The Good The Bad & The Indifferent

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

BBfanboy

RE: The Good The Bad & The Indifferent

Post by BBfanboy »

You have used DD TFs as raiders quite effectively in this game, so I was supposing that Mini KB was there to deter such ventures.

Suggestion: If he has grown used to seeing your PBYs on nav search and is operating his convoys without much air or combat ship coverage, try putting your PBY squadron on 60% naval attack and 40% search for a turn. Use torps if you got 'em. Another thing for him to worry about. [:)]
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

Good idea that, too.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

I have a lunchtime meeting on the other side of Atlanta. I usually detour widely around that city, but will have to go even further afield today. Atlanta already had the fourth worst traffic in the US before the big I-85 bridge fire and collapse a few weeks back. That has had a domino effect, putting heavy traffic on other arteries everywhere, near and far. It'll be a long, tiring trip for a short meeting. Arg!

This trip will delay my viewing and reporting on what happens at Manila. I hope to be able to make that report late this afternoon. John may post much earlier, of course.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
AcePylut

Post by AcePylut »

Police have released a pretty detailed black-n-white sketch of the Atlanta Bridge Burning suspect.

Attachments
sherman.jpg
sherman.jpg (62.3 KiB) Viewed 67 times
AcePylut

Post by AcePylut »

Too soon? :)
paullus99

Post by paullus99 »

In Atlanta, it's always too soon.....

Ironically enough, I'm in Savannah today for meetings. On the other side of the "March through Georgia."
Never Underestimate the Power of a Small Tactical Nuclear Weapon...
AcePylut

Post by AcePylut »

I live in Columbia, SC. (Originally from Illinois)... where there were 4 buildings left after Sherman left Savannah and marched north - and I have no issue with what happened.

About 2 months ago, I went to church at *the* church in downtown Columbia where the SC delegates decided upon succession, before they formalized it down in Charleston.
Lovejoy

Post by Lovejoy »

Back in 2014, My family was in South Carolina for our yearly two week trip (we have family in Charleston that we visit) and we drove to Atlanta for a few days and saw the sights. We must have been really lucky because we did not run into bad traffic, although we did get lost on day two looking for the Atlanta Zoo. Beautiful city, and underrated as a vacation spot too. I think that's because it's not located on the Atlantic or Gulf Coast. Ironically, on they way back I read Jeff Sharaa's book on Sherman's March to the Sea. Was a good read, looking forward to his book on the Korean War
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

I got nailed driving thru, on my way to Fort Benning, in one of those left lane high speed tolls. My EZ Pass didn't work. $25 bucks I seem to remember for about 1.5 miles traveled. Ouch.
MakeeLearn

Post by MakeeLearn »

"Fiddle-dee-dee! War, war, war; this war talk's spoiling all the fun at every party this spring."

Attachments
Scarlet.jpg
Scarlet.jpg (16.82 KiB) Viewed 67 times

Dirtnap86

Post by Dirtnap86 »

As a native of Augusta, GA, I'm pretty happy that Sherman spared my city on his march. Pretty interesting that he did, considering the powder mill we had back then. After the war they were converted into textile factories and now house a set of luxury (as luxurious as it gets in Augusta) townhome apartments. The Riverwalk down the Savannah is absolutely gorgeous in the springtime, though the Master's golf tournament can go hang. I know it brings a ton of money to the city every year but ye gods the number of out of towners that clog up the roads worse than they already are...
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: Dirtnap86

As a native of Augusta, GA, I'm pretty happy that Sherman spared my city on his march. Pretty interesting that he did, considering the powder mill we had back then. After the war they were converted into textile factories and now house a set of luxury (as luxurious as it gets in Augusta) townhome apartments. The Riverwalk down the Savannah is absolutely gorgeous in the springtime, though the Master's golf tournament can go hang. I know it brings a ton of money to the city every year but ye gods the number of out of towners that clog up the roads worse than they already are...
You do know there is a nuke lying in said Savannah River, don't you?
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
MakeeLearn

Post by MakeeLearn »

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

SHHHHH!!!

You said you wouldn't tell anyone... now one of us in our group has to go move it.

Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

6/25/44

Battle of Manila: The Allies take Manila. See map for details.

There won't be a message to John that "This turn ROCKED!" Lots more fighting to come, perhaps soon.

Lots of big stuff moving towards each other. I'll post more in a bit.

Attachments
062544B..fManila.jpg
062544B..fManila.jpg (119.23 KiB) Viewed 67 times
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

I didn't know there was a nuke in the Savannah River. I know a US bomber jettisoned a nuke in the '50s (I think) and that it lies just off the Georgia coast, near Savannah. Is that what you're referring to, or is there a nuke in the river too?
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

Nicely done...I think that was the picture perfect place to use partial shock attack settings and shows the value of having 100 prep along with HQs.

It is too bad you couldn't run the turn again with everyone and compare the two battle results.
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

6/25/44

Fun House: It bears repeating: Huzzah! The culmination of this op, with the fall of Manila.

KB is closing strongly. It's possible John has been stung and is seeking to sting back. I can't believe he'd attack now (Combined Death Star) when he wouldn't attack a few weeks back, but let's see.

Enemy combat TF closing to bombard Miri, I think. My DDs (six in total) will stand and defend.

Points: John's lead drops to less than 5k. I think I only got credit for 1/2 of Manila's VPs due to low supply, so the other half should tally shortly.

Attachments
062544FunHouse.jpg
062544FunHouse.jpg (757.84 KiB) Viewed 67 times
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

Nicely done...I think that was the picture perfect place to use partial shock attack settings and shows the value of having 100 prep along with HQs.

It is too bad you couldn't run the turn again with everyone and compare the two battle results.

That was a helpful tip. Thanks.
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel
ORIGINAL: Lowpe

That was a helpful tip. Thanks.

Here is another. Run a horde of PT boats up the Luzon coast. Check their commander, but goodness sake do it! Use a cheap xakl to refuel them for their trip home.

No PT boats for Miri possible?
MakeeLearn

Post by MakeeLearn »

Looks like it's about time for the show to start!

Attachments
thediplomat_2.jpg
thediplomat_2.jpg (32.2 KiB) Viewed 67 times

Return to “After Action Reports”