TopEverest vs Admiral Kamikaze - the rematch

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

topeverest

Vehicles

Post by topeverest »

Here is that calc

Attachments
hhhh.jpg
hhhh.jpg (139.85 KiB) Viewed 83 times
Andy M
M60A3TTS

RE: Vehicles

Post by M60A3TTS »

Each turn there is a die roll for damaged factories to determine if they will produce anything. Your factory at Lysovo probably failed that roll. That would give you 110*5.5= 605.

In my earlier post I mentioned I got an extra 4 trucks for reasons unknown. Here you got an extra 3. Bottom line, don't rely on a calculation here to figure out exactly what you get each week IF you have damaged factories, because of the die roll variable, just go with what the event log says. Once your factories are all undamaged and not moving about, the numbers remain fairly consistent. On occasion you may also produce fewer items if there are less supplies available than the factories require. You have 219 heavy industry factories, so that shouldn't happen if you manage things even half way right.
topeverest

RE: Vehicles

Post by topeverest »

HAHAHAHA

Me manage things right! I can't promise that. In fact, I think I have proven that I am at best marginally fit to be in high command.

I promise to take it seriously, do my best, and play to the end. Along the way, perhaps I will earn the right to say I learned how to manage things right.

My esteemed opponent and I have already agreed to switch sides after this contest.

ORIGINAL: M60A3TTS

Each turn there is a die roll for damaged factories to determine if they will produce anything. Your factory at Lysovo probably failed that roll. That would give you 110*5.5= 605.

In my earlier post I mentioned I got an extra 4 trucks for reasons unknown. Here you got an extra 3. Bottom line, don't rely on a calculation here to figure out exactly what you get each week IF you have damaged factories, because of the die roll variable, just go with what the event log says. Once your factories are all undamaged and not moving about, the numbers remain fairly consistent. On occasion you may also produce fewer items if there are less supplies available than the factories require. You have 219 heavy industry factories, so that shouldn't happen if you manage things even half way right.
Andy M
GeneralfeldmarschallWalterModel

RE: Turn 35 Summary

Post by GeneralfeldmarschallWalterModel »

I believe if your now managing trucks you might be in trouble?

You should manage them from the beginning.

In my game I have 194,000 in pool and need 115k trucks on turn 36, the southern front is way past railheads.

You look to be doing good so far, very close game over all - good luck.
topeverest

RE: Turn 35 Summary

Post by topeverest »

Agree -

Its not learning unless it is painful.
ORIGINAL: GeneralfeldmarschallWalterModel

I believe if your now managing trucks you might be in trouble?

You should manage them from the beginning.

In my game I have 194,000 in pool and need 115k trucks on turn 36, the southern front is way past railheads.

You look to be doing good so far, very close game over all - good luck.
Andy M
topeverest

Turn 37 - end of the russian winter

Post by topeverest »

Last turn in February 1942 - the end of the Russian Winter offensive.

Some surprising victories. I took the opportunity to attack along the entire MLR and won a number of them, including a number around Moscow.

And I am actively managing trucks at this point... below are the losses for the winter - I propose that it was a successful campaign from that perspective.

Attachments
666.jpg
666.jpg (89.16 KiB) Viewed 83 times
Andy M
topeverest

Moscow view

Post by topeverest »

Here is what Moscow looks like - took Kaluga this turn...

Attachments
444.jpg
444.jpg (1.09 MiB) Viewed 83 times
Andy M
topeverest

trucks

Post by topeverest »

cant really measure if I am poorly off, but here is a good summary of the truck situation.

I disbanded an artillery army this turn, and created three reserve armies with short supply lines.
Also working to shorten supply lines for all armies...

Attachments
333.jpg
333.jpg (94.52 KiB) Viewed 83 times
Andy M
topeverest

Suppply Grid

Post by topeverest »

I outran my supply grid in the lower Ukraine. Victim of my own success to a large degree

Pulled back two armies to reduce the impact of trucks - but wont retreat for sure...

Attachments
9999.jpg
9999.jpg (750.43 KiB) Viewed 83 times
Andy M
topeverest

Turn 38, March 5 1942

Post by topeverest »

Russian guns fall silent, the winter counteroffensive has ended, below is the deployment.

I am keeping 10 armies in refit / reserve until the enemy commits to a major offensive

trucks getting further under control

Attachments
00000.jpg
00000.jpg (2.11 MiB) Viewed 83 times
Andy M
topeverest

trucks

Post by topeverest »

feeling marginally better with all the changes I have done - perhaps I will be in a good place for a late year offensive...

Attachments
986.jpg
986.jpg (247.79 KiB) Viewed 83 times
Andy M
topeverest

Turn 41 End of March 1942

Post by topeverest »

The last 3 snow turns haven't had enough combat to shake a stick at.

Following activities occurred:
1. Germany has pulled back some of its forces into local reserves and begun refitting operations
2. Russian reorganization for defensive operations has finished - 11 total armies are in reserve, and defense in depth has been reestablished along the MLR
3. trucks continues to improve - 200 (87) this past turn improved from 188 (117) pm turn 33
4. all Russian armor is pulled off the line and ready to convert to corps. 484 AP's are available
5. Russia has finished building armies 59 are present. Cant imagine needing any more except to build some of the new types as they come available
Andy M
topeverest

Map

Post by topeverest »

Here is the MLR

Attachments
666666.jpg
666666.jpg (1.65 MiB) Viewed 83 times
Andy M
topeverest

RE: Support Unit Check

Post by topeverest »

SO - as a rookie, I have not built any support units. In rereading the rules, I totally misunderstood building support units.
When I was transferring units, I thought I was building them

Oh well. At least I understand now.

Currently I have no AP's. I need 2 more turns to finish building out all my armored corps - or I can build out support units.
I am open to thoughts which is more impactful. below is more or less what I have. I clearly need more armor and sappers.

Now clearly is the time to fix stuff.
ORIGINAL: GabrielBora
ORIGINAL: topeverest

Question regarding support units.

What is a suggested mix of support units. I need to set them to manual next turn and disband some units of marginal use. here is what I have.

12 mortars (9 heavy)
28 AA units attached to armies (not cities)
103 artillery units
25 motorcycle
45 engineer (22 regiment and 23 battalion)

What would be a good approach. Thinking of getting rid of AAs first for sappers

Thoughts?

this is what the soviets had in jan 42, so you could make up your mind .

56 tank batalions
57 atg regiments
119 arty regiments
88 aaa bat + 2 aaa regiments.
18 mortar batalions
6 rocket regiments + (73 batalions (equivalent to 24 regiments))
31 separate ponton bridge batalions
150 engineer batalions (equivalent to 50 sapper regiments)
32 engineer brigades (construction units)

http://teatrskazka.com/Raznoe/BoevojSos ... -1942.html

Andy M
ericv

Post by ericv »

I am no top expert, but ideally you would have built the sapper regiments way in advance to get them training for XP. 3 sappers Regiments and later on 2 Sapper Regiments + 1 Heavy SU /Heavy Tank Regiment per Corps to fight the Panthers and Tigers. Keep in mind : Sappers give a lot of CV for a lot less truck use. Motorcycle regs./ SU reg/ Heavy Tank Regs really eat away at the trucks.

Having said all that. Take a look at briang's game. He is a really good player, and he plays with 3 heavy tank regs per Pz Corps.. So there are more good solutions.

The Tank Corps will begin converting to a much better TOE in 6-42. They used to anyway. Always an idea to spare them until that time.
Dont bother with the batallions. 1 AA batallion for each Air command. Just let the sapper batallions sit in Ural MD or disband them if you can spare the AP.

Anyway for now I would build Sapper Regs and Form Tank Corps Simultaneously so that you will have a couple of filed out Tank Corps and go from there.
Stelteck

Post by Stelteck »

I personnally have mixed feeling about support units. They have a huge cost in political points and are not so efficient. They do not do so much damage (even heavy artillery & tanks) nor provide so much CV value.
(But do not disband them, if you have them, use them. Disbanding have a cost).

In my game as soviet, i put 3 support units to each corps and large support units to each HQ, but i wonder if it would have been a good idea to create more in game units (such as cavalry corps) instead.

Brakes are for cowards !!
Nix77

Post by Nix77 »

ORIGINAL: Stelteck

I personnally have mixed feeling about support units. They have a huge cost in political points and are not so efficient. They do not do so much damage (even heavy artillery & tanks) nor provide so much CV value.
(But do not disband them, if you have them, use them. Disbanding have a cost).

In my game as soviet, i put 3 support units to each corps and large support units to each HQ, but i wonder if it would have been a good idea to create more in game units (such as cavalry corps) instead.

Most of the SUs purpose is to bring some extra effect to the combat, not just plain CV. Artillery disrupts units, damages elements (I think?) and even destroys fortifications. Sappers help with forts, AT guns and SU armor bring out a punch against panzers. With experience, even their CV values start to be noticeable. I wouldn't skip building more of them, as early as possible.

Try to have a full compliment of artillery in each active army (that probably means around 200 regiments in '42), and raise an effective force of sappers to be used with your assaulting forces (could mean anything from 50 to 100 regiments, depending on your setup). I wouldn't be surprised if having a PVO AA Regiment in all of the front armies will bleed the Lufwaffe slowly too.

Optimally you should have 9 SUs in each army, since that's the maximum you can commit to a normal field battle. Of those, at least 3 should be artillery, for the extra commitment chance. I think my basic setup is 3 artillery, 1 heavy artillery, 2 sapper regiments, 1 PVO AA and on top of that whatever 2 regiments I have at hand or maybe a tank battalion or some more artillery. Additionally I usually have 2 construction battalions and one RR brigade for helping with early fortification building and rail building later on.

I'm not sure how effective the tank battalions are as they cost trucks and precious armour, but since they upgrade to regiments in '43, I'd say they worth using for the long term.

There are a few other battalions that upgrade to regiments (also some regiments that downgrade to battalions!). Even the tiny TD Battery in '41 can act as a training unit for the future SU-76/122 regiments.

Studying the ToE upgrade paths really helps you decide what you need and what's not so useful for you. In general, the battalions that don't upgrade to regiments you shouldn't ever build. Construction battalions have a limited use since they can spread their construction value around more efficiently and don't have such a high support need as RR brigades.
Stelteck

Post by Stelteck »

I did some test during my game with a true in game Anti Tank Brigade.

The results where like this :
Rifle division against Panzer division : Number of panzer killed/Damage : 2
Rifle division + anti tank brigade against panzer division : Number of panzer killed/Damage : 10

So there is an effect, but quite small. And an anti tank brigade is worth far more than a simple anti tank regiment.

For common artillery, in 1943 we have breakthough and artillery division, with for at least ten times the effect of a good support artillery regiment. And if you use only one division, the effect is not so big in combat.
To really see a decisive effect in battle, i have to use from 3 to 9 arty division. The effect at 9 is amazing, but you really have to put a lot of artillery, and support regiments have only 24 to 32 guns, while you need thousands of guns for a real effect.

The game have a amazing "battle" phase were all equipments shoot at each other, but in the end this phase looks under-used, compared to basic CV and leader check. I would really love having a more important "battle phase".
Brakes are for cowards !!
topeverest

Turn 49 May 21 ---- Suport Units

Post by topeverest »

Thanks everyone for helping...

I finally am starting to understand support units. Since trucks are on my mind, given my deficit, I built this chart to help me decide what to do.

I disbanded my armor battalions and motorcycle regiments de to there truck costs. Since I have 37 armored corps, I need to conserve trucks.

I am in process of building 3 sapper btn, 1 AT regiment per army. Thereafter, I will come up for air. Should be complete next turn.
I assume artillery / mortars are next

Attachments
456.jpg
456.jpg (76.85 KiB) Viewed 83 times
Andy M
ericv

RE: Turn 49 May 21 ---- Suport Units

Post by ericv »

I do think it is better to get Sapper Regiments instead of batallions. First, they pack a lot more punch than batallions for relatively negligible truck cost, Second, Sapper Regiments promote to Guard status. Batallions won't, so there is this morale boost you need to consider.

That goes for all Soviet Support units.. Practically all batallions will never promote to guard status, almost all regiments do.

Good Luck with your game!

Return to “After Action Reports”