Chinese Penetrating-Bunker Buster Bombs

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

mikmykWS

Chinese Penetrating-Bunker Buster Bombs

Post by mikmykWS »

Hi All

I've been trying to research what Penetrator class guided bombs and missiles China might be using but haven't found anything conclusive. I've seen many pictures of the Optical KAB-1500 but not the LGB. Anybody know of any other aircraft launched bombs or missiles they might be using? You'd think they've have these as the ROC military are dug in like ticks.

Lots of their ballistic missiles seem to have these warheads and we seemed to have captured that well in the DB[:)]
Rocksoldier

RE: Chinese Penetrating-Bunker Buster Bombs

Post by Rocksoldier »

I would like to help, but im not sure how much i can find that you didn't alredy know. I did some research on KAB-1500 family and found out this:

The upper one is blast fragmentation, the one on bottom is penetrating warhead. It's a drawing but i think it shows that externeally the two bombs are identical. I have no idea how we can understand from a photo if there is one warhead or the other. Also i have no idea if those are actually operated by China.

Then i found this that i think is from the producer of those bombs: http://eng.ktrv.ru/production_eng/323/518/538/

mikmykWS

Post by mikmykWS »

Yeah they're russian

The Chinese bought a bunch of the optically guided kind but haven't seen any laser guided Kab-1500 Penetrators on an aircraft. Wondering if they might have something similar.

Mike
ExNusquam

Post by ExNusquam »

Some quick searching on Jane's indicates that the Chinese do have KAB-1500Ls. There's no real info on PLA penetration warheads...it's noted that their guidance kits are theoretically compatible, but every weapon I checked is explicitly noted as having an HE warhead.
Hongjian

Post by Hongjian »

As of now, there doesnt seem to be any indigenous chinese bunker busters in PLAAF service. Well, the concept of using the airforce to conduct strikes is rather new for China, so...

Dysta

Post by Dysta »

It caught me quite of surprise actually. There are quite a fleet of Chinese guided air bombs, but very little info is about the penetrator variant.

The only closest bomb I find is called GB-1000, or "Sky Spear", the 1000KG laser guided bomb that have a similar design of GBU-28, but it's slightly lighter than KAB-1500.

http://wap.eastday.com/node2/node3/n403 ... 7_t62.html
http://www.readhouse.net/articles/40260912/

There are many others models including SDB and drone versions of GP, but I haven't find any picture yet.

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”