Future of SC

Fury Games has now signed with Matrix Games, and we are working together on the next Strategic Command. Will use the Slitherine PBEM++ server for asynchronous multi-player.

Moderators: MOD_Strategic_Command_3, Fury Software

freeboy

RE: Future of SC

Post by freeboy »

sorry.. Total war Rome and Attila Total war are trademark games that have sales in the Millions of units sold
"Tanks forward"
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

Well, I'm watching the AI do some island-hopping on me right now during my Hearts of Iron III playthrough as U.S.

Maybe a simplified strategic version of the legendary War in the Pacific AE would be just the thing for SC.

Ah, millions of units sold. We can dream!
Fintilgin

Post by Fintilgin »

Honestly, I'd like to see the base game expanded with a big expansion pack/dlc first. Maybe add some of the things originally discussed as being in the game like oil/manpower.

I don't really want to see another Pacific game when the naval model is as... crude as it is in SC2/3. I would love, love a Pacific game at the scale and complexity of SC, but I feel like if they were going to the Pacific they should start from scratch and not model ships as really fast tanks that can walk on water. [:'(]

For a more standalone expansion/DLC I'd like to see the War in Russia tackled again as an expansion of the Assault on Communism scenario. Maybe add some new mechanics like oil to make going for Baku more relevant/meaningful.

EDIT: I'd also be onboard with a nice, big Korean war map/scenario.
TheGreatRadish

Post by TheGreatRadish »

I'm hoping for global, but would be happy to see WW1 too because it was so well done with the previous engine. Like Fintilgin says, Pacific standalone would need a naval mechanics review, but would be a nice addition.
James Taylor

Post by James Taylor »

Since I'm not the recipient of playing a lot of other naval games, I'm wondering what features could be garnished from other naval oriented games that would serve to enhance the SC experience?

Not wanting to see a perfect copy of the mechanics, but surely some of the patrons here that have more naval game playing experience could point to specific characteristics that would make SC's naval module more realistic.

I, for one, always professed the need for an underlying logistical/communication net which seems to be somewhat fulfilled by the convoy/raiding system.

Obviously it would be better if the players would be allowed to adjust and set up their own convoy system but I may be thinking that would entail additional complications to an already semi-complicated SC as it evolves further.

So.... what are the features that would make SC's naval game better without too much additional player interaction?
SeaMonkey
xwormwood

Post by xwormwood »

I would go for a Total War approach, with the difference that instead of real time battles, there should be turn based battles.
The map wouldn't be the battlefield, the battlefield would be separate, for each and every battle.
This would make everything easy - starting from island hopping up to stacking (the political map would know "stacked" task forces, which would deploy on a Panzer General kind of map once the battle starts.
Such a large map would it make possible to loose contact with an enemy fleet, or to never even find the enemy.
"You will be dead, so long as you refuse to die" (George MacDonald)
bo

Post by bo »

ORIGINAL: Xwormwood

I would go for a Total War approach, with the difference that instead of real time battles, there should be turn based battles.
The map wouldn't be the battlefield, the battlefield would be separate, for each and every battle.
This would make everything easy - starting from island hopping up to stacking (the political map would know "stacked" task forces, which would deploy on a Panzer General kind of map once the battle starts.
Such a large map would it make possible to loose contact with an enemy fleet, or to never even find the enemy.

Xwormwood I like this idea, very good, I made a post like this but mostly about the Pacific theater, but you said it way better than I did, [:(] the key to the Pacific game would have to be a revamped naval warfare mod.

Bo
n0kn0k

Post by n0kn0k »

ORIGINAL: Xwormwood

I've been pitching this idea for the last 10 years in a Roman era SC2 game.
I even started the mod about 10 years ago as a proof of concept, but I never managed to finish it. [:(]
xwormwood

Post by xwormwood »

ORIGINAL: n0kn0k

I've been pitching this idea for the last 10 years in a Roman era SC2 game.
I even started the mod about 10 years ago as a proof of concept, but I never managed to finish it. [:(]

ORIGINAL: bo

Xwormwood I like this idea, very good, I made a post like this but mostly about the Pacific theater, but you said it way better than I did, [:(] the key to the Pacific game would have to be a revamped naval warfare mod.

Bo

Gentlemen, I consider it a pleasure and honor to stand side to side next to you on this topic.

"You will be dead, so long as you refuse to die" (George MacDonald)
IrishGuards

Post by IrishGuards »

Global WW2 is the right path, then add spanish civil war and other events between 1936-1939 before the world war begins !!
[X(]
IG
Sugar

Post by Sugar »

I would suggest different scoutingranges on different types of naval units, the heavier the less. Spottingrange could also be improved by a seperate Research of Radar/Sonar. That would also improve the value of destroyers and cruisers and allow a typical combatformation even for the now blind axisfleets.

That worked fine in the old BattleIsle 2 titles, and could have been easily integrated into this fabulous game.

davidshq

Post by davidshq »

ORIGINAL: Iñaki Harrizabalagatar
I disagree, I think the game engine will have problems with any period before WW1, in which you have small armies fighting in which in the current SC3 map would be just one hex.

Hi Inaki,

I've seen a few folks mention issues with the scaling, but I don't understand this. It seems to me that one could (if it is exposed) simply change the distance each hex represented and use it to cover smaller scale battles.

Can you help me understand the dilemma?

Thanks,
Dave
Iñaki Harrizabalagatar

Post by Iñaki Harrizabalagatar »

In SC3 the game scale is about 50Kms/Hex, that is about the frontage of several divisions in WW2, maybe a Corps could cover it depending on terrain features, enemy menace, etc. However in Napoleonic Wars a Corps deployed for battle would barely cover a couple of Kms, in an SC3 hex you can deploy whole Napoleonic armies. If you want a map scale that makes sense it would have to be at least (or at most) 5Kms/hex. So, the resulting map of Europe, if you want to cover the complete Napoleonic Wars, would be simply enormous.
davidshq

Post by davidshq »

Could this be fixed by allowing resizing of the hex dimensions? e.g., instead of a hex being (I'm not sure actual dimensions) say 100x100 it becomes 50x50?

Additionally, I suppose it may not work on a corps level, but one could simulate at a grand strategy / army level, no?

Dave
Iñaki Harrizabalagatar

Post by Iñaki Harrizabalagatar »

ORIGINAL: davidshq

Could this be fixed by allowing resizing of the hex dimensions? e.g., instead of a hex being (I'm not sure actual dimensions) say 100x100 it becomes 50x50?

Additionally, I suppose it may not work on a corps level, but one could simulate at a grand strategy / army level, no?

Dave
To the first question, resizing is possible, but it means to make a whole new map. Besides the huge work that would involve, I am not sure what the right scale would be, maybe something like 5Kms/Hex, and time scale would have to be scale down to 1 day/turn, for a Corps scale, that means that we could maybe make scenarios to depict a campaign but certainly not an entire war.
At army level the problem is that we would end up with some 4 or 5 units per side, not very playable.
fractious_celt

Post by fractious_celt »

I'd like to see the game go totally global.
elxaime

Post by elxaime »

A Roman Empire era game would be fascinating. The AI could control various barbarians and barbarian invasions. Turns would be 3 per year (spring, summer fall) with winter being a administrative turn only. Given the time scale, the SC combat system should be fine, since it is abstracted. Multiplayer could involve Roman civil wars, scenarios like Conquest of Gaul, campaigns in Parthia, etc.
JVJ

Return to “Strategic Command WWII War in Europe”