E-2C Hawkeye Spotted

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

kevinkins

E-2C Hawkeye Spotted

Post by kevinkins »

Driving south along Ocean Ave, Sea Bright NJ along the Atlantic I saw a Hawkeye fly north along the coastline at about 1500 feet. NWS Earle is 5 miles away and Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst is to the south. I would have stopped and snapped a photo, but the folks I was with would have thought I was crazy.[:)] I believe they were flying under and outside the JFK International approach. Some sort of training mission. Rare sighting.

Kevin
“The study of history lies at the foundation of all sound military conclusions and practice.”
Alfred Thayer Mahan
Airborne Rifles

RE: E-2C Hawkeye Spotted

Post by Airborne Rifles »

I live in the Hudson valley. Saw one flying north along the river a couple weeks ago. Below hilltop level, so, under 1000 feet.
Check out our novel, Northern Fury: H-Hour!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/1733838503?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860
And our web site:
http://northernfury.us/
Coiler12

Post by Coiler12 »

ORIGINAL: Airborne Rifles

I live in the Hudson valley. Saw one flying north along the river a couple weeks ago. Below hilltop level, so, under 1000 feet.

I live in the same area and can frequently see big cargo planes heading to Stewart AFB.
kevinkins

Post by kevinkins »

I forgot Lakehurst has one of the few on-land arresting cable set-ups for testing and training. Go Navy.

Kevin
“The study of history lies at the foundation of all sound military conclusions and practice.”
Alfred Thayer Mahan
HalfLifeExpert

Post by HalfLifeExpert »

The university I attend is near Point Mugu NAS in Southern California, in fact one of the landing approach patterns takes planes well within sight of campus.

These are the aircraft I have seen coming into land there:

C-130

E-2C Hawkeye

F-18 Hornet

C-17 Globemaster

P-3C Orion

P-8 Poseidon

Also, I remember one morning during my Senior year of high school, a pair of F-22 Raptors flew right over campus, headed toward the Pacific ocean. They were not that high ether, they were loud, and I was able to see the sun glinting off the pilot's canopies as I was not directly under them. THAT was awesome, but very bizarre, as military aircraft are practically never seen over that area. Well, active aircraft that is, occasionally one may see vintage planes. Very interestingly, it was the morning after this: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/mystery-mis ... lif-coast/
Lowlaner2012

Post by Lowlaner2012 »

Hey I live in Derby UK, once when I was walking my dog I seen a Royal Airforce AWACS flying really low, is was a majestic sight, also there is a big wildlife park not far from where I live and I seen an Apache training using cover and such :)
HalfLifeExpert

Post by HalfLifeExpert »

That's pretty cool about the Apaches. Ive seen military helicopters a few times on my commute to work, a couple of AH-1 Cobras, and one time I saw a CH-46 Sea Knight flying parallel to the freeway near the office, and I could actually see the barrel of the .50 cal sticking out of the rear ramp way.
Primarchx

Post by Primarchx »

A few years back the Thunderbirds came to town for an airshow at the airport. A friend of mine and I decided to go out the day before and see if we could spot them on the flight line. On our way we stopped at a Mexican restaurant to grab burritos and ate them outside at a canopy table. While we were eating I suddenly noticed a three-ship of F-16 buzzing around the horizon over my buddy's shoulder.

I was about to say something when I saw they had all hit the deck and were zooming toward us. Seeing they would pass directly over us in a matter of seconds I kept my mouth shut. It wasn't the nicest thing to do but it was funnier than hell when they shrieked overhead and my buddy practically jumped out of his shorts!
Excroat3

Post by Excroat3 »

Living near Great Lakes Naval Base, all I see are mostly Blackhawks and Jayhawks. A couple times, they were low enough that I could see legs hanging out from the sides of the Blackhawks! Definitely adds fuel to the rumors that SEALs are stationed there...
ojms

Post by ojms »

ORIGINAL: highlandcharge

Hey I live in Derby UK, once when I was walking my dog I seen a Royal Airforce AWACS flying really low, is was a majestic sight, also there is a big wildlife park not far from where I live and I seen an Apache training using cover and such :)

I've seen it too, flying low over the A52 on my way home from work and also it was doing touch and go landings at East Mids.
rjm51973

Post by rjm51973 »

I live a few miles from the Little Rock AFB. I've watched C-130s all my life, and can tell the J models from the older ones at quite a distance. Every now and then, something different comes through, and I have seen E-2 and E-3 AWACS, cargo planes, fighters of all varieties, and even some B-52s on occasion.
mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

Plymouth MA. Don't see much other than the coast guard helos and big Pave Paws when crossing the Sagamore onto the Cape.
South Boston: Fly overs during games from F-15 at Barnes, C-5s from Westover and F-16s from Vermont. Occasional port visits by US Navy and NATO. Oh and when the terrorist shtsacks bombed our city we saw armed Blackhawks and Coastie gunboats in the harbor. Not as cool as you might think.
Odenton Maryland: Not much but a strange ringing in my ears from the spooks at Ft. Meade.
South Carolina: A summer of Ospreys operating from small fields in the early to mid 2000s.
Rhode Island 90's: Cold war frigates. Lots of them.

Mike
Anathema

Post by Anathema »

Since the 2000 Olympics and 9/11 the Australian Army has held counter-terrorism exercises in the middle of Sydney. I used to work opposite an office building used by the defence force and a few times a year Blackhawks would suddenly appear right outside the window literally flying down the middle of the street between the skyscrapers before pulling into a hover as the Commando Regiment fast roped down. It was an awesome sight and an incredibly impressive display of flying skill, although I was always surprised they were allowed to do it because it was the busiest part of the city and would end very badly if things went wrong.
kevinkins

Post by kevinkins »

Around the same time Fort Monmouth - when it was open - always held a large Armed Forces day fair/picnic and managed to bring in all sorts of equipment and even had mock air assaults on the parade ground. But the most impressive was that one year the local model air plane club brought in a freaking apache. While we let kids sit in it, adults chatted with the pilots. That was cool, but I will always remember the raw power of the thing powering up and taking off and flying over our heads at tree top level.

Kevin
Alfred Thayer Mahan
HalfLifeExpert

Post by HalfLifeExpert »

I saw a B-29 today...[:D]
Rhygin00

Post by Rhygin00 »

During a day in the sun on Coronado Beach I witnessed USN traffic, including E-2s, flying directly over me while on final approach there. Also was the first time I saw a helicopter land on a runway much like a fixed-winged aircraft.
Dan109

Post by Dan109 »

Growing up in Louisiana in the 70s (seen the entire arsenal as I grew up near Barksdale AFB, SAC Command), when they built I-49 in the 80s, which ran by England AFB, A-10s were often seen doing what appeared to be practice runs for strafing tanks. Their flybys over the highway were pretty damned low. It eventually stopped, I think because of complaints. Yeah, nothing more fearful being in a vehicle, and staring at that 30mm cannon!
kevinkins

Post by kevinkins »

Saw another E-2C Hawkeye today at 1000 feet. This time a bit more inland while I was fishing. It was screaming to the north over the Colts Neck VOR (just north of NAS Earle) and once out of sight it came back around on opposite southern heading. Pretty confident these Hawkeyes are training using the Lakehurst facilities I mentioned above. I never saw a turbo fly that fast so low except at an air show.
There was a "purpose" in the sound of the engines.

Kevin
Alfred Thayer Mahan
CCIP-subsim

Post by CCIP-subsim »

I don't get to see much where I live these days [:)] Out of the places I've lived in Canada, I've probably seen more military traffic in Niagara Falls than elsewhere - and mostly on the US side, mostly being locally-based KC-135s. But there'd also be other traffic in for airshows, visits, or I transit to what I gather were joint exercises with Canada (one particularly memorable instance was a half-dozen A-10s arriving one grey morning from over Canada).
In Ottawa military presence is pretty light these days - but a few years ago I remember there was an F-18 that was scrambled for some security alert, and was definitely seen and heard all over town. But then there's a usually a whole week in late June when the Snowbirds are practicing over the city for their Canada Day show, so that makes a pleasant racket [:)]

Of the more exotic things - back in the ol' USSR, my family did a fair bit of camping in the Karelian Isthmus back in 1990-1991, and for several days in the summer of 1990, there was a period when military jets would pass overhead at relatively low altitudes every 10-15 minutes, day and night. I definitely remember MiG-29s and Su-24s, though since it was cloudy much of the time, we'd only rarely catch a glimpse. Must've been an exercise of some sort!

I'm just grateful I've not had to live in a place where seeing military aircraft means not "cool, look at that!" but more "quick, hit the floor!" Cause I've got a bunch of friends and colleagues from Iraq, and boy, they've got some stories....
Nangleator

Post by Nangleator »

During my Private Pilot training, one of my solo legs took me over Hanscom, in Massachusetts. It's ordinarily a pretty sleepy place, military-wise, but on this day, I got to look down on an A-10 while I was still wondering if "A ten" was some sort of Piper. There was also an aluminum cloud in front of me, which made me ruminate on wingtip vortices for a bit.

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”