AI Files - Updating your build with the latest versions

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Kull

AI Files - Updating your build with the latest versions

Post by Kull »

Even though the last official AE Release (Patch 07 - v1.124) was issued on 3/16/2015, the most recent scenario in that patch is from 10/31/2010. Which means the AI in the most recent release is not current - a LOT has been done in this area between 2010 and now. Unfortunately, it's sprinkled around in various threads, so it can be hard even for AE veterans to keep track of what's available and which versions are newest. To help set the baseline, the graphic below shows all the relevant scenario information from the Patch 07 release:

Edit: Even though the .exe in the Patch 07 download has been updated to v1.126a, all the data files (including the AI) remains the same as in v1.124

Attachments
AIPic1.jpg
AIPic1.jpg (88.07 KiB) Viewed 3550 times
Kull

RE: AI Files - Updating your build with the latest versions

Post by Kull »

The guru for the AE-AI is AndyMac, and he created a special thread containing AI updates for most of the Patch 07 scenarios, plus 4 new ones. For those who play against the AI, it's mandatory that you add all 15 of these scenario updates. Some key information:
1) In the attached graphic, everything in green is new or updated content, over and above that available in Patch 07 (yellow is addressed in point #6 below).
2) The scenarios are available as individual downloads starting from Post #1 and finishing at Post #15.
3) All the AI downloads in that thread are individual "executables". So even though each file appears to be a zip, it's really an exe.
4) That is IMPORTANT, because if you don't download them properly, the files won't run! Saving them correctly can be a bit complicated, so please review the awesome graphical representation created by Quixote and follow his instructions EXACTLY. WARNING: If you are using Windows 10, the Chrome, Firefox and Edge browsers do NOT allow you to change the file type as shown in the graphic, so please use Internet Explorer (IE) for the download. Thanks to phoenix for the original tip about Edge, but I've since confirmed that the other two are also a problem.
5) When you have finished downloading the files and started to run them, BE CAREFUL. The default installation directory is incomplete, and must contain the appended folder /SCEN (which you can either manually type in at the end of the "destination directory" field, or navigate to using the "browse" button at the right of the window)
6) There are problems with some of the Guadalcanal scenario data (as Andy acknowledged in the thread), but fortunately Justus2 fixed it and made the changes available as a new Scenario 44 download (on 12/20/2014). You can either rename the files in Justus' download (change all file names with "044" to "004" and use that as the new Scen 4 or just drop them unchanged into the SCEN folder and play it as Scen 44. Just be aware that Justus only has one AI file in Scen 44, so you'll have greater variability if you make use of the new Andy AI variant files in his Scen 4 exe (they can be renumbered and copied into Scen 44, although, obviously, that's a bit more complicated).

Edit: Updated to explain that Justus' Guadalcanal fix has a different scenario number

Attachments
AIPic2.jpg
AIPic2.jpg (99.8 KiB) Viewed 3502 times
Kull

Post by Kull »

After you complete the mandatory update above, there's still a lot more to consider. As you can see from the graphic below, Andy has created eight new scenarios and updated 6 more (dark green). Half of the new scenarios are designated by a "Tier", and for those unfamiliar with Andy's terminology, that indicates a greater degree of difficulty (usually in the form of more assets for the enemy). The prior terminology was "Nasty" (Tier 2) and "Nasty Nasty" (Tier 3), often used interchangeably. A few cautionary notes:
- Both Ironman Tier 2 scenarios and the Allied Ironman Tier 3 (the first 3 in the table below, scenario numbers highlighted in red) use the same scenario slots as the two Ironman Tier 1 scenarios. So you *should* create new scenario slots for those. Or just not add them until/unless you want to play the higher difficulty level Tiers. Personally I would recommend using a new Scenario number because even if you overwrite the Tier 1 files, all the Tier 1 AI variants still remain unchanged (hence the sections highlighted in yellow).
- Allied Ironman Tier 3 (third row) is especially problematic as it uses the AI file from Allied Ironman Tier 2 (second row), so you have to overwrite the Scen 17 files first with Tier 2 and THEN with Tier 3 in order to use this one.
- The Japanese Ironman Tier 3 has two scripts, both of which occupy the Scen 104 slot, so it's either/or with these unless (again), you give one of them a different Scenario number.

All but the last five are found in dedicated threads (the download files are all zip, not exe, so you'll have to manually unzip them into the /SCEN directory):

1) Scenario 10 (4/6/2013) Ironman Nasty Tier2 (vs. Jap AI)

2) Scenario 17 (5/6/2013) Ironman Nasty Tier2 (vs. Allied AI)

3) Scenario 17 (5/6/2013) Ironman Nasty Nasty Tier3 (vs. Allied AI)

4) Scenario 20 (7/8/2013) Marianas Ironman (vs. Jap AI)

5) Scenario 25 (12/15/2013) Mountbatten's Folly (vs. Jap AI)

6) Scenario 60 (5/31/2014) Ironman Nasty Nasty Tier3 (vs. Jap AI)

7) Scenario 33 (5/17/2015) Revised Scenario1 (v4)

8) Scenario 120 (5/24/2016) May 1942 Start (v4)

9) Scenario 121 (5/29/2016) May 1943 Start (v5)

10) Andy Mac's "I need Help - AI Testing" on 3/5/2016 is a thread focused on revising existing scenarios, although they are given new scenario numbers. Specifically contains revisions for Scens 1, 2, 10 (Tier 1), & 60 (Tier 3).
- Scenario 100 (3/5/2016) Revised Scenario 1 (See Post #1)
- Scenario 101 (3/5/2016) Revised Scenario 2 (See Post #2)
- Scenario 102 (3/5/2016) Revised Scenario 10 Tier1 (See Post #3)
- Scenario 104 (3/21/2016) Revised Scenario 60 Tier3 Script1 (See Post #76 & Post #77-Art)
- Scenario 104 (4/21/2016) Revised Scenario 60 Tier3 Script2 (See Post #143)

11) For compatibility with Babes Lite, please read these comments from US87891. For more information on the popular DaBabes series of mods, please read about them here. JamesHunt noticed the DaBabes mods are probably still using the 2010 AI files (based on the AI file dates), so if you DO choose to play a DaBabes mod against the AI, be sure to use the appropriate 2012 AI updates (see these posts for an example of that process)

12) Andy also created a scenario specifically designed for
DaBigBabes (Version A). This scenario can ONLY be played as Allies (human) against Japanese AI:
- Scenario 40 (11/6/2013) DaBabes Quick and Dirty Ironman Nasty Port

Lastly, here's some additional advice/comment with regard to scenarios:
- AndyMac's look "Inside an AI Script" (for those who want a better understanding of how the AI Scripts function). Edit: The original link supposedly showed a "Script Development Tutorial", but it didn't, and I can't find one, unfortunately.
- AndyMac's "Modding AI Tutorial" (lot's of useful tips if you plan to create or modify an AI script)
- When playing against the AI, you should always use a setting of Hard or Very Hard, as otherwise the AI will have problems providing supply to island bases.
- The michaelm Public Betas affect the exe ONLY, and never include AI updates. So by all means avail yourself of the new Beta updates as they are developed independently of AI Scenario changes. In other words, the latest Beta will work smoothly with any Scenario.
- As reported by Yaab, the variants for Scenario 1 (and by extension, the others which use a large number of variants) can be subdivided into two AI Activity categories: More historical (variants 1-6) and Less historical (variants 7-20). To only play one of the "more historical scenarios, just delete all variants aei007.dat and above.
- In order to "pre-select" a specific scenario variant when starting a new game (as opposed to relying on random chance):
1) Choose the variant you want to play (we'll illustrate with AI File #5 for Scenario #1)
2) Create a folder called "Hold" in the SCEN directory
3) Copy all the Scen1 AI files into the new "War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\SCEN\Hold" folder
4) In the SCEN folder, delete the aei001.dat file
5) In the SCEN folder, rename aei001-05.dat to aei001.dat
6) In the SCEN folder, delete all the aei001-xx.dat alternate files
7) When you start a new campaign, it will use the (renamed) aei001-05.dat scenario variant
8) After launching the new campaign, move all the files in the "Hold" folder back to the "SCEN" folder (and say "yes" to all overwrites)
Attachments
AI Pic3.jpg
AI Pic3.jpg (64.34 KiB) Viewed 3477 times
Reg

Post by Reg »

Thanks for bringing this up and summarising the updates in such a succinct manner for all the newbie's (and oldies too [:D])

Cheers,
Reg.

(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
Uh oh, Firefox has a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!
Sardaukar

Post by Sardaukar »

I think AndyMac scen 1 AI files work also for e.g. DaBabes Lite. At least seem to work for me. Don't think they work for DaBigBabes and especially not for those that alter map. But those are more for PBEM.
"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

Great post Kull...should be stickied.[&o]
ckk

Post by ckk »

+1
Lord_Calidor

Post by Lord_Calidor »

Awesome, thanks mate.
But when the blast of war blows in our ears,
Then imitate the action of the tiger;
Stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood,
Disguise fair nature with hard-favour'd rage.
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

Great work Kull.

Thanks very much for the effort.

Not to detract, but you have overlooked the scenario I am currently playing, #40 Ironman ported to Babes.

AndyMac created this one after I pressed him to come up with a Babes version of his Ironman scenarios.

I'm currently in March of '43 and the AI is holding up nicely.
Hans

Kull

Post by Kull »

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

Great work Kull.

Thanks very much for the effort.

Not to detract, but you have overlooked the scenario I am currently playing, #40 Ironman ported to Babes.

AndyMac created this one after I pressed him to come up with a Babes version of his Ironman scenarios.

I'm currently in March of '43 and the AI is holding up nicely.

It's probably worth having a dedicated post in this thread, just for:
- AI versions constructed specifically for "Babes" (to include which Babes versions they work with)
- AI versions that were constructed for vanilla but which are known to work with Babes (and again, which versions of Babes)

My focus here was "vanilla", but I'll happily compile the Babes stuff into a single post (and add a link from Post #1 of this thread) if you or others want to post links, comments, findings, etc.
US87891

Post by US87891 »

Hello Kull. Fyi.

The differences between the standard and extended maps are de minimis so far as the AI is concerned. What works for standard will work for extended. So …

Any and all AI files for regular GC scenarios work unconditionally, playing either side, with any and all Babes Lite scenarios, no matter the map.

Any and all AI files for regular GC scenarios work unconditionally, playing against the Japanese computer, with any and all DBB scenarios, no matter the map.

Any and all AI files for regular GC scenarios work “kinda ok enough”, playing against the Allied computer, with any and all DBB scenarios, no matter the map.

For Andy’s Ironman AI files, it depends on how much he changed unit slot positions in the corresponding scenario data files. If he didn’t change slot positions much, but just added “more stuff”, those AI files will work just fine with all Babes as described above. If he did change slot positions a lot, as well as adding more stuff, it will show as “kinda ok enough”.

Matt
Yaab

Post by Yaab »

This thread is pure gold. Any clue who has got the glue?
Alpha77

Post by Alpha77 »

..snip

- As reported by Yaab, the variants for Scenario 1 (and by extension, the others which use a large number of variants) can be subdivided into two AI Activity categories: More historical (variants 1-6) and Less historical (variants 7-20)

..snip

Just to make that clear again, if I would select the "historic" variant, the AI would be less suicidal and I also could add these variants to any scen based on eg. stock 1 or 2 ? I just needed to rename the AI files to the scenario number, overwrite the old ones...,right? Yes, I applied it to scen2 already, I make a scen27 "worthwhile" mod, so I can rename from scen2 to scen27 (27 based on 2).

Also both sides have the new AI I hope... I would againa play IJ perhaps so the Allied AI would be more important for me right now.

Seems my PBM stopped if I find no new player, I will play my own scen based on stock2 vs the AI. But makes only sense if AI is improved, which it should be ofc in these variants compared to "stock".

Lord_Calidor

Post by Lord_Calidor »

Concerning Revised scenarios 1 & 2 (scen 100 & 101) - are those selectable ingame as 1 & 2 or as 100 & 101? What's the proper installation procedure, because as I understand it, if just dropped inside the SCEN folder they wouldn't contain all the other files, changes, updates, AI variants etc. from earlier, 6/24/2012 update?
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: Lord_Calidor

Concerning Revised scenarios 1 & 2 (scen 100 & 101) - are those selectable ingame as 1 & 2 or as 100 & 101? What's the proper installation procedure, because as I understand it, if just dropped inside the SCEN folder they wouldn't contain all the other files, changes, updates, AI variants etc. from earlier, 6/24/2012 update?
A scenario is NOT a game save. It is a set of rules and a database of units/devices that the game engine uses to set the stage. After you give your orders and run the turn, you can start creating your game save files. Avoid the first three slots (000,001,002) that are used by the system for Autosave, pre-turn save and post-turn save. The rest of those slots are yours to fill. Save your game periodically while doing your turn as things can interrupt (like the power bump that wiped out two hours of work on my turn last night).

You can only see scenario slots in the WITP-AE editor, which you can access from the Autorun.exe menu. DO NOT move scenario files around using Windows Explorer. They must stay in the scenario folder. The first 25 or so scenarios are locked - you can look at the databases in the Editor, but if you make any changes you cannot save to the same Scenario Slot - you have created a new scenario with your change and must save it to one of the higher numbered slots.

Be aware that popular, user-developed mods like DBB have already assigned slots (e.g. DBB uses 27, 28, and 29). If you save your own scenario in one of those slots and later download and install a mod that uses that slot, I presume the installation of the mod will overwrite your mod. If you notice there will be a conflict like that just load up your scenario in the Editor, save it to a different open slot, then let the mod overwrite the one you just copied.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Alpha77

Post by Alpha77 »

Lord, I believe 100/101 are only for testing the AI, you can find completed scens here: tm.asp?m=3198064

They contain AI etc. already (I hope), but tbh I really do not know anymore what is what at all. I need a break for some days from this [;)]
Lord_Calidor

Post by Lord_Calidor »

BBfanboy, not sure what you're trying to explain mate. Are you telling me the difference between a save game and a scenario? Because I didn't ask that.

Alpha77, so if I am to start a new Scen 2 AI game, I should use older, 6/24/2012 ones, instead of those newer ones in Kull's post no.3?
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

BBfanboy, not sure what you're trying to explain mate. Are you telling me the difference between a save game and a scenario? Because I didn't ask that.

Alpha77, so if I am to start a new Scen 2 AI game, I should use older, 6/24/2012 ones, instead of those newer ones in Kull's post no.3?
My bad - I was not aware there were scenarios numbered above 99, so I read your reference to 101 & 102 as save game numbers.

There should be a Read Me file with each new scenario that describes how to install it. Some of them might have everything packaged in an auto-install program and others might be a "copy and drop" situation.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Alpha77

Post by Alpha77 »

I have NO idea I only can GUESS myself, I am a mere player not a dev etc. I was linked to the threat I gave you as it would be the latest and best scen2 updates. As I was using it in my (now on hold) PBM, and YUP it corrected the radar, super E and AA issues among others. So the ones in Kulls post are even newer than the one (scen2) I was linked too 2 weeks ago [&:] But note Kull himself also links to there...[:D]

Can Andy, Kull or any other "dev" clarify the issue, not only me seems to have, thanks. The Q is a simple one: The latest, best with the updated not suicidal AI for (in my & the Lords case) stock scen2.
Yaab

Post by Yaab »

That would be scenario 101 as per Kull's table. Drop the scenario files into the SCEN folder, delete the AI variants numbered 7 to 20 (the less historical ones). Install the latest beta patch and you are good to go.

Return to “The War Room”