What program/film/documentary are you watching now?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

warspite1

RE: What program/film/documentary are you watching now?

Post by warspite1 »

TullisDetritus: I encourage everyone to watch both.

I agree
RFalvo69: I now must check this earlier version.
Chickenboy: Don't know a thing about the earlier version you comment on here
Please see durangokid's - Post 39 - in the Kolberg The Movie thread

You will find the full film with subtitles. It's worth 90 minutes of your time for another perspective. I would be interested to know what you think too.

Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
HunterICX

Post by HunterICX »

Currently watching the BBC's War Walks hosted by Richard Holmes.
Zorch

Post by Zorch »

ORIGINAL: warspite1
TullisDetritus: I encourage everyone to watch both.

I agree
RFalvo69: I now must check this earlier version.
Chickenboy: Don't know a thing about the earlier version you comment on here
Please see durangokid's - Post 39 - in the Kolberg The Movie thread

You will find the full film with subtitles. It's worth 90 minutes of your time for another perspective. I would be interested to know what you think too.

I liked both films. It's been so long that i don't remember enough to compare them.

There may be as bias here in that people tend to underrate the one they see second...ask a social scientist.
TulliusDetritus

Post by TulliusDetritus »

ORIGINAL: Zorch
There may be as bias here in that people tend to underrate the one they see second...ask a social scientist.

I don't know if you're a horror movies fan (I am). Let's take the Japanese horror movie Ringu. Good stuff. I liked it.

Then I watched the American version, expecting nothing to be honest; well, I thought I'd be disappointed. Surprise, I prefered the second version. When I thought about it the reason was clear: scarier, more dense.

In a Wansee movie I want to see nazis meeting in cold january. In the second movie I see guys arguing in what could have perfectly been the British Foreign Office. Something is obviously wrong. Mise en scène, acting or whatever. I don't care.
"Hitler is a horrible sexual degenerate, a dangerous fool" - Mussolini, circa 1934
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: TulliusDetritus
ORIGINAL: Zorch

I don't know if you're a horror movies fan (I am). Let's take the Japanese horror movie Ringu. Good stuff. I liked it.

Then I watched the American version, expecting nothing to be honest; well, I thought I'd be disappointed. Surprise, I prefered the second version. When I thought about it the reason was clear: scarier, more dense.

In a Wansee movie I want to see nazis meeting in cold january. In the second movie I see guys arguing in what could have perfectly been the British Foreign Office. Something is obviously wrong. Mise en scène, acting or whatever. I don't care.
warspite1

Well two things:
Zorch: There may be as bias here in that people tend to underrate the one they see second...ask a social scientist.

a) I have no idea what a social scientist has to say about bias and second viewings, but I have laid out a personal opinion comparison of the two and clear reasons - whether right or wrong - why I believe one is the better version to watch. So I don't think I am exhibiting unthinking bias (or whatever it is they are getting at) - after all I have no axe to grind or reason to prefer one over the other - I just think as a piece of television one is better, as for acting talent, one is better (although the actors had more to play with) and as for historical accuracy, as said, I don't know but both versions got to where they needed - the HBO/BBC version just did it in a more interesting way.
TulliusDetritus: I want to see nazis meeting in cold january......
I see guys arguing in what could have perfectly been the British Foreign Office.

b) You prefer the earlier version and that is fine, but as with the 'word for word i.e. plagiarism' comment, I do not understand the above - its almost as if you haven't watched Conspiracy.

What could the HBO/BBC production do more to show the meeting took place in 'cold January'? You have the attendees arriving in the snow, soldiers playing snowballs outside (and one earning a slap from Eichmann for the privilege) you have Heydrich landing his aircraft on snow covered ground. There is at least one roaring fire going on. And there are the obvious conversations about the failed attack on Moscow ("the Generals in the East are a disgrace") in the preliminaries. Yeah, I don't know about you but I kind of got the hint that it was January and yes - it was sehr seht kalt.

Not sure what the British Foreign Office looks like to you but many of the scenes in Conspiracy were filmed at the actual Wannsee location near Berlin. For all I know The Wannsee Conference was as well. The location was what it was - essentially a large conference table in an ordinary looking room (it was previously a residential house) - and I don't think either did a bad job from what my daughter tells me (she went there last year).

At the meeting in both versions many of the actors wore their SS or Brown Shirt uniforms - the civilians wore suits (the only difference was whether Stuckart wore his SS uniform (he had honorary rank) as in The Wannsee Conference or a suit as in Conspiracy). Needless to say there were enough SS and Party uniforms on show to make it clear - even without the actual dialogue - that this was not the British Foreign Office. Sorry but I don't get that comment.

HunterICX

Post by HunterICX »

More Richard Holmes, started to watch his BBC Battlefields series.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Lots of good series to get your teeth into at the moment:

- Billions (2nd series) - not seen any, just recording to watch in a marathon session
- SS-GB - 3/5 and its starting to really get into gear
- Prime Suspect 1973 - The early days on the force for Jane Tennison
- Fortitude (2nd series) - Mmmm getting weirder by the minute, but top quality

Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

Enjoying The Expanse on SyFy. Having been through two of the books in the series, I'm appreciating the fidelity of the television series.

Orm-see my note on the "What are you Reading" thread re: the books and the timing vis a vis the series.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Notwithstanding the comment above, I could not wait to the end to watch Billions. Watched the first three of series 2 - what a seriously, stonkingly, stupendous, show [&o][&o]

Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

Notwithstanding the comment above, I could not wait to the end to watch Billions. Watched the first three of series 2 - what a seriously, stonkingly, stupendous, show [&o][&o]
Vas ist das? I've not heard anything about it nor seen anything about it. What's the genre and summary (minus spoilers)?
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Billions is a classy Sky Atlantic production. A superb cast inc: Damien Lewis, Paul Giamatti and Maggie Siff.

Andrew Ross Sorkin (he of the book Too Big to Fail fame) is one of the creators. It centres around Bobby Axelrod (Lewis) a fund manager and all round bad guy and his fight with Chuck Rhodes (Giamatti) the US Attorney for the Southern District of New York.

It ooooozes quality from every pore - 1,437 out of 10 [&o]

wings7

Post by wings7 »

Billions is a classy Sky Atlantic production. A superb cast inc: Damien Lewis, Paul Giamatti and Maggie Siff.

Andrew Ross Sorkin (he of the book Too Big to Fail fame) is one of the creators. It centres around Bobby Axelrod (Lewis) a fund manager and all round bad guy and his fight with Chuck Rhodes (Giamatti) the US Attorney for the Southern District of New York.

Robert, it is on 'Showtime' (pay channel) in the States here, is it extra pay for you?
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: wings7

Robert, it is on 'Showtime' (pay channel) in the States here, is it extra pay for you?
warspite1

I get it on Sky Atlantic as part of my 'Sky' package so yes - I have to pay to get this on a monthly basis.

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Anyone watching Big Little Lies? If so, what is the consensus?

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Clearly not.

Ho hum.

Anyways, SS-GB ended last night and what a thoroughly absorbing way to spend 5 hours that was [:)]

And the potentially good news is that the ending leaves a second series as being more than possible [:)]

Attachments
nintchdbpi..98322951.jpg
nintchdbpi..98322951.jpg (91.52 KiB) Viewed 54 times

wings7

Post by wings7 »

Clearly not.

Ho hum.

Anyways, SS-GB ended last night and what a thoroughly absorbing way to spend 5 hours that was [:)]

And the potentially good news is that the ending leaves a second series as being more than possible [:)]

No word yet when we will be able to see here in the States (BBC America, maybe?), I do want to see it!
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: wings7

Clearly not.

Ho hum.

No word yet when we will be able to see here in the States (BBC America, maybe?), I do want to see it!
warspite1

I hope you don't have long to wait. It will be worth it [:)].

Orm

Post by Orm »

I watched Moneyball this weekend. A nice enough sports film. And that I don't know more about baseball than the basics, did not detract from my enjoyment of watching it. I think all football fans could enjoy it. Partly because that there are not enough good football flicks.

And Warspite1, Moneyball is not Genuine Frontier Gibberish. [;)] [:D]
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
Zorch

Post by Zorch »

ORIGINAL: Orm

I watched Moneyball this weekend. A nice enough sports film. And that I don't know more about baseball than the basics, did not detract from my enjoyment of watching it. I think all football fans could enjoy it. Partly because that there are not enough good football flicks.

And Warspite1, Moneyball is not Genuine Frontier Gibberish. [;)] [:D]
+1
Although the film over-simplified things. Go to http://www.fangraphs.com/ for some real analytics.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

I've watched a few programs on Sky Arts 'Discovering .......'. This is a series on famous stars of stage and screen. I've not seen them all, but watched Discovering James Stewart today as I've always liked the guy.

In the program he was compared with and seen as being the Tom Hanks of his day. Interesting comparison I thought.

Return to “General Discussion”