Withdraw bug

Post bug reports and ask for help with other issues here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Chris21wen

Withdraw bug

Post by Chris21wen »

I accidentally stumbled on this. I loaded a CB unit onto a TR TF but re-routed the TF to build a new base, the problem is I forgot the unit was due to withdraw. At the new base it could only partially unload before the withdrawal date occurred. I expected to start receiving PP penalties but this never happened. What did happen is the withdrawal date for the CBs disappeared. I left the TF unloading hoping it would withdraw once completely unloaded, it didn't.

Here's a save of the situation with 1 day left to withdrawal. The base this is happening at in Akutan Is (171,49).

Attachments
wpae009.zip
(4.09 MiB) Downloaded 4 times
Lokasenna

RE: Withdraw bug

Post by Lokasenna »

Ground units simply withdraw when the date arrives, so there wouldn't have been a need to code in a penalty.
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

What he's saying is it didn't withdraw because it wasn't on the 'map', as it was loaded. Doesn't seem WAD to me.
It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

Oh, I misread. I thought they withdrew once unloaded.
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

Ground units simply withdraw when the date arrives, so there wouldn't have been a need to code in a penalty.

Never thought of that before.
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

ORIGINAL: rustysi

What he's saying is it didn't withdraw because it wasn't on the 'map', as it was loaded. Doesn't seem WAD to me.

It had partially unloaded. Once it had completely unloaded surely it should disband. Seems this is a way to prevent units withdrawing if you can load them on a ship.
jwolf

Post by jwolf »

ORIGINAL: Chris H

It had partially unloaded. Once it had completely unloaded surely it should disband. Seems this is a way to prevent units withdrawing if you can load them on a ship.

Maybe, for a time ... but you couldn't do anything with them so I don't see the harm, as long as they automatically do disband once unloaded somewhere.
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

Maybe, for a time ... but you couldn't do anything with them so I don't see the harm, as long as they automatically do disband once unloaded somewhere.

[/quote]

It has completely unloaded but is still fully active. I would not have posted if it had and I did say so in my opening post.

.... I left the TF unloading hoping it would withdraw once completely unloaded, it didn't.
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

I've just tried it again and can now say that this is definitely a bug.
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

Well I tried it in my game and when I landed said unit it withdrew. I'm playing IJ scenario 1 in a stock game that is patched up to the latest 'beta'. So from my perspective its not a bug. Don't know why your results are different.

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

Well I tried it in my game and when I landed said unit it withdrew. I'm playing IJ scenario 1 in a stock game that is patched up to the latest 'beta'. So from my perspective its not a bug. Don't know why your results are different.
Was your unit split between landed and aboard-ship segments on the withdrawal date? That seems to have been the key factor in the OP.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

Was your unit split between landed and aboard-ship segments on the withdrawal date?

No.

pnzrgnral

Post by pnzrgnral »

Looks like Chris H may have stumbled upon an exploit. I found another - I don't know whether this has been addressed in the forum. E.g.: the US fighter squadrons in the Philippines have withdrawal dates. I've had one to three squadrons active, in-play at Manila, when Manila was captured by the Japs. I would've withdrawn them at almost the last moment but wanted to keep their remaining airframes active. Anyway, result: they're available as buyable destroyed squadrons (w/o withdrawal dates), assigned to USFFE, without the option to change HQ or airframes. I've seen this happen with Brit squadrons in Malaya, too. What do I do with them? Make them permanent training squadrons.
Rangers Lead The Way!
Sua Sponte
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

Most withdrawn squadrons come back as some other squadron name after a year or two. Maybe leaving those squadrons in the destroyed list will result in them being on the Air Unit Reinforcement list?
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

Looks like Chris H may have stumbled upon an exploit. I found another

Do we really need exploits? Exactly the type of game I would try to avoid.

Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

Looks like Chris H may have stumbled upon an exploit. I found another

Do we really need exploits? Exactly the type of game I would try to avoid.

Are you insinuating the deliberate use of this BUG as that is what it was reported as. See subject heading.
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

Are you insinuating the deliberate use of this BUG

No, I was referring to the other post. Now that its been shown I've no doubt that someone will try to take advantage of it.

I was wondering if the 'bug' had to do with the partial unload that you spoke of, as the unit I tried it with was too small to achieve that. Japan doesn't have any large ground units that withdraw early in the game. Maybe I can find something else further down the line to try it with again.

GetAssista

Post by GetAssista »

Japan doesn't have any large ground units that withdraw early in the game.
Off the top of my head some garrison unit in Manchukuo withdraws very early. Don't remembr if it is permanently restricted though, and cannot check right now
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

Are you insinuating the deliberate use of this BUG

No, I was referring to the other post. Now that its been shown I've no doubt that someone will try to take advantage of it.

I was wondering if the 'bug' had to do with the partial unload that you spoke of, as the unit I tried it with was too small to achieve that. Japan doesn't have any large ground units that withdraw early in the game. Maybe I can find something else further down the line to try it with again.

I'll let you know in two game time days as I have a small FA unit partially loaded and waiting.
rustysi

Post by rustysi »

ORIGINAL: GetAssista
Japan doesn't have any large ground units that withdraw early in the game.
Off the top of my head some garrison unit in Manchukuo withdraws very early. Don't remembr if it is permanently restricted though, and cannot check right now

I don't think so, but not 100% sure. Besides these are restricted units and will not load on ships.

Return to “Tech Support”