19 Abandoned Cities You Never Knew Existed

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

wings7

19 Abandoned Cities You Never Knew Existed

Post by wings7 »

Some of these really opened up my eyes...[X(]
http://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/tripide ... lE#image=1

Patrick
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
zakblood

RE: 19 Abandoned Cities You Never Knew Existed

Post by zakblood »

thanks as always [&o]
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
Orm

Post by Orm »

Thank you for sharing. [&o]

A few of those I knew about. I suppose that there are plenty of abandoned cities, or towns, all around the world.
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: wings7

Some of these really opened up my eyes...[X(]
http://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/tripide ... lE#image=1

Patrick
warspite1

I will never forget the name Ouradour-Sur-Glane from the wonderful World At War documentary. It was images from this village that opened the series.
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Orm

Post by Orm »

Here is a example of a Swedish abandoned town. Messaure was a town created for housing workers when the nearby power plant was built. It lasted for a while after the plant was finished but was eventually abandoned.

A picture of the town square. The sign is where the library was located.

Attachments
Messaure_2..4152256.jpg
Messaure_2..4152256.jpg (316.52 KiB) Viewed 58 times
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
wings7

Post by wings7 »

ORIGINAL: Orm

Here is a example of a Swedish abandoned town. Messaure was a town created for housing workers when the nearby power plant was built. It lasted for a while after the plant was finished but was eventually abandoned.

A picture of the town square. The sign is where the library was located.

Do you know how far the town was from the plant site? What was start and complete date of the plant? Did you take this photo? Thanks for posting! [:)]
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
Orm

Post by Orm »

The picture is from the Swedish wiki page. Below is a picture of the actual power plant.

I do not know how far from the plant the town is. But I suspect it is fairly close.

The plant was built between 1957 and 1962. The town was then used when building several other power plants (8). The peak population was 2300 and the town was finally abandoned 1980 and the houses were transported to other locations.

I found this page when I looked after a Swedish ghost town that I visited in my younger days but forgot the name of it. Maybe I will get back to that one later.

Attachments
1280pxMes..4190824.jpg
1280pxMes..4190824.jpg (271.59 KiB) Viewed 58 times
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

The peak population was 2300 and the town
Does 2300 pop qualify as a town? In Finland are locations with way more than that, and those are only municipals.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
Orm

Post by Orm »

ORIGINAL: Matti Kuokkanen

The peak population was 2300 and the town
Does 2300 pop qualify as a town? In Finland are locations with way more than that, and those are only municipals.
The population size of cities and towns seems to be fluid.

And municipality has more to do with how to govern an area than the size of the population or area. For example, Stockholm is considered a municipality.
wings7

Post by wings7 »

The picture is from the Swedish wiki page. Below is a picture of the actual power plant.

I do not know how far from the plant the town is. But I suspect it is fairly close.

The plant was built between 1957 and 1962. The town was then used when building several other power plants (8). The peak population was 2300 and the town was finally abandoned 1980 and the houses were transported to other locations.

I found this page when I looked after a Swedish ghost town that I visited in my younger days but forgot the name of it. Maybe I will get back to that one later.

Thanks Orm! Great info! [:)][&o]

Return to “General Discussion”