Mod for increased weapon range/more tactical combat?

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

CptnKuuk

Mod for increased weapon range/more tactical combat?

Post by CptnKuuk »

Hey guys. New player here.

Is there a mod that significantly increases the weapon ranges for all weapons or better yet, rebalances the game with range upgrades in mind?

When I first watched space combat happen, I was shocked to discover that it all happens on a giant messy pile within a perceived range of point blank. I then installed some "long range" weapons on my ships and was once again shocked to see that even a range 500ish weapon still has to go all the way up to the enemy to even be in range.
The result is of course, that everybody eventually ends up at point blank range since they tend to just keep drifting forwards, that standoff tactics are sort of crap because ships don't really turn around fast enough after the initial approach to keep their distance and, most importantly, that I cannot tell any ship from another because they are all moshpitting in one single spot.

From what I have seen so far, doubling or even tripling the range would go a long way here.
RogerBacon

RE: Mod for increased weapon range/more tactical combat?

Post by RogerBacon »

I agree with you. Combat in DWU tends to be Fleet 1 hyperjumps in on top of Fleet 2 and they blast away at point blank range. Increasing weapon range won't really help much because ships always jump within range 500 or their target. You would need to change the hyperjump behavior. If only there was a mod for that...
Stay tuned. [:)]
BTC 14UURmC4rD762RStsufKmaUjfXQrBvahU1
ETH 0x7c65139BC82A0BDC5b11F92001D5c5a112219f08
CptnKuuk

Post by CptnKuuk »

Yeah. While it would be pretty easy to just manually double/triple all the ranges in the components-file, I feel there is quite a few strings attached with regards to actually working and balanced combat.
Like the "hyperjump-default-arrival-distancefromtarget" value you mentioned. Or engines, shields and armor ... these probably would have to get some increases as well or else a vanilla speed + vanilla shielded ship just gets taken apart while trying to cover the distance to its missile wielding assailant. Only decent modders versed in the game will know what else to consider here ...
ORIGINAL: RogerBacon
Stay tuned. [:)]
What's that supposed to mean? Are you saying that you might know something about somebody working on this? [X(]
(EDIT: facepalm ... Just saw your thread.)
rjord2021

Post by rjord2021 »

I am looking at this with my upcoming Star Trek mod but I believe that done right the "standoff" tactics should work. Will have a look over the next few days and let you know.
Capshades

Post by Capshades »

One solution I've seen is long-distance warp jamming, makes ships come out and engage at greater distances.
CptnKuuk

Post by CptnKuuk »

Oh Jee. This doesn't sound good. It sounds like the anticipated complications are realer than real.

So, if I understand correctly, there is currently no mod to address longer range combat ... but at least there is two mods in the making (RogerBacons untitled "Hype"-mod and rjord1s StarTrek mod) which may or may not make some changes here?

----

Concerning the standoff-tactic "problem":
I guess it is working as intended and pretty balanced in the vanilla (I'm actually playing AI improvement 1.05) version. I.e., missile frigates go up to the target and stay exactly at engagement range while firing away. Shorter range enemies who engage them will cover the distance while taking three or four "free" hits from the missile fleet. As soon as they are in range it's CQC-brawl with the missile fleet not disengaging to "stand off" early enough so they pretty much lose out here. The "problem" is that the missile ships don't know when to pull out. It takes too long for them to turn around and by the time they have turned around they are already caught in a decisive battle. Sometimes they don't turn around at all I think ... it's kind of hard to see with 40+ ships all in one spot. ;)
In terms of ship cost vs damage output it still does not feel like any of the two designs is OP. Either design is worth the investment. But, if that is the case, is there really a tactical difference between the two? It feels like the only scenario, where having missiles (or torpedos or long range lasers or ...) is actually a tactical mainstay, is when assaulting stationary bases, which simply cannot close the gap.
I really miss the importance of maneuver in this whole weapon-range issue. And the ability to see clearly whether my missile fleet is even attempting to maneuver. [8|] I guess the closest thing I can think of that describes the "tactical feel" I am looking for is Sins of a Solar empire. (Might just be remembering it wrong though.)

Am I just expecting/wanting something from this game that it really isn't about? Distant Worlds with all that automation and empires streching hundreds of stars is more of a "big picture"-game? You manage your economy and throw "assets" at problems. A commander in chief doesn't care to get into the details of how exactly the snipers in his armies perform as long as they accomplish the mission?

Return to “Design and Modding”