ETA?

The sequel of the legendary wargame with a complete graphics and interface overhaul, major new gameplay and design features such as full naval combat modelling, improved supply handling, numerous increases to scenario parameters to better support large scenarios, and integrated PBEM++.
Jo van der Pluym

RE: TOAW IV

Post by Jo van der Pluym »

ORIGINAL: BigDuke66

Don't ask for the season of year, ask for the year.[:D]

Year? A mistype perhaps. I think that you mean Century.[:D][:D][:D]
Greetings from the Netherlands

Jo van der Pluym
CrazyDutch

It's better to be a Fool on this Crazy World
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

I think that you mean Century.
C'mon now, be fair ... Decade.
Jo van der Pluym

Post by Jo van der Pluym »

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653
I think that you mean Century.
C'mon now, be fair ... Decade.

Which Decade?
Greetings from the Netherlands

Jo van der Pluym
CrazyDutch

It's better to be a Fool on this Crazy World
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

Correct, which decade ?
pz501

Post by pz501 »

Or, which millennium?

Seriously, I really wish someone from Matrix would just give us an update every now and then about the state of affairs. It doesn't need to be very detailed, just something to let everyone know that the thing is still alive and making progress.

Given how 'open' the information flow has been in the past (how many years has it been now?) I doubt even that will happen.

We do get some info from Larry Fulkerson concerning playtests of different scenarios now and then, and while Larry's a really good guy, it's not the same as Matrix or even the designer saying something...I know, it's all due to the NDA. Given past performance I seriously doubt Matrix will even read this.
HardLuckYetAgain

Post by HardLuckYetAgain »

Gotta love it, 11 pages of the same question, yet still unanswered.
German Turn 1 opening moves. The post that keeps on giving https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... 1&t=390004
ncc1701e

Post by ncc1701e »

Perhaps because the answer is not known from anybody even the developers. Even if I am doing some little programming, I am sure I won't be able to do a game such as TOAW I. I don't even speak of TOAW IV. This needs time and, if for us this is long, I am sure devs are busy.
Chancellor Gorkon to Captain James T. Kirk:
You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

An Answer Finally
[Sort of]
Hey you guys: I've been playtesting Bob Cross's new scenario Pearl Harbor 1941 and I've rated it ready for
prime time. I think you'll like it. It's got individual ships for units for the Americans and individual squadrons for
the Japs ( plus individual ships ) and it's two fun-packed turns long. But you need all 10 rounds of each turn to
produce points or you won't win. Actually it's more of a solo-game type scenario in that the American player has
nothing to do except maybe flip the AAA units to three-dot settings. The attacking planes carry different weapons
for the target ships: torpedo, naval shells adopted for dropping, and so on. The Jap fighters don't have much to
do because the American planes don't fly during the whole thing ( not in a significant way at least ). I played it just
now and got a draw so I need more practice yet. Bob Cross designed this jewel to give the new Naval rules a
platform. There's a lot to learn about the anti-ship capabilities of the planes and the weapons they can carry.
In the scenario there's a difference between the "inner-row" of ships and the "outter-row" of ships. Torpedos don't
work on the "inner-row" because of the obstructions in it's terminal path. Regular bombs have a hard time
penetrating a BB's armour. Fighters are useless against the ships unless they go for the small harbor ships for
targets.

The scenario has an EQP file and an NQP file so that each ship is tailored to it's real life characteristics in terms of
maneuvorability, armour thickness, etc. so that the weapons effects are realistic to what really happened in real life.
I'm having a blast with it. This scenario is a keeper. It's planned to ship it with the next release. Don't ask me when
that will happen.....nobody I know has a clue. But I would remind you that summer is approaching. I'm just saying........
If you need to put warheads on foreheads who you gonna call? An FO...just one will do.
rhinobones

Post by rhinobones »

Ge’ez Larry. I know you love the game and have given your all to the community, but your last post is comes across as another rah rah post about how much fun you’re having play testing TOAW IV. I don’t want to shut you down or be overly critical, but you’re killing us Larry. We’ve meet, talked, shared dinner and talked about the war so we’re a bit like brothers and the last thing I want to do is dish you over your dedication to TOAW.

The point is, Matrix should be providing answers to the people’s questions. The community is frustrated by the policy Matrix has followed to cut the community off from any meaningful communication. We all love your stuff, but deep down inside we’re just pissed Matrix isn’t providing the same level of communication.

Semper Fi, Tucson Gunner Dude

RhinoBones
Colin Wright:
Pre Combat Air Strikes # 64 . . . I need have no concern about keeping it civil

Post by broccolini » Sun Nov 06, 2022
. . . no-one needs apologize for douchebags acting like douchebags
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

ORIGINAL: rhinobones

Ge’ez Larry. I know you love the game and have given your all to the community, but your last post is comes across as another rah rah post about how much fun you’re having play testing TOAW IV. I don’t want to shut you down or be overly critical, but you’re killing us Larry. We’ve meet, talked, shared dinner and talked about the war so we’re a bit like brothers and the last thing I want
to do is dish you over your dedication to TOAW.

The point is, Matrix should be providing answers to the people’s questions. The community is frustrated by the policy Matrix has followed to cut the community off from any meaningful communication. We all love your stuff, but deep down inside we’re just pissed Matrix isn’t providing the same level of communication.

Semper Fi, Tucson Gunner Dude
RhinoBones
I completely understand. And I feel your pain, kind of, and my post was what little I can do. And I felt like I ought to be doing
something. Maybe it's not Matrix that's at fault, maybe it's Slitherine, or who knows who else is involved. We need a way to get
management's attention. A couple of us beta testers tried and we got THE THREAT. So that's how that went. Not much else
*I* can do. Quit the team maybe. I'm not sure that would help anything though.

We've shared a bottle of wine a long time ago now and I still remember it. How I didn't know where I was going even though I live
here ( Tucson ). And we kept running into those dirt roads, those private dirt roads that lead who knows where. And finally,
somehow you found your way without any help from me and it worked itself out. I've learned about GPS since then.

Maybe we need to use the "contact us" link to get somebody to say something approaching news about TOAW in general
and / or TOAW IV in particular. Make some noise you guys. Get mad. Do something.

EDIT: The boss man over the beta testers is Tamas and he might entertain your emails. You can find him here:

tamask(at)slitherine(dot)co(dot)uk
If you need to put warheads on foreheads who you gonna call? An FO...just one will do.
rhinobones

Post by rhinobones »

Larry

Thank you, thank you very much for filling in the Matrix blanks. Don’t get in trouble.
Also, I believe the wine was a pinot. Very nice.

For a city guy night driving in Tucson is a trip. Dark as hell. Good thing I had night compass training . . . good thing you didn’t panic when I got (a little bit) turned around. Luckily, I was driving a company rental car so we had plenty of gas to get lost and explore the territory.

Been to Tucson a number of times and my best memories are the sunset. The sun gets low and the bluffs light up in colors of red, yellow and gold. A beautiful experience. Lasts about 15 minutes!!

Semper Fi, RhinoBones
Colin Wright:

larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

ORIGINAL: rhinobones
Larry

Thank you, thank you very much for filling in the Matrix blanks. Don’t get in trouble.
Also, I believe the wine was a pinot. Very nice.

For a city guy night driving in Tucson is a trip. Dark as hell. Good thing I had night compass training . . . good thing you didn’t panic when I got (a little bit) turned around. Luckily, I was driving a company rental car so we had plenty of gas to get lost and explore the territory.

Been to Tucson a number of times and my best memories are the sunset. The sun gets low and the bluffs light up in colors of red, yellow and gold. A beautiful experience. Lasts about 15 minutes!!

Semper Fi, RhinoBones
The way my house trailer is situated I can't see the sunset because it's blocked by other trailer houses but I CAN see the sun rise
in the morning. It's usually about 05:45 lately, when the sky starts to lighten and the brilliant colors start to differentiate as rays
almost. It last usually only 10 minutes or so but it's pretty cool.

Here's my email to Tamas. See.......here's how you do it. Your turn to write him now.

Attachments
temp.jpg
temp.jpg (69.53 KiB) Viewed 124 times
fiambre

Post by fiambre »

Larry for president! :)

Thank you! I am one of those following the news here for TOaW IV and feeling frustration...
Tamas

Post by Tamas »

Hi guys,

What help would it be if I told you yet another deadline? [:)]

There is constant progress, but "only" at the pace that's possible. While Ralph is working on ironing out bugs, Bob enhances the game. One small step at a time, but moving forward.

Maybe if I told you that I have started involving our Marketing guys in certain discussions and preparations, that will be a positive enough hint, but I can't say more [:)]

We will give you a sign of life soon.
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

ORIGINAL: Tamas
What help would it be if I told you yet another deadline? [:)]
First of all Tamas dude, thanks for responding, for posting something.
I appreciate it. You've just admitted in other words that there is
indeed another deadline. Thank you.
There is constant progress, but "only" at the pace that's possible.
While Ralph is working on ironing out bugs, Bob enhances the
game.
One small step at a time, but moving forward.
I can testify that Bob is worth his weight in gold. He's a keeper.
Maybe if I told you that I have started involving our Marketing guys
in certain discussions and preparations, that will be a positive enough
hint, but I can't say more [:)]
Thank you for this. There's hope yet guys.
tcarusil

Post by tcarusil »

Tamas, I do not think anyone wants another deadline. But, I do think the group would like something more than the crickets that have been heard in recent months.

Would it be that hard once a week or two to write a couple of sentences about what is going on. "Ralph continues to work on .... " "Bob is making progress on ..."

What we have now is nothing, and it makes it awfully easy to wonder if anything is being done. I understand that Ralph and Bob are working as hard as they can. Would it hurt to give the group some insight into their work? Would it hurt to give them props for what they are doing? It might help the group appreciate their efforts, and they deserve a great deal of thanks from the group.javascript:void(AddText('[\&o]'))

Further from a marketing standpoint being completely silent is a good way to loose customers. People will drift off to other games that provide something, even if it is not as good as TOAW, because right now it is easy to beat what TOAW marketing is offering, ...nothing. Just look at the traffic on the TOAW discussion board. Again, nothing.

I look forward to playing TOAW IV someday, but don't let it rot on the vine. Give it some life.

TomC

HardLuckYetAgain

Post by HardLuckYetAgain »

Maybe my post actually proved to be good luck? Maybe I'm not "hard Luck" after all ;-P All kidding aside it is nice to get a bit of information. I'm sure the community is anxiously awaiting more yummies to munch on.

Thank you much!
German Turn 1 opening moves. The post that keeps on giving https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... 1&t=390004
BigDuke66

Post by BigDuke66 »

I don't mind an approach where there is only communication if something interesting has happened, I know other games that make a fuzz about just everything and that is totally annoying.
But that just nothing went out for so long just makes the community shrink. At some point the marketing should kick in and start to involve the community. Even if the game is not done or not nearly done you can always throw some bones at the community to keep them occupied and happy and interested in the game.

So, what about a boxart design contest for TOAW IV?
rhinobones

Post by rhinobones »

Tamas

Hello. Larry says you can do magic with the Matrix marketing team. If so, please continue your efforts and the TOAW community will cheer. With our appreciation, please continue your efforts to communicate the progress off TOAW IV toward maturation. People await . . . and we’re getting tired of hearing about how much fun Larry is having playing our game. (Sorry Larry, just had to mention your playtesting fun)

By “our game” I mean exactly that. We are the public who will pay to play TOAW IV. Without the public, there is no TOAW. No sales, no income, no return on investment. All I see now is a middle finger from Matrix. Not a good marketing move in my estimation.

Larry

Here’s a memory from my days in Tucson.

I was in Tucson for a major proposal. Arrived in the spring (temps were just perfect) and left about six weeks later, temps were well over 100. We worked in very well air conditions offices but had to brave the heat as we walked the across the parking lot. One evening I left the office about 7 pm, opened the door and was blasted by 100-degree heat. As I walked I noticed a fellow in the lot wearing a jacket. Wearing a jacket!!! It’s 100-degrees and he’s wearing a jacket? Blood is way too thin. People in Tucson are strange.

Keep in touch. Maybe later in the year I’ll pick you up and take you to Chicago for a real winter.

Regards, RhinoBones
Colin Wright:

rhinobones

Post by rhinobones »

Sunset, sunrise . . . they are all something special in the desert. You live in a good place.

Regards
Colin Wright:

Return to “The Operational Art of War IV”