Hermann (Axis) Vrs Dinglir (Soviet) - Hermann welcome

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

Dinglir

Hermann (Axis) Vrs Dinglir (Soviet) - Hermann welcome

Post by Dinglir »

Turn one.
Attachments
Turn1.zip
(2.88 MiB) Downloaded 194 times
To be is to do -- Socrates
To do is to be -- Jean-Paul Sartre
Do be do be do -- Frank Sinatra
M60A3TTS

RE: Hermann (Axis) Vrs Dinglir (Soviet) - Hermann welcome

Post by M60A3TTS »

One note on aircraft, including the Pe-2 and SB-2 that are considered "fast bombers", I don't know why the load capacity says one thing and the carried devices another.

Pe-2 load capacity 2207. Actual load 6-100kg bombs
DB-3B load capacity 2207. Actual load 10-100kg bombs
IL-4 load capacity 2207. Actual load 10-100kg bombs
SB-2 load capacity 3309. Actual load 6-100kg bombs

The American lend-lease bombers actually have numbers that align properly.

Stelteck

Post by Stelteck »

Good luck Dingir in another epic struggle !!!
Brakes are for cowards !!
HardLuckYetAgain

Post by HardLuckYetAgain »

ORIGINAL: Stelteck

Good luck Dingir in another epic struggle !!!

Good luck Dinglir, you too Hermann ;-)
German Turn 1 opening moves. The post that keeps on giving https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... 1&t=390004
HardLuckYetAgain

Post by HardLuckYetAgain »

I have to give Hermann a great deal of credit for keeping it historical. My hat off to him for that. But in my opinion that is going to come back and bite him in the rear.
German Turn 1 opening moves. The post that keeps on giving https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... 1&t=390004
sillyflower

Post by sillyflower »

Yup

With the game at the moment, a poor turn in the south without Lvov pocket + a weak T1 in the north (several R units escaping or will escape) means G will struggle to have better than a poor summer O unless soviets let them off the hook.

Frankly, I don't see the point of G being 'historical' re Lvov pocket without some equally historical concession by the soviets. Just shifts the game's delicate balance too far.
web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

Reply: They already know you're a gamer. What other shame can possibly compare?
Hermann

Post by Hermann »

Wow I've never been invited to an AAR before. Kind of nice to see a historical German player in action even if its me not crossing the river wasn't part of the plan we got held up at Riga and had to divert a couple panzer divisions to Trump things up. Had a similar problem in the south and was forced to divert a couple units to block his retreat to Rowno, otherwise things went to plan. he did lose a few planes stubbornly defending my ground attacks hopefully he got the message and uses them for paperweights like they're designed to be,
. I was a bit disappointed that he managed to ship out those units up north again I blame Riga. My initial objectives are exactly historical but I am flexible. 3pza is heading for Vitebsk to join 2pza at Smolensk for fun and frolic, there's rumors of nurses in the vicinity. 4pza is headed for Pskov and first pza is trying to reach the Dnieper and cut off lateral movement west of the river.
Hermann

Post by Hermann »

payload fraction is a common term used to characterize the efficiency of a particular design. Payload fraction is calculated by dividing the weight of the payload by the takeoff weight of aircraft. Fuel represents a considerable amount of the overall takeoff weight, and for shorter trips it is quite common to load less fuel in order to carry a lighter load. For this reason the useful load fraction calculates a similar number, but based on the combined weight of the payload and fuel together.

Propeller-driven airliners had useful load fractions on the order of 25-35%.

Empty weight: 5,875 kg (12,952 lb)
Loaded weight: 7,563 kg (16,639 lb)
Max. takeoff weight: 8,495 kg (18,728 lb)
Hermann

Post by Hermann »

don't know how aircraft are modeled ingame but technically short range missions should have a heavier payload than long range flights. nice observation I hope the designers pick it up maybe code it so that tonnage of bombs drops at certain distances 100km 300km 600km etc.
Dinglir

Post by Dinglir »

Turn two.
Attachments
Turn2.zip
(3.17 MiB) Downloaded 107 times
Hermann

Post by Hermann »

very annoying problems in Russia think the black marketers are siphoning my fuel.
Dinglir

Post by Dinglir »

Turn three.
Attachments
Turn3.zip
(2.81 MiB) Downloaded 78 times
Hermann

Post by Hermann »

in my own defense The Panzers were parked waiting for the 18 army to slog their way up to Narwa. some fool planted a bunch of infantry in the swamp east of Pskov and I was concerned about scratching my paint on their carcasses. The supply break in AGC had a pretty big impact on 3Pza and they were waiting for 9 Army to move north of the River on their way to velikye Luki and the hopelessly unsupplied 2Pza to Reach Mogilev. In the South things move at the pace of supply - without any big pockets its a bit touchy rushing forward so I was focused on displacing the troops facing my noble Romanian cohorts. All told so far the opponent has been very active and aggressive and the air war in particular is amazing, I've never encountered an opponent that uses his Air to such effectand welcome the challenge. ZI have a different set of objectives than the Panzerball guys - my focus is long term slugfest and im not out to wi n it in 20 turns or keep the enemy crippled till winter. Pretty much as long as the Russian lets me go where I want I'm a pretty friendly guy but when he gets in my way I stomp him. I believe that infantry should bear the burden of attack and armor is more value as a threat than a sledgehammer. If an enemy ignores the threat sledgehammer it is.
Dinglir

Post by Dinglir »

Turn four.
Attachments
Turn4.zip
(2.66 MiB) Downloaded 116 times
Stelteck

Post by Stelteck »

you probably know this, but if you left a garnison isolated, drop supply with level bombers to put this unit from "Isolated" to "AirBeach supply".

The garnison will fight better in AirBeach supply. (It is quite funny, there are 1000 supply in the town but the troops are isolated. You drop 10 more supply from the sky and now the troops are airbeach with far better fighting capability, lol [:'(]).
Telemecus

Post by Telemecus »

I always wondered about this ... once isolated they will be lost. Is sending in supplies like good money after bad? If you are not supply constrained (if ever?) and or you are taking more movement points from panzers maybe, but if not your supply could be put to better use elsewhere? But I guess you are saying for a miniscule air supply you get great effects from the existing city supply.

We'l wait in trepidation for what Dinglir does!
Wargamers Discord https://discord.gg/U6DcDxT
Stelteck

Post by Stelteck »

You have nearly unlimited supply, do not worry about that. Some airDrop will not alter the balance at all.

But it is true that sometimes, you will prefer that your unit surrender fast (and so return faster) instead of staying alive, isolated in a useless part of the map.
Dinglir

Post by Dinglir »

ORIGINAL: Stelteck

you probably know this, but if you left a garnison isolated, drop supply with level bombers to put this unit from "Isolated" to "AirBeach supply".

The garnison will fight better in AirBeach supply. (It is quite funny, there are 1000 supply in the town but the troops are isolated. You drop 10 more supply from the sky and now the troops are airbeach with far better fighting capability, lol [:'(]).

Actually, I was not aware of that fact. Thanks for the information.

I also guess it does make sense for the encircled troops to have that "They still bring in supplies, we are not alone" feeling.
Telemecus

Post by Telemecus »

ORIGINAL: Dinglir
I also guess it does make sense for the encircled troops to have that "They still bring in supplies, we are not alone" feeling.

I was reading from Stahel's work that in 1941 many surrounded Soviet troops had no idea they were surrounded. Whereas in the Battle of France soldiers knew their strategic situation and surrendered - in Barbarossa the Soviets did not and so did not. If you are not used to any credible information all you know is what you see. And the view on the front line for a soldier in a big pocket is the same as one on the front line not in a pocket.
Wargamers Discord https://discord.gg/U6DcDxT
Dinglir

Post by Dinglir »

Turn five.
Attachments
Turn5.zip
(3.15 MiB) Downloaded 92 times

Return to “After Action Reports”