up as well if it's easier to manage. The breadth of scenarios is insane.
ORIGINAL: redcoat

ORIGINAL: JReb

They've added some screenshots to the product page. Link.

They're also calling for beta testers.
rocketman71

Post by rocketman71 »

I agree, screenshots look like an improvement over the dated TOAW III maps and UI. I wonder, will there be new content as well or rely on the existing scenarios? Also keen to see a more detailed list of changes to gameplay and the engine - if it will play differently from TOAW III or just about the same.
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

ORIGINAL: rocketboy

I agree, screenshots look like an improvement over the dated TOAW III maps and UI. I wonder, will there be new content as well or rely on the existing scenarios? Also keen to see a more detailed list of changes to gameplay and the engine - if it will play differently from TOAW III or just about the same.

Just saw the screen shots on the product page. Does look good. When is it due out?
wings7

Post by wings7 »

ORIGINAL: Gary Childress

ORIGINAL: rocketboy

Just saw the screen shots on the product page. Does look good. When is it due out?

They are doing Beta Recruitment now...
tm.asp?m=4271551
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!
TSCofield

Post by TSCofield »

Looking forward for sure. I've played the game since its Talonsoft Days.
Thomas S. Cofield
Feature Editor, SimHQ.com
t.co0field@comcast.net (stopped the SimHq mail since I get nothing but spam)
Anonymous

[Deleted]

Post by Anonymous »

[Deleted by Admins]

Return to “General Discussion”