[RE-FIXED B938] Hellfire issue after hotfix B936

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.

Moderator: MOD_Command

mavfin

[RE-FIXED B938] Hellfire issue after hotfix B936

Post by mavfin »

This is after latest hotfix on Steam. But not quite there yet. Using the warship tutorial as a test scenario, updated to latest after the new patch. Updated scen, DB3000 464.

The helicopter didn't lose illumination when it fired the first two single Hellfire rounds while dodging SAMs. They impacted. I was peeking, and that got the AK-630 and the SA-4 launcher. Since there wasn't any more SAMs coming, the Seahawk fired off both remaining Hellfires...and then turned away to Winchester out of there...and lost illumination. I immediately unassigned the helicopter, and plotted course in the direction for illumination, but that still lost one of the two Hellfires in the air to 'no illumination'.

Save should be right before the Hellfires started firing. This is under mission control, till I turned the helicopter back around to illuminate for the last round.

Just need to check for possible illumination or guidance *before* Winchester-ing out of there.

Andy

P.S. For more fun, look at how much fuel the Juneau has in Battle of Chumonchin Chan, CWDB 456 (Won't rebuild to 460 for some reason?) Says it has 1.98 million oil fuel units, versus 40K and 14.8K for the other two ships. All with full fuel.
--Mav
ComDev

RE: Hellfire issue is better after hotfix...

Post by ComDev »

Hmmm I'm trying to download this file but it says the file doesn't exist. Anyone else having this?

Thanks!

Developer "Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations" project!
OldSarge

Post by OldSarge »

I can't download it either.
You and the rest, you forgot the first rule of the fanatic: When you become obsessed with the enemy, you become the enemy.
Jeffrey Sinclair, "Infection", Babylon 5
mavfin

Post by mavfin »

Neither can I, and I posted it.

I'll try again.

Was able to pull it back down this time.

Attachments
TestHellfireIllum.zip
(33.31 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
--Mav
.Sirius

Post by .Sirius »

ORIGINAL: mavfin

This is after latest hotfix on Steam. But not quite there yet. Using the warship tutorial as a test scenario, updated to latest after the new patch. Updated scen, DB3000 464.

The helicopter didn't lose illumination when it fired the first two single Hellfire rounds while dodging SAMs. They impacted. I was peeking, and that got the AK-630 and the SA-4 launcher. Since there wasn't any more SAMs coming, the Seahawk fired off both remaining Hellfires...and then turned away to Winchester out of there...and lost illumination. I immediately unassigned the helicopter, and plotted course in the direction for illumination, but that still lost one of the two Hellfires in the air to 'no illumination'.

Save should be right before the Hellfires started firing. This is under mission control, till I turned the helicopter back around to illuminate for the last round.

Just need to check for possible illumination or guidance *before* Winchester-ing out of there.

Andy

P.S. For more fun, look at how much fuel the Juneau has in Battle of Chumonchin Chan, CWDB 456 (Won't rebuild to 460 for some reason?) Says it has 1.98 million oil fuel units, versus 40K and 14.8K for the other two ships. All with full fuel.
Sorry about that there was a discount at the fuel depot for the Juneau its been fixed now :)
Paul aka Sirius
Command Developer
Warfaresims
Cold War Data Base 1946-1979 Author

Old radar men never die - Their echoes fade away in accordance with the inverse fourth power law
ComDev

Post by ComDev »

Fixed AI limitation in B933, thanks for sending the file [8D]

mavfin

Post by mavfin »

Thanks for looking these over, Emsoy and Sirius!
--Mav
mavfin

Post by mavfin »

Whoops! Almost there with B936. Fresh scenario with update pack, but even then I rebuilt to DB3000 466.

This time, Seahawk is engaged offensive, using engage targets-auto, It sticks around, keeps illuminating as it turns away after shooting the last missile...and while doing so, climbs while hellfires are still in the air, where an SA-N-4 killed it. All 4 Hellfires illuminated to target, and hit, sinking the missile boat...but the helicopter didn't make it, either.

Need to keep it low until out of weapon range, or the target is destroyed, even if going RTB. Some checks aren't being done here before heading home, it seems. I set it to attack profile at 19m, but it did it at 30m. The SAM didn't even fire till the helicopter started climbing to 61m. After watching again, with special messages on, the issue comes when the Seahawk drops the Nanuchka from the target list. At that point, it turns away, still illuminating...and starts climbing out, exposing itself to the SAMs.

I know, someone could characterize this as a one-off, but I don't see it this way. This could play out with other helicopters and aircraft. If I hit a ship but didn't destroy it, I wouldn't want to immediately climb to easy cruise altitude just because my ordnance is gone. Get out of the missile envelope, *then* you can climb out.

Mav

Attachments
Hellfire_i..rked_but.zip
(36.54 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
--Mav
ComDev

Post by ComDev »

Thanks for the save [8D]

Okay I've update the AI slightly and it will not drop the target until illumination tasks are complete. I also fixed a minor issue with the stand-off logics in this particular case.

As such the helicopter will stay at 100ft (below the boat's FCR/SAM altitude limitation) until weapons have impacted.

HOWEVER...

The helicopter doesn't have a mission, so once weapons are out it will Winchester and RTB at optimum altitude. The reason for this is that the AI doesn't really trust the human player (ahem!) and it will cancel all speed and altitude overrides to make sure the helicopter climbs to optimum altitude and speed to preserve fuel and get back to base.

So if you want the helicopter to stay low, you have to use missions.

You can create a patrol mission around the boat, assign the helo, set patrol and attack altitude to 100ft, and change the Winchester State RTB doctrine (for the side, mission or helo itself) to No. Also make sure you disable Manual Altitude Override for the helicopter, so that it actually use the mission settings rather than your override.

Strike missions are great because it overrides everything, too. However, here the minimum altitude is 200ft because that's what the loadout says. You can still edit the altitude settings after take-off, though. Select a waypoint and press F2.

You can also skip missions, plot a course, program waypoints, and disable Winchester RTB settings [:D]

mavfin

Post by mavfin »

Yeah, I used this for testing. I could just have disabled Winchester at all, and avoided the issue completely, or, as you said, mission control. That's what I did last time. I was having some mission issues last night, but nothing I can be sure enough about to report yet.

Still, I thought it interesting that it dropped the target when it still had illumination to do. That was what I was highlighting, really. Now if it was s fire-and-forget weapon, then that makes perfect sense. Does this happen with LGBs as well?

I also think of small engagements like this as some of the best to have working correctly w/o micromanagement. If you're in the middle of a complex scenario, where things get lost in the shuffle, you can count on small/simple things working correctly. Then you can pay more attention to the more difficult/complex things and micromanage those.

--Mav
ComDev

Post by ComDev »

Agree, so please give it a spin and let us know [8D]

mavfin

Post by mavfin »

Yeah, it'll be tonight, and I'll test it under mission control this time.

--Mav

Return to “Tech Support”