Amphib invasion prep question

Gary Grigsby’s War in the West 1943-45 is the most ambitious and detailed computer wargame on the Western Front of World War II ever made. Starting with the Summer 1943 invasions of Sicily and Italy and proceeding through the invasions of France and the drive into Germany, War in the West brings you all the Allied campaigns in Western Europe and the capability to re-fight the Western Front according to your plan.

Moderators: Joel Billings, RedLancer

MrDave

Amphib invasion prep question

Post by MrDave »

The answer, if there is one, is probably an "it depends" answer, but here it is...
1. I have been playing Battleground Italy on normal setting.
2. Thanks to this forum, many of my questions have been answered,i.e managing my Hq units, etc. TY, TY, TY.

In your experience, A. is it wiser to put one division per Amphib Hq, the stage follow on forces after the beachhead is secure?

OR
B. To load the max of two divisions and wait longer to prep them?

Thanks again.
In Him,
MrDave
TOAW OOBP PC ATG CoH
Q-Ball

RE: Amphib invasion prep question

Post by Q-Ball »

It depends entirely on where you are landing, and what you expect opposition to be.

Against light opposition, 1 division is fine. If you are landing on Sardinia, Corsica, Italy below Naples, etc, those areas I wouldn't expect a ton of German nearby

If you are landing near Rome, or in France, you better bring 2

That's my take....
LiquidSky

RE: Amphib invasion prep question

Post by LiquidSky »

My favourite way to invade in Italy is with those really small French units. It only takes a couple turns to get enough invasion points. I use the paratroopers to land in front of them to 'guard' the beaches. The next turn I remove them and drop full corps on the beachheads

This wont work if the Germans have serious resistance in the area...but with the speed of the invasions (you can invade every 2-3 turns) you can quickly advance up the peninsula and make him retreat back to Northern Italy.

If you are or have to invade an area that is well defended (in front of Rome, France...that sort of thing) then you want to hit the beach with 2 divisions....full paradrops in front. All units stuffed with support units..probably engineers so they can dig in fast. And with as many amphs as you can use.

“My logisticians are a humorless lot … they know if my campaign fails, they are the first ones I will slay.” – Alexander the Great

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the West”