Kaunas Secondary Supply Source

A sub-forum for players new to WIF, containing information on how to get started and become an experienced player.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

JagWars

Kaunas Secondary Supply Source

Post by JagWars »

The Germans have Conquered Lithuania, capital Kaunas.
Should not Kaunas be a secondary supply source for Germany as a conquered minor country?
The Sig II (3-5 armoured artillery) next to Kaunas is out of supply (see below.
Am I missing something in the rules?

Attachments
Knaunas2ndSupply.jpg
Knaunas2ndSupply.jpg (1.36 MiB) Viewed 63 times
JagWars

RE: Kaunas Secondary Supply Source

Post by JagWars »

A saved game file.
Attachments
Kaunas2nd..ySource.zip
(1.48 MiB) Downloaded 1 time
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

There are some Russian controlled hexes in Latvia and Lithuania. Did the Russians control Kaunas at any point in this game turn? That could explain it since you must control the supply source throughout the turn for it to be operable.
Paul
JagWars

Post by JagWars »

Hmmm, I see one Soviet hex in Lithuania, not sure why though. The Germans conquered Lithuania during the previous summer.
The Soviets set up in neither Lithuania nor Latvia. Their current location is essentially their start up positions at the beginning of the campaign.
The Germans have not conquered Latvia.
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

Then it appears to be a supply bug.
Paul
JagWars

Post by JagWars »

I wonder if the Baltic states are an exception to the conquest of minor country rules. The Germans just occupied Riga last turn, but during the interphase there was not mention of conquest of Latvia. I also notice that the only hexes marked as German are the ones that were physically moved through.
Every interphase, the game asks if Germany wants to Liberate Lithuania. Next time I shall answer yes and see if Kaunas becomes a secondary supply source for the Germans.
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

Yes that's it! Check the supply rules and you'll see the capital of a minor country is only a secondary source if the country is aligned or conquered. You have left it in neither state since the USSR conquered it and you now *can* (and should) liberate it. That accounts for the hex still controlled by the USSR as well.

There are times when you actually are well advised not to liberate a country due to who gets hex control and complete conquest rules. FREX Allies take Paris but Germans have a chance to mount a good counterattack if they move first. That could mean a recently liberated France is put out of the game.

But for the Baltic States, you should always liberate them since they have no force pools.
Paul

Return to “WIF School”