New images of Jupiter

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

wings7

New images of Jupiter

Post by wings7 »

Wow...what a violent surface Jupiter has! [X(]
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/photos/st ... cP#image=1

Patrick
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
Neilster

RE: New images of Jupiter

Post by Neilster »

We're getting some amazing images from Juno. Strictly speaking, however, we don't know if Jupiter has a surface and if it does it's very deep in its atmosphere. It's a gas giant, so what we're seeing here are cloud formations.

Cheers, Neilster
Cheers, Neilster
durangokid

Post by durangokid »

Fantastic photos. Close up, it looks like Van Gogh did the paintwork.
VPaulus

Post by VPaulus »

Thanks for sharing.
Jim D Burns

Post by Jim D Burns »

ORIGINAL: Neilster
Strictly speaking, however, we don't know if Jupiter has a surface and if it does it's very deep in its atmosphere.

Logic dictates it has to have some kind of rocky center. Eons of comet and meteor strikes alone would have given it enough material to form some kind of hard center. Getting to it however is probably impossible given the extreme pressures and violence of the atmosphere.

Jim
Zap

Post by Zap »

In the future, when space travel is commercialized, Jupiter will be a must see tourist destinations. Take a selfie from the spaceship with Jupiter as the backdrop.
mikkey

Post by mikkey »

Nice photos, thanks for sharing!
ncc1701e

Post by ncc1701e »

Beautiful, thanks a lot ! Where is the Utopia Planitia Fleet Yards ? [:D]
Chancellor Gorkon to Captain James T. Kirk:
You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.
Rodwonder

Post by Rodwonder »

Awesome... Thanks!!
Rod T DeMore
Neilster

Post by Neilster »

ORIGINAL: Jim D Burns

ORIGINAL: Neilster
Strictly speaking, however, we don't know if Jupiter has a surface and if it does it's very deep in its atmosphere.

Logic dictates it has to have some kind of rocky center. Eons of comet and meteor strikes alone would have given it enough material to form some kind of hard center. Getting to it however is probably impossible given the extreme pressures and violence of the atmosphere.

Jim
I don't think so. Those objects are destroyed high in the Jovian atmosphere and are converted to gaseous form. If Jupiter has a rocky core it's from the beginning of the Solar System and it was large enough and far enough away from the Sun to sweep up lots of hydrogen and helium to give it its enormous size. There is much scientific debate about this period and it's a topic in flux. This is our best guess for Jupiter's structure. The Juno mission should clarify things.

Cheers, Neilster

Attachments
Jupiter_diagram.jpg
Jupiter_diagram.jpg (106.95 KiB) Viewed 59 times
Cheers, Neilster
wodin

Post by wodin »

Jupiter I heard was and is an excellent defence against large asteroids etc that may have or may come our way..it's size and so gravitational pull means it attracts possible extinction size rocks. I wonder if it has ever pulled in anything that was heading straight for Earth but Jupiter pulled it off course
Neilster

Post by Neilster »

ORIGINAL: wodin

Jupiter I heard was and is an excellent defence against large asteroids etc that may have or may come our way..it's size and so gravitational pull means it attracts possible extinction size rocks. I wonder if it has ever pulled in anything that was heading straight for Earth but Jupiter pulled it off course

Actually, the latest computer simulations suggest that Jupiter's gravity perturbs as many potential impactors towards the inner Solar System as it ejects or accretes. There is probably no net benefit to us but it's a matter for much scientific debate.

Cheers, Neilster
Cheers, Neilster

Return to “General Discussion”