Question about depot priorities

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

Sardaukar

Question about depot priorities

Post by Sardaukar »

I am bit confused about what priorities I should have for depots.

I have played Op Husky and Westwall, thinking of trying something more ambitious next...(famous last words).

So, I'd ask advice what supply priority (0-4) should certain depots have. E.g. if I have depot in French port as Allies, what sort of priority it should have to ensure supply and fuel to flow inland? And what sort of priority should the depots closest to combat units have? And should I build depots next to big airfields? And with what priority?

Thanks in advance!
"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

loki100

RE: Question about depot priorities

Post by loki100 »

basically, your main ports in Europe should be 1 level higher than the main ports in the UK - so if they are #1, make your main ports #2 (here I am assuming that the front line is at some distance). Then set up a chain of #1-#2---#3 to some #4s. Only put these where you really need supply to go.

You can build a chain of 1-2 to a low priority sector (like say the Vosges).

Ports nearer the actual front should be at #3.

Yes keep some #1 depots near to main airbases, you shouldn't need much higher than this.

Remember that supply priority of your airbases and HQs is almost as important as the depot priorities.
Sardaukar

Post by Sardaukar »

Thanks, it makes sense.

In my gameplay, I totally forgot air base and HQ priorities. No wonder I had fuel problems during last turns of Westwall...[:'(]

And I was not sure if I should have high priority for ports or not...that cleared it quite well. [8D]
"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

barkhorn45

Post by barkhorn45 »

does a 1 depot in a port push supply to a 2 port and then it is pushed to the higher level depots?
LiquidSky

Post by LiquidSky »

You can set all of England to level 4. There is plenty of Railyards and rail capacity to go around. And if one depot isn't getting supplies...another one will. Your real bottleneck will be in cargo ships (if they get sunk), and the receiving ports....which should also all be at 4. Some areas...like the Med...there will be ports you can down grade. Like the Sicilian ports after you have moved on to Italy Mainland.

I commonly build extra depots in all the cities with decent sized railyards...and they all fill up. The only areas where depots may not fill up is in the areas of large concentrations of air squadrons. Especially 4 engine bombers. But supply will be trucked in from somewhere.
“My logisticians are a humorless lot … they know if my campaign fails, they are the first ones I will slay.” – Alexander the Great

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”