Portland ARD SNAFU

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Ian R

Portland ARD SNAFU

Post by Ian R »

I've just reached late 1943 in my alpha test of my "Long, long road to Tokyo" mod.

To be precise, this uses A-Mac's tier 2 iron man nasty as a base, which I understand uses the basic allied grand campaign OOB. I have not modded the ARDs. Also, I am using the latest official, not beta, patch.

ARD ADFB-2 appears in Portland.

Any attempt to send it forward to somewhere useful is met with a computer-says-no reaction.

It is, apparently, not able to traverse the river down to Astoria.

Is there an in game solution to this?

Edit: And Alfred, before you jump down my throat and tell me there is already a thread on this, I used the google search code with ARD & ADFB and got no useful result.
"I am Alfred"
wdolson

RE: Portland ARD SNAFU

Post by wdolson »

That was a problem with the stock scenarios at the initial release, but one of the patches moved the ARD to Seattle and subsequent releases have the ARD in Seattle. Was this mod branched from an early release of the game?

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
Ian R

Post by Ian R »

Not exactly... but that is the answer, thank you Bill.

I started with Andy Mac's nasty iron man (the version of scenario 10 dated April 2013 and named '... Ironman - Part 2' ). ARD #2 arrives in Portland in that scenario.

In any event, I worked out a sneaky way to get it down river - I edited the ship-class tonnage to 5,000t in the scenario database file, and updated the save file.
"I am Alfred"
LargeSlowTarget

Post by LargeSlowTarget »

IIRC there are "white shallow draft" hexsides between Portland and the sea which basically limits naval movement along the river to ships below 15k displacement.

The floating docks were fabricated in smaller "sections" which were towed individually to the advance base and then welded together to create the huge dock. Although each section would be below the 15k limit in the game and thus could float down from Portland, the game treats the dock as complete assemblies of 7 to 10 sections and thus it is being blocked by the hexsides.

Your solution is elegant but you might as well edit the pxhexe.dat file and change the hexsides to allow the passage of ships displacing more than 15k.
Ian R

Post by Ian R »

ORIGINAL: LargeSlowTarget

Your solution is elegant but you might as well edit the pxhexe.dat file and change the hexsides to allow the passage of ships displacing more than 15k.

The downside of that is that a non-stock map would be required to use the scenario; easier to move the arrival to Seattle.

"I am Alfred"
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

Both wdolson and witpqs are strong advocates for using Google to search the forum.  They have provided details on several occasions as to how to conduct the search.

I on the other hand have always advocated using the Matrix search function instead.  My reasons for preferring Matrix over Google and how to frame the search parameters have also been posted on more than one occasion.

A matrix search using the term "ARD" brings up this relevant thread.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2967817&mpage=1&key=ARD&#2967847

This thread both deals with the Portland ARD problem and provides the hyperlinks to the solution.  There is no need to access the editor.

Alfred
Ian R

Post by Ian R »

Tried that Alfred, didn't get that thread in the search (which threw up 300 other returns, though).

I just tried it again, and again it didn't return that link - although, this time, about halfway down page 5 it produced this link:

tm.asp?m=3261882&mpage=1&key=ARD&#3261896

Question: Do you set the search to list results by ranking or date?
"I am Alfred"
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

This and the next post have the relevant screenshots for conducting a Matrix search.

The first screenshot is the parameters. The key things to note are:

1. The search term. Often various different search terms need to be used. The author field is not used in conjunction with the search term. If I know the author of a relevant post, I will leave blank the search term and use instead the "Author". This is usually a dev name.

2. Absolutely critical is that the search is conducted in
  • the main AE forum
  • the Tech subforum
  • the War Room subforum

Depending on the nature of the search, the Modders subforum may be substituted for one or more of the above.

If you only search the main AE forum you will not pick up relevant threads in the other fora. This means that each search term is run through at least 2 (usually 3) fora.

Alfred
Attachments
Matrixsea..arameter.jpg
Matrixsea..arameter.jpg (353.14 KiB) Viewed 112 times
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

This screenshot shows the result.

Key points to note are:

1. This is page 4 (IIRC) of the return. Note how the search was conducted in the Tech subforum. I recalled michaelm addressing the issue.

2. Often I have to peek into each returned post irrespective of the author. However my first action is always to go down the list of author names and select for viewing on that basis. When I select a post to read I then read the entire thread because it is very common for relevant information to be found in other thread posts which do not include the specific search term.

3. The thread name is used as a further filter only in the sense that sometimes the search term (which does not tae into account context) may bring up land, sea or air threads when only one of those is the correct context.

Alfred
Attachments
Matrixsearchresult.jpg
Matrixsearchresult.jpg (264.05 KiB) Viewed 112 times
Lowpe

Post by Lowpe »

I can't begin to tell you how many times I have searched by author using "Alfred"![&o] There are other names I search for, but none as frequently as Alfred's.

Many of his posts are cut and pasted to a general onenote account for easy re-reading. I find I re-read his posts many, many times picking up nuggets of wisdom each time.

It seems the longer I play this game, the more I forget![:D]

morganbj

Post by morganbj »

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

I can't begin to tell you how many times I have searched by author using "Alfred"![&o] There are other names I search for, but none as frequently as Alfred's.

Many of his posts are cut and pasted to a general onenote account for easy re-reading. I find I re-read his posts many, many times picking up nuggets of wisdom each time.

It seems the longer I play this game, the more I forget![:D]

Then you clearly haven't played it enough, if you can remember something.
Occasionally, and randomly, problems and solutions collide. The probability of these collisions is inversely related to the number of committees working on the solutions. -- Me.
Ian R

Post by Ian R »

Thank you Alfred, that is very helpful.

I just tried it again using control-click to select the main, tech, and war room topics simultaneously. Two of the three threads mentioned here were in the returns.
"I am Alfred"

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”