Grumman G 21

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

DOCUP

Grumman G 21

Post by DOCUP »

Looking for information on the Goose. I can find specs. I'm looking for what units flew these and in what numbers. I just found out that there was some Gooses in the Philippine's in 1941. I know the British had a few also. Did they have any in the Pacific?
btd64

RE: Grumman G 21

Post by btd64 »

ORIGINAL: DOCUP

Looking for information on the Goose. I can find specs. I'm looking for what units flew these and in what numbers. I just found out that there was some Gooses in the Philippine's in 1941. I know the British had a few also. Did they have any in the Pacific?

Take a look in RHS. I think Sid added them....GP
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
DOCUP

Post by DOCUP »

I didn't see them in his RHS scen. But I also didn't look in all of his scen's.
Buckrock

Post by Buckrock »

For the US, the available Goose aircraft were scattered amongst various observation, utility, training, headquarters air units of the
Navy and (far less commonly) Army. If a unit had the aircraft on its books, it would normally be in numbers of 4 or less with other
types making up the rest of the unit's OOB.

I don't remember reading of any US squadron primarily equipped with the type in the Pacific but if such a unit existed, it would
likely have been one of the Navy VJ (Utility) squadrons early in the war.

What info I've seen on the Brits only mentioned the Goose being operated in the Atlantic theatre.
This was the only sig line I could think of.
DOCUP

Post by DOCUP »

Buckrock: I have done some more research and found out what you have stated is pretty much true. They were scattered in all around in small numbers for the USN,USMC, and USCG. I know the Army had some stationed in the PI and HI. The Dutch even had 5 or so at the start of the war. I have found out the J2F duck was all over the place in small numbers also.
Buckrock

Post by Buckrock »

I'd forgotten about the two dozen or so that served with the USCG.

The USAAC in the Philippines (FEAF) reportedly had only one operational Goose (AO-9) remaining on their "official" list at the start of the
war. That aircraft was struck off by the end of December 1941. The Asiatic Fleet didn't appear to have been equipped with any JRFs during
its existence. However, that's not to say that there were no other "Geese" (ie with the PAF or commercial aircraft) serving in the Philippines.

Pearl Harbor USAAC records have 4 AO-9s present in Hawaii in Dec '41, with 3 being "lost" during the attack (some may have later been repaired
and returned to service). There were also 5 JRFs spread between VJ-3 and two of the Hawaiian naval air stations. They reportedly suffered no
losses during the attack.

The Dutch "Geese" in the NEI appear to have been operated by the KLM commercial airline rather than the navy's MLD.

And there appears to have been considerably more J2F's than JRF's in US naval and coastguard service early in the war. The term "Duck, Duck,
Goose" would probably be an apt description.
DOCUP

Post by DOCUP »

Buckrock: So only one in the Philippines. Thanks for that. Yes, the Dutch Geese was with the KLM. From what I have read (and I may be wrong) the KLM was brought under military control. They transported civilians, troops and supplies around DEI's until they were ordered to fly to Australia.

I have also found that the USN and KLM had a few S-38s and 43's around. I have found that the USN had 10 S-43s and Pearl.

The Duck, Duck, Goose is pretty funny.
Buckrock

Post by Buckrock »

Actually I'd forgotten to mention there were two Dutch commercial airlines operating for the NEI, the international KLM and the regional
KNILM, the latter having 4 G-21s as well as other types like the Sikorsky S-43. According to Tom Womack's "The Allied Defence of the Malay
Barrier", by the time the KNILM had withdrawn to Australia, it had lost 18 of its 30 aircraft (including 3 of its G-21s) during the three
months of the Japanese offensive.

Not sure if this is of any help but online somewhere there is a series of BuAer "Status of Naval Aircraft" monthly reports for the opening
months of the war. It lists the monthly numbers and locations for every USN aircraft type on the USN's books. I took some notes from
them some time ago but I'm pretty sure they're still online. Just try a search for the report name I mentioned if you are interested.
Leandros

Post by Leandros »

This website has some infor on the "Goose" - under "comments".: http://www.aviastar.org/air/usa/grumman_goose.php?p=1

"Michael P. Jungers, 16.01.2010

In the Summer of 1941,the Army Air Corps had OA-9s in the Philippines. See page 30 of Pacific War Eagles by Jeffery L. Ethell/Warren M. Bodie 1997.Widewing Publications.The Tail number is:176/20AB;the Goose is shown in colour at IBA Airfield. I cannot find any listed in my references or what happened when war came....ANY CLUES or other references."

Fred
River Wide, Ocean Deep - a book on Operation Sea Lion - www.fredleander.com
Saving MacArthur - a book series on how The Philippines were saved - in 1942! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D3 ... rw_dp_labf
DOCUP

Post by DOCUP »

Buck: I read some about the KNILM. I changed a few things around with them in my mod.

Leandros: I see your name a lot in different forums, I have been reading recently. When I see your name I read a little slower to make sure I get your point.
Leandros

Post by Leandros »

ORIGINAL: DOCUP

Buck: I read some about the KNILM. I changed a few things around with them in my mod.

Leandros: I see your name a lot in different forums, I have been reading recently. When I see your name I read a little slower to make sure I get your point.

Ok, is that good or bad...[:)]..?..what is my point, please...?

Fred
Saving MacArthur - a book series on how The Philippines were saved - in 1942! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D3 ... rw_dp_labf
Leandros

Post by Leandros »

ORIGINAL: Buckrock

Actually I'd forgotten to mention there were two Dutch commercial airlines operating for the NEI, the international KLM and the regional
KNILM, the latter having 4 G-21s as well as other types like the Sikorsky S-43. According to Tom Womack's "The Allied Defence of the Malay
Barrier", by the time the KNILM had withdrawn to Australia, it had lost 18 of its 30 aircraft (including 3 of its G-21s) during the three
months of the Japanese offensive.
Tom Womack has also written a book specifically on the Dutch naval air force in the DEI (NEI).
It can be found as a Kindle edition on Amazon, I recommend it. Link below.

The story of the Dutch air defense of their colony is quite interesting, especially the basing
policy, with more than 30 outlying seaplane bases with stored fuel and communication systems.

https://www.amazon.com/Dutch-Naval-Forc ... bc?ie=UTF8

Fred
DOCUP

Post by DOCUP »

It's a good thing.
Jorge_Stanbury

Post by Jorge_Stanbury »

ORIGINAL: Leandros
especially the basing policy, with more than 30 outlying seaplane bases with stored fuel and communication systems.

I bet the Japanese were very happy about it [:)]

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”