new board game on steam, yes steam

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

zakblood

new board game on steam, yes steam

Post by zakblood »

Kursk - Battle at Prochorovka

Code: Select all

http://store.steampowered.com/app/605200/

A fan of the old Avalon Hill/SPI WW2 strategy war games? Like to think about your next move rather than having quick reaction times? Battle Series Eastern Front - Kursk - Battle at Prochorovka is the game for you.

Battle Series Eastern Front - Kursk - Battle at Prochorovka, covers one of largest single tank battle in the history of warfare. Approximately 1000 tanks and assault guns met head to head near the town of Prochorovka, in a battle that became a desperate close range shoot-out which would decide the ultimate success or failure of Operation Zitadelle.

The 2nd SS Panzer Korps began it's attack on July 3rd, and spent the next 8 days breaking through the dense Russian defensive positions. During the late afternoon and evening of the 11th, they broke through and repulsed a counterattack by the Russian 31st Tank Corps. Reorganizing during the night, the panzers struck northward before dawn on the 12th. As dawn broke, the lead German elements ran head-on into the lead elements of the Soviet 5th Guards Tank Army and the battle was on. It was to last all day, in confused and savage fighting at close ranges.

This game recreates that day with the player being able to play both as the Russians and Germans or against the AI.

Turn Based with each turn having a Move and Attack phase
Units are at battalion level and represent the units present on the day of the battle
Units have an Attack, Defense and Movement Allowance
Artillery units also have a Range allowance
Map represents the key features at the time with the embanked railway line and river causing the fighting to be fought almost as three separate battles
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
zakblood

RE: new board game on steam, yes steam

Post by zakblood »

atm it's on EA, so early access so not all the features on in, but it's a board game in all ways, with the same layout and options, but plays like the Drive On Moscow game in many ways, just a different battle in scale and scope.

programmed in Java, it's fast and plays very well, hot seat mode only atm, but price is low, but quality is high, one to watch and see how it develops over time in EA.

i'd recommend it to anyone who enjoys Drive On Moscow and that sort of level of game play, as while some stuff is covered, others are abstracted atm, no idea if it will be added later or not, so FOW isn't atm, but LOS is, but not sure on ZOC either, so WIP on all counts tbh...
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (736.72 KiB) Viewed 266 times
Capitaine

Post by Capitaine »

Certainly has the kind of map art I like best. Will keep an eye on this for when they've got an AI.
Red2112

Post by Red2112 »

Thank you Zak, will pull the trigger on this one [;)]

Some history...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Prokhorovka

http://warfarehistorynetwork.com/daily/wwii/the-battle-of-kursk-showdown-at-prokhorovka-and-oboian/

Cheers!

On Steam as (Red2112)
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

np,. add me if you like username is the same on steam zakblood[8D]

enjoy and see you on steam
Alan Sharif

Post by Alan Sharif »

Thanks for posting, very interesting.
A Sharif
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

it's EA, so still has some development to still do, like AI and other stuff to add, but i've done 6 hours on it today, so feel i've had my money's worth out of it already, and it can only get better, no idea who the maker is, as there new to me and only found out about it myself today, as a friend posted it on my wall, so credit goes to him for finding it tbh, but he's not on here so little point in mentioning him either, but on steam he develops games as well, but they're not connected in any way.

so your welcome[:)]
Red2112

Post by Red2112 »

Done, thanks Zak!

Warfare? Syrian Warfare is cool too but undergoing some legal issues at the moment, will be back on store the 15th they say. GOG has World in Conflict for $3ish and Door Knockers $2ish. Just for the record [;)]
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

yes still got my eye on that one as well, as while it's real time, it seems to be getting a good following so later in the year i'll jump on that as well, just a bit on atm and away quite a bit now, so trying to balance it all atm[:)]
U2

Post by U2 »

Finally something for the PC that looks like a good wargame!
U2

Post by U2 »

AFAIK, neither Nashorn panzerjägers nor Panthers were attached to the Waffen SS that fought at Prokorowka. They should fix that.
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

well the developer is a good guy or seems to be anyway, and is open to comments, just give him the information and he may amend it, or it's abstracted etc, as there are some what if type battles planned, this maybe just be one of them in early release, either way i'm not sure
Early Access Game
Get instant access and start playing; get involved with this game as it develops.
Note: This Early Access game is not complete and may or may not change further. If you are not excited to play this game in its current state, then you should wait to see if the game progresses further in development. Learn more
WHAT THE DEVELOPERS HAVE TO SAY:
Why Early Access?
“I am a big fan of strategy games and know the level of perfection needed to attain the best player experience, game flow and game systems. This can only be achieved with thorough testing and iteration. Simply put, I need experienced and passionate strategy players to make "Kursk - Battle at Prochorovka" the best it can be!”
Approximately how long will this game be in Early Access?
“Dependent on community feedback I plan to exit Early Access in June 2017 once the AI feature is complete. During Early Access I will provide updates should any critical bugs be found and when a version of the game with sufficiently developed AI is available.”
How is the full version planned to differ from the Early Access version?
“The full version will support one player game v computer AI. This is missing in the Early Access version. Once complete a player will be able to choose to play against another player (via hot seat play) or solo against the AI.

In addition more help screens and in game pops ups will be provided in the full version to assist the novice player.

I also intend to include some scenario variants to the game to allow the player to play some "What if" scenarios.

The game presently autosaves. In the full version the player will be able to save additional games to load at a later date.”
What is the current state of the Early Access version?
“The game is fully playable and feature complete as a two player hot seat game, one playing the Germans and the other Russians.

This version of the game has been tested and is stable.

The game presently autosaves at the end of each turn (in Full version player will also be able to generate their own saved games)”
Will the game be priced differently during and after Early Access?
“Yes. The Early Access version is cheaper than the full release as a thank you to you for being an early adopter of the game.”
How are you planning on involving the Community in your development process?
I welcome feedback! I love making games like this and I know there are many of you that do so to. Together we can play games that we are passionate about.”
wings7

Post by wings7 »

Thanks Zak! [:)] It does look good...here is developers website.
http://www.yobowargames.com/
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

well 6 hours in and only one bug found, so WIP and one odd spelling mistake, but then again that's from a dyslexic (me) so there maybe more, but enjoying it so far and look forward to what's going to be added next.

edited:

early access to some is good as you can if the developers are good one, alter and shape the game you buy into and help with others to mold it into a better game, in your opinion, as others may not like what you suggest, but this is life, it's like alpha or beta testing, except you buy and don't offer your help for free.

so it's not for everyone, some feel it's too rough and too early a release on some games, while others like the input and feedback offered as it's a two way street with some EA developers, so it's good, but while i like the chance, i wouldn't say it's totally for everyone either, as most won't like the times when you can't progress and move on, while you wait for a given patch etc etc.

so think before you leap, and make your own mind up what works and what doesn't work for you...
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

ORIGINAL: U2

AFAIK, neither Nashorn panzerjägers nor Panthers were attached to the Waffen SS that fought at Prokorowka. They should fix that.

Code: Select all

https://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/118029-the-battle-of-kursk-facts-and-fiction/

this is all i could find, so i have posted it and will see what he says on it, thanks[&o]

Attachments
proklossesb4syb.jpg
proklossesb4syb.jpg (263.02 KiB) Viewed 265 times
operationa..rskcxuzx.jpg
operationa..rskcxuzx.jpg (148.06 KiB) Viewed 265 times
Capitaine

Post by Capitaine »

Not sure I'm seeing everything but while they do have Panthers involved, I couldn't see a Nashorn. You might be mistaking the Hummel for a Nashorn... or I'm missing it.
demyansk

Post by demyansk »

I like the way the game looks. Keep us posted when it's ready.
Fred98

Post by Fred98 »

You called it a board game. Does the computer do the calculations?
U2

Post by U2 »

ORIGINAL: Capitaine

Not sure I'm seeing everything but while they do have Panthers involved, I couldn't see a Nashorn. You might be mistaking the Hummel for a Nashorn... or I'm missing it.

The gun looks like an anti-tank gun and not the 150mm the Hummel had. Or am I missing something? I'm not an expert on the Nashorn/Hummel.

Return to “General Discussion”