Battle Brothers Review on AWNT

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Ranger33

Battle Brothers Review on AWNT

Post by Ranger33 »

Link to review

I had to make sure I posted this review here because I think a lot of you guys might like it. It hits a lot of the same buttons as games like Mount & Blade, XCOM, Darkest Dungeon, etc. It's a lot of fun building up your company of mercenaries, and slightly less fun watching them die in horrible ways.
LarryP

RE: Battle Brothers Review on AWNT

Post by LarryP »

This game is hard. I die too much to have fun anymore. [:)]
Ranger33

Post by Ranger33 »

ORIGINAL: LarryP

This game is hard. I die too much to have fun anymore. [:)]

Yeah, I had to switch to easy difficulty for the purposes of the review, kept getting wiped out on the medium setting! Even on easy you can lose three or four guys in short order if things go poorly.
RodyMetal

Post by RodyMetal »

I read the review, that was a very good one.
Question though, what it is the main difference that distinguish this game from M&B other than randomize world and low fantasy setting, I am really considering to get that but I need something to convince me more, I really loved M&B single player but the quests can get tedious and repeating a lot of small battles get old and boring quickly.

Rgerads
Add me, Steam name: RAIED
Steam Profile:
RAIED
Ranger33

Post by Ranger33 »

ORIGINAL: RodyMetal

I read the review, that was a very good one.
Question though, what it is the main difference that distinguish this game from M&B other than randomize world and low fantasy setting, I am really considering to get that but I need something to convince me more, I really loved M&B single player but the quests can get tedious and repeating a lot of small battles get old and boring quickly.

Rgerads

The quests are more interesting than in M&B. Early on there are a few of the "Take this over there" type of quests, but you eventually run into more interesting ones. You can also have seemingly standard quests be altered by the choose your own adventure moments, where your choice might make one of the major houses mad at you or cause something else to happen. I hated the quests in vanilla M&B (Deliver a letter to so-and-so for the hundredth time, bleh) and these are not nearly that tedious, though they are still of the randomly generated variety.

The combat doesn't vary wildly from one battle to the next, but if you are playing on anything other than easy you will have to think about what weapons you are using, depending on the type of enemy you are facing. I know in M&B the small battles got pretty repetitive, since it didn't really matter what you did. You can see the general difficulty level of a quest before you accept it, so you can just skip over the easy ones after a certain point, if you want.

There are some Let's Play videos on youtube, might check some of those out to get a feel for how it actually plays.
RodyMetal

Post by RodyMetal »

thanks a lot ranger, thats sound awesome, i will watch some youtube, mostly it will be my next purchase.

Add me, Steam name: RAIED
Steam Profile:
RAIED
goodwoodrw

Post by goodwoodrw »

I bought this game today, view videos and after a few starts I'm getting the hang of it. Typical though, finally got a good start and then had a power failure and lost my game[:@] I'll yet a againdB
Huh discovered the auto save. And saving regularly finally got me going.
I'm now 30 plus days into the campaign. Leparning something new every hour I play. The weather wa9s bad yesterday so I gave the game a good thrashing, up to 15 hours now. The detail is incredible, I think many gamers here will find this little game most enjoyable.
Formerly Goodwood

wodin

Post by wodin »

Love this game
goodwoodrw

Post by goodwoodrw »

Me too something a little different.
Hey Wodin how do you deal with those pesky Direwolves? I don't have problems dealing with humans, but animals and undeads challenge me.
Formerly Goodwood

Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

Is it only available on steam? I abhore steam. Lost to many games cause of a glitch that wipes your account info.
Favoritism is alive and well here.
nicwb

Post by nicwb »

I have seen a few play through and read Ranger's helpful review- looks like a fun but interesting game - definitely on the buy list for me.(assuming I can find time to play [8|]
wodin

Post by wodin »

I managed to take out a small pack of dire wolves ( I had the numbers)..pesky undead is a real pain, esp if well armoured..plus stay well away from Orcs until you have an uber party..
ORIGINAL: BASB

Me too something a little different.
Hey Wodin how do you deal with those pesky Direwolves? I don't have problems dealing with humans, but animals and undeads challenge me.

Return to “General Discussion”