allocating saved oil to production

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

4personalbusiness

allocating saved oil to production

Post by 4personalbusiness »

The resource allocation topic has been beaten to death but I'm gonna dive in again...v2.3.4,

The situation is late in the war and the western allies have slowly eaten up their oil reserves. Russia is now doing very well and has built up a huge stockpile of saved oil. The western allies own Norway, Sweden and Finland and rail links all the way to Siberia are completely open.

So, Russia is lending a bunch of oil to CW and US (16, in total). First off, the AI naturally hacked this to pieces, but I expected that and painstakingly adjusted all the defaults to save the lent oil all over Scandinavia--and it worked. Of course, this left Russia with about half its factories idle. No problem, right? Just assign (again, using the default button) saved oil to all the idle factories. Again, this was successful and for a brief moment: the US, CW and Russia showed full production while all the lent oil was being saved in Scandinavia. Problem solved, right?

But no. When you save, close and reopen the game (solitaire for the purpose of PBEM) all of the Russian factories are once again idle and the saved oil is no longer allocated to the Russian factories. You can fix it by repeating the allocation drill, but it again fails after closing and reopening the game.

On a smaller scale, we have run into the same problem many times. Just last turn, we repeatedly assigned two German saved oils to German factories only for this setting to again be canceled by the game. And it happened during the EOT phases (PPP and FPP). I think it's worth mentioning this example because Lars couldn't get it to work either---in other words two experienced players independently failed.

This must be a bug because the game accepts the allocations and then cancels them arbitrarily and repeatedly. Lars and I have tried overriding and defaulting but neither procedure makes the save oils stick, i.e., remain allocated to production after a save, close, reopen sequence.

Can someone confirm that this is at least on the master bug list? This isn't just one or two oils production points. I'm wrestling with 16 factories and it takes a lot of time to reallocate them to production again and again. Thanks, Pete

PS, any workaround advice would be appreciated also.
Centuur

RE: allocating saved oil to production

Post by Centuur »

Whenever a game is reloaded, MWIF recalculates production planning. So it is advisable to make your changes in the Preliminary Production Planning phase and keep playing until production of units starts.

This is a nuisance, that I agree on.

I hope that this problem is fixed in the next patch, since Steve made a change in the order of how production planning is calculated.
Peter
4personalbusiness

Hey Centuur. Thanks for confirming the "bug" or whatever one might call it. At least I know what I'm dealing with. This is a real problem for PBEM players so I hope Steve addresses it in some way. Even for solitaire and netplay players, the game sometimes must be closed for various reasons so changing this will help a lot of players. Pete
Majorball68

Post by Majorball68 »

ORIGINAL: 4personalbusiness

Hey Centuur. Thanks for confirming the "bug" or whatever one might call it. At least I know what I'm dealing with. This is a real problem for PBEM players so I hope Steve addresses it in some way. Even for solitaire and netplay players, the game sometimes must be closed for various reasons so changing this will help a lot of players. Pete

I don't bother allocating saved oil in pre production in PBEM for the reasons stated above. Between pre production and final production all these settings are wiped. However if you wait until final production the saved oils you allocate to factories and transporting around will stay in place. SO for PBEM games I recommend not bothering with allocating saved oil in pre production because you will only have to set them again in final production.
lomyrin

Post by lomyrin »

In my game the saved oil was going to production thru the scrap phases but the when it was Germans turn to produce it was lost and stayed saved. This waa with no savings or restoring, just playing thru.
4personalbusiness

Yes, whether you set the saved oils to production in pre pro or final production, they can get reset when you restore the game or, as Lars said, in other circumstances as well. As far as I can tell, there is no way to defeat this so I've got to call it a bug.
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

ORIGINAL: 4personalbusiness

The resource allocation topic has been beaten to death but I'm gonna dive in again...v2.3.4,

The situation is late in the war and the western allies have slowly eaten up their oil reserves. Russia is now doing very well and has built up a huge stockpile of saved oil. The western allies own Norway, Sweden and Finland and rail links all the way to Siberia are completely open.

So, Russia is lending a bunch of oil to CW and US (16, in total). First off, the AI naturally hacked this to pieces, but I expected that and painstakingly adjusted all the defaults to save the lent oil all over Scandinavia--and it worked. Of course, this left Russia with about half its factories idle. No problem, right? Just assign (again, using the default button) saved oil to all the idle factories. Again, this was successful and for a brief moment: the US, CW and Russia showed full production while all the lent oil was being saved in Scandinavia. Problem solved, right?

But no. When you save, close and reopen the game (solitaire for the purpose of PBEM) all of the Russian factories are once again idle and the saved oil is no longer allocated to the Russian factories. You can fix it by repeating the allocation drill, but it again fails after closing and reopening the game.

On a smaller scale, we have run into the same problem many times. Just last turn, we repeatedly assigned two German saved oils to German factories only for this setting to again be canceled by the game. And it happened during the EOT phases (PPP and FPP). I think it's worth mentioning this example because Lars couldn't get it to work either---in other words two experienced players independently failed.

This must be a bug because the game accepts the allocations and then cancels them arbitrarily and repeatedly. Lars and I have tried overriding and defaulting but neither procedure makes the save oils stick, i.e., remain allocated to production after a save, close, reopen sequence.

Can someone confirm that this is at least on the master bug list? This isn't just one or two oils production points. I'm wrestling with 16 factories and it takes a lot of time to reallocate them to production again and again. Thanks, Pete

PS, any workaround advice would be appreciated also.
Does this still happen in 2.5.2.0?

If so, could you please post a saved game?
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
lomyrin

Post by lomyrin »

yes

Return to “Tech Support”