STAVKA - 8 player multiplayer Soviet thread

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

Hortlund

RE: STAVKA - 8 player multiplayer Soviet thread

Post by Hortlund »

OOC

Ok, turn is now in the STAVKA folder, vonKleist, you are up. Report in the thread when you have completed your turn and then Sardaukar is up, then Shonyu.
The era of procrastination, of half-measures, of soothing and baffling expedients, of delays, is coming to a close.
In its place we are entering a period of consequences..
panzer cat

Post by panzer cat »

I'm curious to see how such a large multi player game turns out. I would consider moving the air force to the safety of the general reserve very gamey, Uncle Joe might send you east to count trees.[:-]
Sardaukar

Post by Sardaukar »

PzJgr Hortlund IS Stalin. [:D]

I have choise of being either Pavlov or Tyulenev..I choose latter, since he didn't get shot...[:'(][8D]
"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

EwaldvonKleist

Post by EwaldvonKleist »

Sorry guysIts night here in Germany so I can not do this turn now, too tired. Maybe AGC or AGS can move first, or you have to wait.
I will play my turn in 10-12 hours.

@Panzer Cat: I agree that sending the airforce to the national Reserve is gamey. Doing it is appropriate if the German player does the Super Lvov Pocket and such stuff, but not here. Therefore I don't advocate for it anymore.
EwaldvonKleist

Post by EwaldvonKleist »

Am I allowed to colour my part of the Soviet army at will? It helps me a lot to get a better overview...
Hortlund

Post by Hortlund »

Sure
The era of procrastination, of half-measures, of soothing and baffling expedients, of delays, is coming to a close.
EwaldvonKleist

Post by EwaldvonKleist »

Sorry if I missed something but how is the Soviet password?
sh0nyu

Post by sh0nyu »

Comrade Commander - am I allowed to try to free the encircled Units near Lvov and Kovel? My objective would be to save necessary material for the Red Army. That material is needed to raise the Chance for effective Counter attacks against the German Invaders.
(7th Jan 2020)
Jan 42 GC as Allies (PBEM)
Dec 41 of first GC as Japan (PBEM)
Hortlund

Post by Hortlund »

Yes comrade, it would also be beneficial if you managed to save the armored units that are currently frozen west of Kiev, so please plan accordingly.
Sardaukar

Post by Sardaukar »

Also, what is AP allocation?
"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

EwaldvonKleist

Post by EwaldvonKleist »

AP=Admin Points
EwaldvonKleist

Post by EwaldvonKleist »

Ok I begin my turn now.
I plan to set everything in the north to refit because of the morale gain. If you think my front will get an unfair share of replacements on this way, I can reduce the TOE of my untis.
I prefer having everything on Refit and play around with Max TOE instead.
EwaldvonKleist

Post by EwaldvonKleist »

Have uploaded my turn. Name: "Soviet turn North done".
If you are fine with it I assume command over the mechanized corps between mine and the central area.
I was a bit disappointed to find the Airborne Corps disbanded, but I should not say this to loud (to avoid being shot by one of the NKVD regiments...).
I think we should rail a few units north or at least send the most early reinforcements there, because I have not even enough units to build fortifications.
I suggest setting the TOE of all Headquarters to 93% or so, from what I have read this is the optimum (there is an admin drop below 90% and nothing to gain from more than 90%?)
Concerning the airfoce: I have sent everything below 50 morale and better units at airbase far away from the front to NR (only airbases in my area).

Hortlund

Post by Hortlund »

Ok, in the future, dont touch any airbase units. Even if they are your color. They are mine. [:)]
M60A3TTS

Post by M60A3TTS »

ORIGINAL: Panzerjaeger Hortlund

As Commander Im responsible for all airforce- things. I will do all airforce things before I send the turn to the front-commanders. But I will of cource use the airforce to support you guys as best I can.

You and your team may want to rethink this at some point. Over the intermediate and long term, this isn't a practical arrangement. You're putting yourselves in an operational straightjacket with PH conducting all air operations before the ground forces even have the opportunity to develop the situation. For example, if one of the three ground commanders attack an Axis unit under the current setup, and you win, the enemy retreats. It may be valuable to bomb that unit prior to attacking it again that same turn. Under your current model, that's not allowed. If this was the arrangement on the Axis side, I couldn't agree with it as they are attacking early in the game and would really hurt themselves. Since you attack far less often in the early game, it's not so important, but eventually this will catch up to you.

You might consider modifying this somewhat by leaving PH to still manage the administration of your airforce, active and reserve, as well control over the Long Range Air Command with the accompanying BAKs. Then he can assign whatever air assets he wishes to it, effectively managing the level bomber fleet plus whatever it needs to do whatever missions he wants. Everything else on-map that PH leaves for the front air commands/air armies could be managed by the other three.

My $.02
Hortlund

Post by Hortlund »

Well, that is basically the idea. There were no air-ground cooperation in the Red Army during the war, at least not before 1944. Letting the front commanders control the airforce would give them a completely ahistorical advantage.
Sardaukar

Post by Sardaukar »

What is the Soviet password? That might help immensely to open the file....[:-]

5 Ap allocation I managed to deduct...but password...[:'(]

Sardaukar

Post by Sardaukar »

Tanks! [&o][:D][:D]

EwaldvonKleist

Post by EwaldvonKleist »

ORIGINAL: Panzerjaeger Hortlund

Ok, in the future, dont touch any airbase units. Even if they are your color. They are mine. [:)]
Sorry Hortlundski, to me they looked like they weren't touched so far so I decided to do it myself. IMO we should send everything below 50 morale to the reserve. If we fly with 30 Mrl. airgroups we are just throwing away airbase slots, trucks, supplies and planes.

Regarding the airforce management: I don't know how the system in the Soviet union worked. However, the air commands are subordinates of the fronts, not of a superior air command or the STAVKA. So I think the front commanders had at least some influence in real life?
From a game point of view: The front commanders know where they need ground bombing, and they know where the airbases can be placed safe and where not+ the point about bombing retreated units again.
From an ingame point of view, the system you suggest Hortlund is very very ineffecient and limits our airforce.

I am fine if you prefer it because you think its more historical or emphasizes the idea of roleplay or whatever.

Hortlund

Post by Hortlund »

You may get control later, but not in the summer of 41

Return to “After Action Reports”