Economy demystified

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

FingNewGuy

RE: Economy demystified

Post by FingNewGuy »

OK! Thanks for the clarification. [8D]
Hattori Hanzo

Post by Hattori Hanzo »

can someone by any chance tell me when and how often taxes are paid ?
BlueTemplar

Post by BlueTemplar »

I'm a bit rusty, but isn't it this?
ORIGINAL: BlueTemplar
- Money is generated by population about every 37 days (about 1/10 of a year).
Hattori Hanzo

Post by Hattori Hanzo »

thank you BlueTemplar, I didn't notice it.. [8|]

so the tax amount that we see on the empire summary screen is the annual amount and 1/10 of it is collected 10 times in a year more or less every 37 days starting from the beginning of the year - correct ?

BlueTemplar

Post by BlueTemplar »

If I Remember Correctly, yes, but to be honest I was just passing through here, I haven't really played the game since the time of that post (almost 2 years ago). Also things might have been changed since.
But in this specific case, it shouldn't be too hard to check, should it?
Retreat1970

Post by Retreat1970 »

I would argue every 14ish days, but don't hold me to that. It doesn't seem to hold a pattern well.
NephilimNexus

Post by NephilimNexus »

The best way to make more money for the private sector is to go to the ship almanac and scrap about fifty of your freighters and/or mining ships at random. The AI will then immediately try to replace all of them at once, and the bill for that will be paid from the private sector savings (which you can't access) directly into your government treasury (which you can access).
BlueTemplar

Post by BlueTemplar »

For the sake of the completeness, here's the information from the Galactopedia with a very nice chart :
Your Empire

Your empire consists of your colonies – worlds where you have a loyal population.

The citizens of your colonies act independently of your actions and form your Private economy. They actively seek to improve their colonies and increase their wealth.

Thus these citizens seek out business opportunities trading in-demand goods between your colonies and the colonies of other empires.

Hardy citizens will also form mining expeditions – extracting valuable resources all over the explored galaxy and returning them to your space ports for use.

The population on each of your colonies will grow over time, eventually reaching a natural limit on each type of world. As the population grows it produces more income, providing a larger tax base to fund your empire.

State Income
Your State economy is funded by four main sources of income:

1. taxes on your colonies

2. fees on transactions at your space ports

3. private citizens purchasing ships for construction at your space ports

4. bonuses from free trade agreements with other empires

Thus your strategy for boosting state income should include the following:

· Keep expanding your empire with new colonies – this stimulates trade and causes your private citizens to purchase more freighters and other ships

· Ensure safe trade routes for freighters transporting goods to your colonies – higher level development at colonies means more tax income

· Seek free trade agreements with friendly empires to supplement your income. You reap bonus income from the total trade volume between your two empires.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”