Apparently I am going to be banned

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

Hermann

Apparently I am going to be banned

Post by Hermann »

According to a guy calling himself Red Lancer I've been "baiting" a guy named Pelton and that won't be tolerated. Before I'm banned however I'm going to State my opinion on the whole fiasco. There are in all games 2 styles of play, theres a historical school - were the ones that play according to our interpretation of accuracy. Then theres the other side - they tend to stretch the rules to the limit and do whatever the system allows. Both schools are extremely important to the game I was involved in game called war2 online for many years and watched the game implode when the balance between the two systems was broken. With war in the east were blessed with a loyal and talented development team and a strong and dedicated forum community. Theres debate and comment and hundreds of eyes applying themselves to each problem as it develops. I like to think my posts on airpower helped influence the changes in the air combat system - I was on that topic for months. Bacxk to Pelton. trhe man is as much a part of this game as the name of the game itself. An absolute master of the game in my eyes and he is the pinnacle I seek to climb. beating him soundly would be my greatest accomplishment. His contributions to the game are too numerous to count he finds flaws and exploits and exposes them, he creates conversation's that result in productive change and he keeps players like myself constantly struggling to improve and defeat his tactics, However playing him is hard, it's stressful and frustrating and tempers get hot fast - That's who he is. people that play him know that. You snap at him and he will snap back. I mentioned aspergers because ive a family member with it that has the same issues when he interacts onliner - nothing wrong with it or any form of autism its all so common now but people need to recognize it and not pressure or judge someone based on poor self control on the forums Pelton is not a troll he only responds and like my relative once he thinks it out he edits his posts or apologizes - I want Pelton back on the forums. He is practically coded into the game and I think his presence is worth any offense he inflicts. If you don't want a tooth tattoo don't pet the dog. my " baiting" was tease aimed at Pelton I expected a pm and a conversation I think the post was an accident. weve got great new changes in the new gamew ive been asking for for years that will really cripple the panzerball tactics. Peyton and his group forced those changes. The problem that I see is a real one. We have 2 separate factions in the community and that's what makes it vibrant. A fundamental change that affects one school in a negative manner is very dangerous. These supply changes are huge ands will have a major mpact on game play - we need Pelton more than ever to test the limits of these changes and open it up for debate. OK im done ban me if you must theres such thing as over moderation I think threatening base members of the community is stupid. I think banning someone like Pelton who is such an integral part of the game and community is dumber still. open a dialogue with him and listen to the guy, come up with a compromise but just bring him back and get it over with. he isn't going away no matter what you do we want to play against him and we want to hear his insight on game mechanics and debate him on tactics and rules... as long as theres a demand for peyton in the community we will still seek him out
Stelteck

RE: Apparently I am going to be banned

Post by Stelteck »

I'am sûre there are more than 2 factions of players in the game. Maybe there are as many factions as there are players [:D]

I understand your point, but moderation is a difficult work.

I'am sûre we would all love to see everyone working and playing together for the sake of the game in good sportmanship spirit. But when it is not possible, the most important thing is to keep the forum helping, friendly and welcoming.

There is no miracle solution unfortunately.
Brakes are for cowards !!
Denniss

Post by Denniss »

I wouldn't call Pelton a master of the game but he's very good in driving the game engine to its limits to find exploits, weak spots and bugs.
WitE dev team - (aircraft data)
WitE 1.08+ dev team (data/scenario maintainer)
WitW dev team (aircraft data, partial data/scenario maintainer)
WitE2 dev team (aircraft data)
EwaldvonKleist

Post by EwaldvonKleist »

There are in all games 2 styles of play, theres a historical school - were the ones that play according to our interpretation of accuracy. Then theres the other side - they tend to stretch the rules to the limit and do whatever the system allows.
Imo if the game has realistic mechanics and abstractions, both play styles are essentially the same.
If there are binary mechanics and things like one rail line for 3 panzergroups, its no miracle you can exploit the engine.
heliodorus04

Post by heliodorus04 »

Pelton's rants are way more entertaining...

But me and everyone who saw his are all thinking one thing right now:
You win on spelling
Fall 2021-Playing: Stalingrad'42 (GMT); Advanced Squad Leader,
Reading: Masters of the Air (GREAT BOOK!)
Rulebooks: ASL (always ASL), Middle-Earth Strategy Battle Game
Painting: WHFB Lizardmen leaders
HardLuckYetAgain

Post by HardLuckYetAgain »

The banned person that Hermann is referring to "IS NOT" the WiTE be all end all in this game, very far from it. What is really happening is that this banned person is trying to suppress the voices of others on this forum along with pointing to former glories in easy mode AAR's against people. There is no true help for others just, "Look at me" post by the banned person.
There are others on this forum with just as good if not "better" AAR's than this banned person. Stalin & Hitler did the same thing to there people and that is what is happening here by the banned person.

I would LOVE to see "all" post done by a permanently banned person deleted from the forums forever. You give up the right to have any of your words live the minute you get banned permanently. This way there is no idolizing of the permanently banned individual.

German Turn 1 opening moves. The post that keeps on giving https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... 1&t=390004
RedLancer

Post by RedLancer »

I feel some explanation is in order as I draw a line under this thread, unhide it and lock it.

It is a fact that Pelton has been banned from this forum for his behaviour because he breached the rules on acceptable behaviour. To circumvent that ban he has returned under a number of aliases.

In the WitE2 thread, which exists to discuss WitE2 development, Hermann has posted his opinion about Pelton and in particular his mental health. I believe that the response by NPichler was Pelton posting under an alias. I therefore invoked my powers as a Moderator and deleted a number of posts for the following three reasons:

Firstly, due to his ban, Pelton can read the forum but cannot reply in person. I do not believe it right to allow people to post opinions about Pelton when he has no comeback.

Secondly, such posts encourage Pelton’s continued posting under an alias, compounding the problem. This is also wrong.

Thirdly – way off topic.

As a Moderator, when you delete a post you have the option to send a message to the poster to explain the action. In my explanation I asked Hermann to stop baiting Pelton because it encouraged his creation of aliases. I also stated that I did not want to have to ban him. He chose to PM me and start this thread.

To me the rules are simple, you are all entitled to an opinion, but opinions should be presented in a polite and impersonal manner within the rules of the Forum. Let me be quite clear, because some people seem to want to believe otherwise. Pelton’s ban was because of his forum behaviour: no more, no less. He was actually treated with more leeway because of his positive influence on WitE. I accept there are two schools of thought on gameplay. There always will be. I welcome argument and discourse as they improve things, I do it myself, but the rules on behaviour stand. Furthermore I accept that we all have different characters but there is no need for forum diagnoses or exceptions to the rules on what we may individually believe to be true.

When things go awry I will act.
John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”