Restricted Indian Divisions - Advice Observations

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Macclan5

Restricted Indian Divisions - Advice Observations

Post by Macclan5 »

Seeking some experienced advice about the "restricted Indian Divisions'. Advice / Observations.

Question: Buy them out - upgrade them - send them to war ?

Do you often do so?

Do you have any links to a particular AAR? Anecdotes to share?

* I think I see evidence of this in Apbarog: See you in Tokyo Bay currently though I will have to review the AAR for OOB.

Also I read this in trying to search my answer but I am unsure if implemented.

tm.asp?m=761383&mpage=7&key=Indian%2CDivisions󏇍

--

In my "new learned attempt" at this game I notice a lot more details this time around. Previously I bought back the Indian Division destroyed in Singapore on the "cheap" - changed HQ on the cheap - sent to Karachi - built it up - and finally added it to the push though Burma into French Indonesia. May have even been 2 Indian divisions as I recall (from Singapore). My limited experience is that upgraded they perform rather well.

However there are many more Indian Divisions than I noted previously.[X(]

Currently in late 42 I see no less than 4 or 5 restricted Indian Divisions about the map - and I do not believe they are permanently restricted either. I am away from my game files but off the top of my head:

70th Indian Division ? Shows up early in the game in Madras (withdraws early though as I recall)
A Punjab Division that can be consolidated up near Delhi
Another Indian Division that can be consolidated Hyderabad
and then ... 2 more Indian Division show up in Madras (Southern and Eastern Command IIRC)

This is on top of the Burma (re-constitued) Division and the British / Indian Divisions I already have available through re-enforcement. I believe I underutilized these potential Indian Divisions - being too preoccupied with garrison requirements - being a rookie player

However it appears to me that the Supreme Commander Allied Force Pacific could in fact deploy a very significant force relatively early into Burma / Indonesia albeit one that may be "under supported with Artillery / Armored Divisions. [&o]
A People that values its privileges above it's principles will soon loose both. Dwight D Eisenhower.
szmike

RE: Restricted Indian Divisions - Advice Oberservations

Post by szmike »

From memory these divisions (2 at least, they come to Madras and Bombay) come with 20/40 (exp/morale), so they are pretty much unusable for about half of 1942. There're 2 Punjab divisions which are split, garrisoned (unmovable), and perma-restricted. Then there're are other 2 at the start of the game, which are split and semi-usable - quite low morale/experience. I think there's 1 or 2 more coming early in 1942, 1 of them having OKish experience.
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

That hyperlinked thread is from classical WITP, not AE.  So what exactly re "implementation" in AE do you have in mind?

Alfred 
pontiouspilot

RE: Restricted Indian Divisions - Advice Observations

Post by pontiouspilot »

I use them all the time, albeit in defence. They can get to Chittagong without being bought out. That's always a key position. If they have the benefit of some forts and experienced help they quickly gain experience. I wouldn't want them attacking until they are at 50%. You make an excellent point about buying out some of those units early on while they are cheap. I rarely remember to do that.
GetAssista

Post by GetAssista »

Indian divisions are pretty cheap, about 800-900pp, and can be useful in Burma defence later in 42 when parked into good terrain/forts. You should train them first though on 100 prep because their xp is at woeful 20 and they have lots of disablements.

For upgrades, as with all Brit/Commonwealth units real men (Brits and Anzacs) get new stuff first. Then rationing happens depending on how many new Indian inf squads you have. Indian early and 42 squads are rubbish (just as Brit ones), but Indian 43 squads are on par with Brits and Aussies so can pack some punch on the offensive when they gain some xp
Macclan5

Post by Macclan5 »

ORIGINAL: Alfred

That hyperlinked thread is from classical WITP, not AE.  So what exactly re "implementation" in AE do you have in mind?

Alfred 

OOps newbie search challenge - I am still a "diesel VW Golf" merging on the information super highway [8D]

When I searched - I searched for 'list of Indian Divisions' hence that popped up top.

What I was really looking for was a user made list from one of the vets around Indian Divisions (number etc) / Timing / Location of arrival.

There are many such good threads and lists from this community.[&o]

Never the less I can figure it out the old fashion way - click click click click - and pen and note pad.

But the advice part IS the extra ask..... [:D]
A People that values its privileges above it's principles will soon loose both. Dwight D Eisenhower.
Macclan5

Post by Macclan5 »

ORIGINAL: GetAssista

Indian divisions are pretty cheap, about 800-900pp, and can be useful in Burma defence later in 42 when parked into good terrain/forts. You should train them first though on 100 prep because their xp is at woeful 20 and they have lots of disablements.

For upgrades, as with all Brit/Commonwealth units real men (Brits and Anzacs) get new stuff first. Then rationing happens depending on how many new Indian inf squads you have. Indian early and 42 squads are rubbish (just as Brit ones), but Indian 43 squads are on par with Brits and Aussies so can pack some punch on the offensive when they gain some xp

Thank you sir.. that is indeed value add.

What struck me is indeed what you opine on... how extremely inexpensive they are to buy out vis a vis Cost of Australian Division or Cost of USA Army Division.

As I recall - with III Indian Corps, IV Indian Corps, Eastern Army, and XXXIII HQ readily available by late 1942 and massive supplies building and stockpiled in India ... I fully appreciated the implications of low morale and TOE upgrades... but it seems to me to be well worth the investment although there is an opportunity cost verses the Auzzies / Americans.

Inexperience : Having diverted the 2 Auzzie Divisions (and one bought out American) into India / Burma... I think in future I might instead amass these Indian Divisions on the front line in Burma .. be patient .. await the upgrades .. and look for other opportunities else where with those same Auzzie / Yanks.

crsutton

Post by crsutton »

Some of the advice you are getting here is not spot on. I have two campaigns under my belt, both which had a lot of fighting in Burma and India. I found that the Indian army by 1944 had become my most experienced and powerful troops outside of the Marines. It is ironic that US division in the Pacific do not gain much experience since their operations tend to be short but violent grabs of Island bases. It is sustained everyday combat that hardens your unit up. By 1945, it was my crack Indian troops that were leading the way.

Now here is what I do to build up an effective and unrestricted Indian army. A lot depends of if you have an aggressive opponent. If Japan invades India, your units will gain experience but combat attrition will slow the growth of the Indian army. I don't mind this though as I think it is a mistake for Japan to commit to a major operation in India.

At start you get a bunch of untrained, low morale, under strength units. The aim is to build up the army and purchase them out as efficiently as possible. India gets a good replacement rate for squads. You will want to plan so that you are upgrading your units to the next level as soon as possible, so that you have plenty of the most modern squads in your pools. You do this by upgrading a few small units and then disbanding them until you have enough squads in your pools to upgrade your brigades and divisions.

Here is how I build up and purchase out.

1. You get a lot of independent brigades. Upgrade the squads but not necessarily the devices. I will then selectively start to disband brigades to fill my squad pools to fill out divisions first.
2. Concentrate on rebuilding the few unrestricted division that you have first. Turn off replacements for all restricted units.
3. Upgrade your squads in restricted divisions but turn off replacements.
4. Start disbanding restrictive divisions and let them return in 180 days as cadres. If you are fighting hard, do this slowly and selectively. If India is relatively quite you can do more than one division at a time. Then when the unit returns in 180 days, buy it out immediately for hardly any PP and then start to rebuild. I do not rebuild brigades until all my divisions are up to full strength. Rebuild at least three battalion level units because you will need them when the next squad upgrade comes.

This is what I mostly do. I do buy out some divisions without disbanding if I have spare PPs but PPs are rare. However, I do not ever build up a restricted division before buying it out. The real shortage for the Allies in 1942-43 is PP. This way you can build up your Indian army with a minimum of PP expenditures. Some might call this method gamey but I do not agree since you are trading off six months of not having the unit to gain some PP. Fair to me.

If you are fighting hard vs Japan you will just have to accept that some units are never going to return. However, I am willing to trade quantity for quality anytime. Indian division get larger as the war progress and many replace their British squads with Indian. This in itself puts a tremendous demand on your pools. My current campaign just turned 1/44 and I do not have a single independent Indian brigade. However, all my divisions are unrestricted and in the fight. It is a powerful force.

It takes a lot of thought to manage your Commonwealth troops. The biggest problem is that they all share the same device pools and replacements for devices is not good. It takes some practice but it is kind of fun.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

Return to “The War Room”