Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Kull

RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE

Post by Kull »

After seven years and 2700 downloads, the AE-Allies Setup Spreadsheet has been revised, enhanced, and uploaded (see attachment to Post #1). This version closely mirrors the format used in the Japan Set-up spreadsheet and features 7 completely new worksheet tabs (to include "Getting Started") and includes changes to 1586 of the 4653 data rows. The opening five posts of this thread have been updated to fully reflect all the new information.

It's gratifying and somewhat surprising to see how many folks continue to use this spreadsheet as their "gateway" into WitP-AE, so in retrospect, this update was long overdue. For anyone who hasn't yet made the plunge, hopefully this will be just the little push you needed!
Skyros

Post by Skyros »

Thanks!
AlessandroD

Post by AlessandroD »

Thanks [&o]
traskott

Post by traskott »

Oooh, boy!! Thanks!!![&o]
Aksully

Post by Aksully »

Kull,
Maybe the first download in 2019 but did so today. An amazing undertaking that to me stands out as one of the great player done tools. Just starting my journey into this out-dated Grisby game classic. This is really quite an achievement in scope and usefulness.

For me it's not what needs/should/could be done but what I do considering your suggestions and to keep track of actions taken. I just completed the Day 1 turn and will use this gem....Great job!
Kull

Post by Kull »

ORIGINAL: Aksully

Kull,
Maybe the first download in 2019 but did so today. An amazing undertaking that to me stands out as one of the great player done tools. Just starting my journey into this out-dated Grisby game classic. This is really quite an achievement in scope and usefulness.

For me it's not what needs/should/could be done but what I do considering your suggestions and to keep track of actions taken. I just completed the Day 1 turn and will use this gem....Great job!

Happy to be of assistance!
Nowi Ribak

Post by Nowi Ribak »

Kull,

Let me say that Kull's spreadsheet also helped me setting up the Allies at the beginning.

@Kull - thank you very much, I just started in 2019 and your work is very much appreciated :-)
Yaab

Post by Yaab »

Enjoy the game! On a long enough timeline, the WITP AE's per-hour cost drops to zero.
Moltrey

Post by Moltrey »

I'd like to add that your spreadsheet helps in a number of ways, at least for me.
Practicing with orders to fulfill those rows is great, along with getting used to where areas actually are located and what units reside there.

Another big one for me is that moving through the Allied Setup made me think about what moves you were making and why.
Some I choose to change from the get-go, but not a lot. But the thought process gets your gourd working on the right kinds of things for WITP, so thanks!

I have some mini pie-in-the-sky ideas for paying back the community. I think I will keep the specifics to myself for now, but let's just say that all you guys who have gone above and beyond inspire me to do more than just learn and play.
"Chew, if only you could see what I've seen with your eyes." - Roy Batty
Kull

Post by Kull »

ORIGINAL: Moltrey

I'd like to add that your spreadsheet helps in a number of ways, at least for me.
Practicing with orders to fulfill those rows is great, along with getting used to where areas actually are located and what units reside there.

That's one of those things that WitP-AE veterans kind of forget about. The complexity of the game is one thing, but all the units and where they are! A big part of the learning cliff!
Another big one for me is that moving through the Allied Setup made me think about what moves you were making and why.
Some I choose to change from the get-go, but not a lot. But the thought process gets your gourd working on the right kinds of things for WITP, so thanks!

Korvar and I talked about that (OMG! Almost 3 years ago!) - one of the most important parts of the spreadsheet is "building the muscle memory" of all the things one needs to know. So by all means, change away....it means the core knowledge is seeping in and you're piecing it all together!
I have some mini pie-in-the-sky ideas for paying back the community. I think I will keep the specifics to myself for now, but let's just say that all you guys who have gone above and beyond inspire me to do more than just learn and play.

This is a GREAT forum, full of folks that are happy to help others. I'm frankly in awe of the sheer number of people who've developed amazing tools or detailed guides or even just take the time to answer questions, no matter how basic or complex. It's a *good* place!
Aksully

Post by Aksully »

So Kull as I look through the moves...you suggest convoys of fuel and supply out of Townsville to Horn Island. To what end? Local use or to forward where? Would have loved to see a Turn 3 suggestion! An amazing document to be sure. Brilliant
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

So Kull as I look through the moves...you suggest convoys of fuel and supply out of Townsville to Horn Island. To what end? Local use or to forward where? Would have loved to see a Turn 3 suggestion! An amazing document to be sure. Brilliant
You need to get supply to Horn Island to enable building forts and filling out TOE - which go toward helping defend the base. The IJ can still take it, but you don't want it to be a cheap conquest. The fuel is for shorter ranged ships that may not be able to make it further south as they evacuate the DEI for Eastern Oz.
For example the Dutch DDs are quite short-ranged, designed for the North Sea or the confines of the DEI, not running all over the Pacific.

If Horn Island is not taken by the IJN it is a threat to their passage through the strait, and it allows Allied TFs to sneak into the area between the DEI and Darwin. There are many such choke points on the map and it is likely the Japanese will give them a high priority.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Aksully

Post by Aksully »

Makes sense to me now. So did you ever think of doing a turn 3 addition? I really don't know how many hours you devoted to doing this but it is amazing. Thx!
Aksully

Post by Aksully »

Thanks for the info BBfanboy. Wasn't quite clear on whether it was going to be used locally or forwarded. Thx!
Aksully

Post by Aksully »

As I hit the Borneo section I see it says take No Action on Oil & Refineries. Wouldn't it be beneficial to stop production and try to remove as much as possible to Manila or places south? I'd thought stopping production on this turn would be the way to go? But I defer to the author and more experienced players to explain. Thx!
Aksully

Post by Aksully »

Yup another dumb question. For the Tarakan Base Force (Eng) it shows No Action then in green parenthesis is shows (Costs 16 PP). I understand that the Eng's are building Forts. Just not sure what the green 16 PP means? And the same for all the LCU's located at this base.

And the same question for the Oil & Refinery with No Action. Should I cease production on Turn 2 or close it down? Thx!
Kull

Post by Kull »

As I hit the Borneo section I see it says take No Action on Oil & Refineries. Wouldn't it be beneficial to stop production and try to remove as much as possible to Manila or places south? I'd thought stopping production on this turn would be the way to go? But I defer to the author and more experienced players to explain. Thx!

You are playing the AI, so there's likely to be a fair amount of time before the "places south" are taken, so grab what you can and don't worry if the enemy reaps some of your harvest. [;)]

Yup another dumb question. For the Tarakan Base Force (Eng) it shows No Action then in green parenthesis is shows (Costs 16 PP). I understand that the Eng's are building Forts. Just not sure what the green 16 PP means? And the same for all the LCU's located at this base.

Several units have "comments" notations in green, which is the Political Point cost to "buy them out", i.e. into an HQ that allows you to load them onto a ship and skedaddle, if that be your desire. I'm not making judgement calls, just providing the cost info.
And the same question for the Oil & Refinery with No Action. Should I cease production on Turn 2 or close it down? Thx!

You can certainly shut down certain production centers, but there's enough minutiae in the game as it is, so I didn't explore that in the spreadsheet.
Kull

Post by Kull »

Makes sense to me now. So did you ever think of doing a turn 3 addition? I really don't know how many hours you devoted to doing this but it is amazing. Thx!

Turn 2 is THE hardest part of the game. Or at least the most mind-numbingly time consuming. T-3 is cake. ALL the balls are rolling so you only need to worry about newly arrived units (a different tab in the spreadsheet), and those which have a multi-part move (and thus have light blue cells in Column F).

The idea is to just go with the flow for these first few game-time weeks, watch where your units are going, take your hits from the Japs, and learn how everything works. There is a "learning cliff" going on here, so most people abandon their first campaign fairly early, and take the lessons learned into another. And another. Ad infinitum. [:)]
Moltrey

Post by Moltrey »

ORIGINAL: Kull
There is a "learning cliff" going on here, so most people abandon their first campaign fairly early, and take the lessons learned into another. And another. Ad infinitum. [:)]

Jeez Kull, you make us all sound like masochists...

...oh, wait.
"Chew, if only you could see what I've seen with your eyes." - Roy Batty
Aksully

Post by Aksully »

Pirates more likely!

Return to “The War Room”