server vs email game

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

rjohn37752

server vs email game

Post by rjohn37752 »

what's the difference between a server game and a play-by-email game?
Timmeh

RE: server vs email game

Post by Timmeh »

I recently discovered that if you walk away from an open server game on your computer and don't make it back before your CPU restarts with updates you haven't wasted a good hour and a half on your turn. I haven't played PBEM, but I think I would have been hooped and had to do it all again.
56ajax

Post by 56ajax »

Server - game is stored on a server and you access it through the multiplayer button. You get a server email when it is your turn. You can save your game back to the server when you like but once you push F12 you dont see the game again until it is your turn. And sometimes the server is down. And there is no chance of any planning whilst you wait your turn. And there is less chance to cheat.

PBEM - from memory partner sends their completed turn by email; you drop it into a folder and play your turn. I think you are relying on the honesty of the person you are playing against.
Molotov : This we did not deserve.

Foch : This is not peace. This is a 20 year armistice.

C'est la guerre aérienne
Icier

Post by Icier »

To play a server game you need constant access to the internet..which is a bit of hassle when there is an upgrade to system. I had 1 server game where there were 12 dropouts in an hour,very frustrating.

PBEM games which I have just starting playing again only requires the initial moves being sent to your email account & then you can play anywhere.
As for the cheating bug that was in the game is gone.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
rjohn37752

Post by rjohn37752 »

So it sounds like theres no advantage to playing a server game.
EwaldvonKleist

Post by EwaldvonKleist »

If you have a trustworthy opponent and your computer has no crashes which destroy all files, there is IMO no advantage in a server game.
You can cheat a lot with PBEM: Take the file, play a little bit and find the best way to attack. Then open the file again and play your super-optimized turn. Or just reload the turn if you had bad dice rolls.
Icier

Post by Icier »

ORIGINAL: EwaldvonKleist

You can cheat a lot with PBEM: Take the file, play a little bit and find the best way to attack. Then open the file again and play your super-optimized turn. Or just reload the turn if you had bad dice rolls.

You can do exactly the same thing on a server game.
Lets be honest here, we are all going to come across cheaters & when that happens,you will just have to decide what
to do, its a fact of life.
Besides, you can always argue that the Germans High Command, war gamed every major attack.

The beauty of PBEM...you don't need internet except to send & receive, so you take it to work, on a date..whatever!
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
MrBlizzard

Post by MrBlizzard »

With PBEM there's no proof that someone has cheated. When you find odd results you have to decide if trusting or not in your opponent.
With a server game if you want to cheat you have to reload the game without saving. This remains in server log so the staff can exclude cheaters after repeated anomalies not justified.
I read this in another thread.
I hope someone sometimes really can find the time to check.
Blizzard
Kel

Post by Kel »

What I like in server games : simple, efficient, no risk of attaching the wrong file with the mail.

What I appreciate in a PBEM game : the ability to play the turn without pressure, save it and come back to it later (quite good for those long critical turns, where every AP spending must be carefully calculated, less so for more tedious routine muddy turns), and drop a few lines of comments to the partner.

I'd say both are great.
Kein Operationsplan reicht mit einiger Sicherheit
über das erste Zusammentreffen
mit der feindlichen Hauptmacht hinaus.
Stelteck

Post by Stelteck »

you can save the game current turn and come back later in server too. But you need internet connection.
Brakes are for cowards !!
Kel

Post by Kel »

Then server games just need a comment box. Hope WitE2 will get this feature like DC:Barbarossa.
Kein Operationsplan reicht mit einiger Sicherheit
über das erste Zusammentreffen
mit der feindlichen Hauptmacht hinaus.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”