Float planes and ships

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

verdugo94

Float planes and ships

Post by verdugo94 »

Hello, I would like to know if every kind of FP could go to every ship that has an aircraft capacity. Because I want to upgrade my Pete´s and Alf´s to Jake´s because they have longer range but I am worried about the possibility of the Jake´s not fitting on my cruisers and battleships.

Thanks you very much.
Grfin Zeppelin

RE: Float planes and ships

Post by Grfin Zeppelin »

You can laod them on capital ships without problems.

MakeeLearn

Post by MakeeLearn »

Best night eyes of the fleet.

Attachments
PCReconnaissance.jpg
PCReconnaissance.jpg (142.37 KiB) Viewed 123 times

Oberst_Klink

Post by Oberst_Klink »

E13A 'Jake', BEST assets of the IJN... AFAIK, can be launched even from subs.. a heck of a FP IMHO.

Klink, Oberst
My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

Jake, Jake, Jake. Everything comes up Jake.
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

Some people consider it gamey to put Jakes on Iboats.

I like them all, have used them all, Jake and Norm are fun, not a FP, but a FF don't overlook the Rufe and Rex. They can fly off ships too, but there are tradeoffs.
Dili

Post by Dili »

It is gamey to put anything except what they come with in I-Boats. Any other floatplane would not fit and could not be put into storage.

Relating to the OP question, the old CL's i am not seeing them take a Jake. For the others i would respect the FP class, the old bigger Alf replaced by Jake and the smaller ones replaced by Pete.
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

Yes there is all sorts of things you can do with aircraft that you could not do in the real war. Put planes on subs that wouldn't fit, but aircraft of CVs that are too tall...etc. So if you want to play a realistic game you would have to restrain yourself, as the game doesn't do that for you... except at the beginning as the ships COME with the A/C that fit....
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

I find it silly to draw the line at something like how big a hangar or deck elevator was. There's so much else that is routinely done but not labeled gamey that never would have happened in real life, much less been possible, that it's perversely amusing that somehow, for some folks, it's the idea that some method of making things happen like Jakes on a sub or Hellcats/Corsairs on all the CVEs is the thing that beggars belief. Not torpedo planes carrying a 848kg torpedo to 30,000 feet or Japanese invasions of Australia or the Allies writing off colonial possessions at the war's outset or conducting a land war in China. I mean, really [:'(].
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

Err, would hanging around Pearl for 8 days making strike after strike fall into that list.[X(][:D][:D]
InfiniteMonkey

Post by InfiniteMonkey »

ORIGINAL: verdugo94

Hello, I would like to know if every kind of FP could go to every ship that has an aircraft capacity. Because I want to upgrade my Pete´s and Alf´s to Jake´s because they have longer range but I am worried about the possibility of the Jake´s not fitting on my cruisers and battleships.

Thanks you very much.
Float planes as scouts:
E13A1 Jake can go on everything, including subs. BUT I am probably one of the "gamier" JFB's and I balk at the idea of Jake's on Subs. The Glen was specially designed to fit in the tiny hanger in the sub and be put together for launching in minimal time. I've contemplated putting Jake's on subs to use FOW to screw with an opponent's head. If I ever did that, I would be sure to operate it only at the Glen's range.

As far as Float planes for the IJN, E13A1 has 8/10 range which far exceeds anything else until the E15K1 Norm (12/15) appears in 8/43. You might think you want to produce the Norm after it becomes available, but it is important to note:

- The Norm has a service rating of 3 versus an SR of 1 for the Jake
- The Norm carries 2 x 60kg instead of 4 x 60 bombs
- The Norm does not have a MAD device for sub detection

The Norms can provide more warning of your impending doom and maybe some time to evac ahead of an invasion, but I would upgrade to them selectively.

If you use your float planes as CAP:
Until you get a Rufe or Rex, your best bet for using float planes for CAP is probably the F1M2 Pete. It is the fastest, most heavily armed float plane with the highest maneuver available before the Rufe. Any float group can upgrade to it. afaik only 2 units (Kamikawa Maru-1 & 2) can upgrade to Rufe's and Rex's even with PDU ON. The Rufe and Rex are classed as "Float Fighters" and not "Float Planes". When you try to upgrade a float plane air group's aircraft, the float fighters will not be selectable. You get 6 groups of 9 that fly the Rufe and 1 group of 12 that flies the Rex as reinforcements.

Note: The above assumes Scenario 1.
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

Yeah, Norm is a funny fish. The main float was designed to be jettisoned, so recovery was "awkward" (most navies would refer to it as 'ditching'). If it wasn't jettisoned, then performance suffered greatly. This is a BIG easter egg by the devs because the aircraft never had the 'kinks' worked out, and the concept never had operational success (every mission failed to return). Not only did the wing floats fail to retract, but the main float failed to separate ...

I don't build it as IJ ... too big of an easter egg for me. I use Jakes everywhere except subs ...
Pax
Dili

Post by Dili »

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

I find it silly to draw the line at something like how big a hangar or deck elevator was. There's so much else that is routinely done but not labeled gamey that never would have happened in real life, much less been possible, that it's perversely amusing that somehow, for some folks, it's the idea that some method of making things happen like Jakes on a sub or Hellcats/Corsairs on all the CVEs is the thing that beggars belief. Not torpedo planes carrying a 848kg torpedo to 30,000 feet or Japanese invasions of Australia or the Allies writing off colonial possessions at the war's outset or conducting a land war in China. I mean, really [:'(].

Well when i play i respect that because i think it is fundamental, i also have put a topic here in the forum about Japanese carrier restrictions. CVL could not take the Val and some full carriers could not take Grace. I also respect that.
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

I find it silly to draw the line at something like how big a hangar or deck elevator was.

I certainly don't see it as "silly" Lokasenna, it is up to the players. If someone wants to play a game that approaches "reality" as much as possible, it's this sort of restriction that would have to be employed. As someone who plays with realism in mind, I would not be adverse to such a rule (alone with others as you note) if offered by my opponent. Yes that would entail lots of "restrictions" but then again, real life entails lots of restrictions!
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

Err, would hanging around Pearl for 8 days making strike after strike fall into that list.[X(][:D][:D]

Yep!
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: dr.hal

I find it silly to draw the line at something like how big a hangar or deck elevator was.

I certainly don't see it as "silly" Lokasenna, it is up to the players. If someone wants to play a game that approaches "reality" as much as possible, it's this sort of restriction that would have to be employed. As someone who plays with realism in mind, I would not be adverse to such a rule (alone with others as you note) if offered by my opponent. Yes that would entail lots of "restrictions" but then again, real life entails lots of restrictions!

And you're all free to do so, or anything else really, just as I'm free to find it silly. 'Cause it is.
verdugo94

Post by verdugo94 »

Thanks for you anwsers, time to increase the jake production then :D I will learn to love them.
Grfin Zeppelin

Post by Grfin Zeppelin »

Thanks for you anwsers, time to increase the jake production then :D I will learn to love them.
Dont let them fly at their maximum range, use normal range for standard operations. Otherwise your ops losses will be really high.

verdugo94

Post by verdugo94 »

ORIGINAL: Gräfin Zeppelin

Dont let them fly at their maximum range, use normal range for standard operations. Otherwise your ops losses will be really high.

Thanks for the advice!
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: Gräfin Zeppelin

You can fly at max range if the search percentage is suitably low, you have extra pilots, and you have reserve aircraft.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”