Using Carrier Aircraft

Post bug reports and ask for help with other issues here.
SpitfireIXA

Using Carrier Aircraft

Post by SpitfireIXA »

I often cannot find a way to use my carrier aircraft against naval targets, or to search. I set the mode to Naval/Tactical, then tried to attack nearby Axis ships. Even if I moved right next to them, and even when I did not need to move, I still could gain no attack icon. I tried all modes to no effect.

What am I missing? Also, how do I tell the carrier that I want to conduct a search and not move?
Seminole

RE: Using Carrier Aircraft

Post by Seminole »

Storms in the CV hex or target hex will prevent flight, and the storms condition can be kind of hard to see. Are you sure the weather is clear?
To scout without moving try holding down shift before clicking. Also of course requires clear weather.
"War is never a technical problem only, and if in pursuing technical solutions you neglect the psychological and the political, then the best technical solutions will be worthless." - Hermann Balck
Toby42

Post by Toby42 »

Aircraft Carriers are pretty much useless. When they attack subs they generally take more damage than they cause. Attacking land targets or surface naval units get about the same results. Filling in the air gap in the North Atlantic helped defeat the U boats, but not these carriers! I don't even bother attacking with them. It's not worth the points it cost to repair them!
Tony
gchristie

Post by gchristie »

How were German subs able to damage carrier based aircraft in WW2?
elmo3

Post by elmo3 »

And how are carrier aircraft able to damage subs underwater running silent?
We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester
Hubert Cater

Post by Hubert Cater »

ORIGINAL: Treale

Aircraft Carriers are pretty much useless. When they attack subs they generally take more damage than they cause. Attacking land targets or surface naval units get about the same results. Filling in the air gap in the North Atlantic helped defeat the U boats, but not these carriers! I don't even bother attacking with them. It's not worth the points it cost to repair them!
ORIGINAL: gchristie
How were German subs able to damage carrier based aircraft in WW2?

Just to confirm, have you switched to Naval Tactical mode when using Carriers to attack subs? Generally under this mode the odds will favor an attacking Carrier with an odd predictor of 0 losses for the attacking Carrier aircraft. However due to the +/- 1 chance of additional losses there is the chance that attacking aircraft from a Carrier might take a single strength point loss from time to time. While this +/- 1 applies to all units whenever they are engaged in combat, in this case it could be chalked up to the possibility of general operational damage whenever aircraft sortie from the Carrier etc.

From memory U-boats did have limited AA capability, but I imagine this was more of a last resort option. Some U-boats were also equipped and experimented with flak guns and while they had some initial success, from what I remember reading the experiment didn't last long as overall it still wasn't their best option against attacking aircraft.

http://uboat.net/types/u-flak.htm
Hubert Cater

Post by Hubert Cater »

ORIGINAL: elmo3

And how are carrier aircraft able to damage subs underwater running silent?

In this case I guess the argument could be made that once spotted there were attack options for aircraft even if the sub is underwater such as aerial depth charges.

However one thing we are considering is reducing the damage of any attack against a sub if spotted but still running silent, either from air or naval attack, as they definitely would be harder to attack and harder to inflict effective damage against in that setup.
elmo3

Post by elmo3 »

OK, thanks.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester

Return to “Tech Support”