Kaga enters service

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Dili

Kaga enters service

Post by Dili »

wdolson

RE: Kaga enters service

Post by wdolson »

At least this one doesn't have three flight decks.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
Anachro

Post by Anachro »

Kind of cool they are re-using the name. I wish the U.S. had kept to its old carrier naming conventions...
"Now excuse me while I go polish my balls ..." - BBfanboy
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

The old carrier names have gone to amphibious ships and cruisers. I think the naming conventions around WW II was much more reasonable. You could often figure out what type a ship something was by the name alone.

Bill
Leandros

Post by Leandros »

Looks very tidy....[:)]..

Fred
River Wide, Ocean Deep - a book on Operation Sea Lion - www.fredleander.com
Saving MacArthur - a book series on how The Philippines were saved - in 1942! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D3 ... rw_dp_labf
adarbrauner

Post by adarbrauner »

I guess than more than a politician , historian or nationalist in Asia an even beyond might feel some ice, cold bad feeling and thrill and not so confortable - and scared aswell - in seeing a major warship,basically an aircraft carrier, with the Japanese war flag, and with the same old names as well...

I really think this shooting and what it represents or may represent or imply, may generate deep apprehension to more than one, even in Japan. and not without justification.

I think that no one has desire or need to see old Japan rising again.
adarbrauner

Post by adarbrauner »

That's a damned big ship, not just an helicopter carrier.

And what generates more apprenhesion and scares me is to see the crew and the officers on the deck knowing very well what they may think in that moment (basically "we are back again in the business, nothing has changed". and do not tell me they don't think so, you know and I know they are full aware of the meaning of the launch of the ship.

G-d save China and the PCU.
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

The new Kaga is the second ship in the Izumo class of helicopter destroyers. The Izumo was commissioned in 2015. The Ise and Hyuga helicopter carriers were commissioned in 2009 and 2011. The Izumo class is 19000 tons empty and 27000 tons with a full load. Small by modern standards, American LHA are more than twice the tonnage. China's carriers both in service and planned are more than twice as big. China has an 80 Ktonner under construction.

The Japanese have to call them destroyers because the constitution the US occupation forced through after WW II prohibited the Japanese from having anything larger than destroyers in their navy.

As far as the politics of it all, let's leave that for another forum.

Bill
Lovejoy

Post by Lovejoy »

The majesty of the moment is somewhat spoiled by the guy trying balance the Japanese flag on his knee while he's folding it[:D]

That's a fine looking ship
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

Do the Japanese have female sailors...I think I might have seen one. I wonder what their take on that is?

Beautiful ship.
Jorge_Stanbury

Post by Jorge_Stanbury »

Considering that Japan's only potential short-to-medium term foes are: China, North Korea and Russia; building helicopter-carrying "destroyers" makes quite a lot of sense, as anything other than submarines (meaning surface fleet) don't have the slightest chance of getting anywhere near the home islands

In the meantime, they are "relearning" how to build and operate carriers. Kind of the same idea with nuclear weapons: they have vast stockpiles of plutonium and they have a space program, they can weaponize both in little time, something that China is probably well aware of
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

Do the Japanese have any Harriers so as to equip this with jumpjets???? Hal
Jorge_Stanbury

Post by Jorge_Stanbury »

no, and Harriers are getting old anyway,

they are buying/ building F-35A; the air force version, but who knows maybe in the future they will buy some F-35B, or even build/ modify some themselves
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

Thanks Jorge, I didn't think they had them. Yes the Harrier is an old frame, but the concept is an important one. Given the potential adversaries that face Japan (as noted above) such an aircraft could hold its own out at sea.
Alpha77

Post by Alpha77 »

Ah more profits for the military-industrial-bankster complex [>:] Look up Japans debt status - but Greece did also buy more weapons..as long the big companies and banks profit everything is fine [8|]

Endless creedyness of bankster onlyone example:

Banks Get Bailout Money, Then Give BILLIONS in Bonuses! Stock Market Insanity!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcRUUILVVlY
Lovejoy

Post by Lovejoy »

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

Do the Japanese have female sailors...I think I might have seen one. I wonder what their take on that is?

Beautiful ship.

Yes they do. In fact, they have started to have their first women captains. Here's an article from Time magazine about the first two women appointed to command Japanese ships. Mind you, the ships are apparently used mostly for training, but that's still a big step. Apparently the Japanese defense forces have been slower in incorporating woman that the U.S or other western nations, but are actually better than the Japanese private sector. Women are still restricted to largely non-combat roles, but I think that's the rule in a lot of militaries that have female personnel.

http://nation.time.com/2013/03/22/japan ... d-finally/
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: Alpha77

Ah more profits for the military-industrial-bankster complex [>:] Look up Japans debt status - but Greece did also buy more weapons..as long the big companies and banks profit everything is fine [8|]

Endless creedyness of bankster onlyone example:

Banks Get Bailout Money, Then Give BILLIONS in Bonuses! Stock Market Insanity!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcRUUILVVlY

Alpha77...obviously you're suffering some "episode" and have very clearly disregarded the mod's advice about taking politics offline. We're not particularly interested in your political blather, so don't squeeze in any more of your drivel here.
Revthought

Post by Revthought »

ORIGINAL: adarbrauner

I guess than more than a politician , historian or nationalist in Asia an even beyond might feel some ice, cold bad feeling and thrill and not so confortable - and scared aswell - in seeing a major warship,basically an aircraft carrier, with the Japanese war flag, and with the same old names as well...

I really think this shooting and what it represents or may represent or imply, may generate deep apprehension to more than one, even in Japan. and not without justification.

I think that no one has desire or need to see old Japan rising again.

Nah, it would take serious conversion work to just get it to support v-launch aircraft. It's not really designed in such a way for conversion to an actual carrier. So it's big, but it really is just a helicopter carrier.
Playing at war is a far better vocation than making people fight in them.
Dili

Post by Dili »

ORIGINAL: Anachro

Kind of cool they are re-using the name. I wish the U.S. had kept to its old carrier naming conventions...

An Admiral said: fish, marine animals, battles don't vote the budget. Aircraft Carriers are now Presidents and the politician naming now goes to every ship.
Alpha77

Post by Alpha77 »

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

Alpha77...obviously you're suffering some "episode" and have very clearly disregarded the mod's advice about taking politics offline. We're not particularly interested in your political blather, so don't squeeze in any more of your drivel here.

Political ? That is so called "economics" so has nothing to do with politic..[>:] "Economics" also forbidden ?
What do you mean with "episode" ? Episode of truth ? Is that negative in your view? Is it positive in your view countries are in huge debts, poeple get poorer but weapons are bought in masses? But we can leave it at that.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”