wish AI more flexbile

The new Cold War turned hot wargame from On Target Simulations, now expanded with the Player's Edition! Choose the NATO or Soviet forces in one of many scenarios or two linked campaigns. No effort was spared to model modern warfare realistically, including armor, infantry, helicopters, air support, artillery, electronic warfare, chemical and nuclear weapons. An innovative new asynchronous turn order means that OODA loops and various effects on C3 are accurately modeled as never before.

Moderators: IronMikeGolf, Mad Russian, WildCatNL, cbelva, IronManBeta, CapnDarwin

stasv

wish AI more flexbile

Post by stasv »

Hi, I'm a newbi because I have played not so many battles. The game is great, but could AI forces be a little less straightforward? Thanks!
CapnDarwin

RE: wish AI more flexbile

Post by CapnDarwin »

Could you explain a bit more on what looks off and what you believe could correct the situation? The AI is better at attacking than defending. Something we are working on for Southern Storm. The AI is dynamic and responds to what it sees and what missions it needs to perform.

We review all comments, positive and negative so we can improve the quality of the game.
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC
budd

Post by budd »

Bet he's talking about Soviet doctrine[:D]
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

But Budd, Soviet doctrine is basically straightforward. [:D]

stasv

Post by stasv »

I'm sorry if I've offended you. The points is last two battles I had, the AI enemy was assaulting my positions at a very narrow front at all costs.
And one more thing I found to be strange, when AI lost all its main force, it continued to attack with mortar squads, HQs, etc. Maybe I am wrong and all is ok, I don't know...
I have a video on youtube with a good example, but I cant paste it here because I must have more message, but I have nothing to write. [8|]
stasv

Post by stasv »

ORIGINAL: **budd**

Bet he's talking about Soviet doctrine[:D]
Yes, it was the red army both times [8D]
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

Stasv, no offense at all. The current AI does not have the means to know that the lead elements are gone and support elements attempt to continue the mission their group was given. We are making a number of changes to fix this in the next game.

Stimpak

Post by Stimpak »

Scripting AI behavior into scenarios like you can in, say, Steel Beasts for example, would be amazing to add in. Gives scenario editors a lot more flexibility.
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

There's a trade off when scripting an AI. While you can direct actions, those actions will alway play out the same way. You start getting a chess game since dynamic actions are now removed. A dynamic AI will do some odd things at times, but it can be more reactive or even have emergent behaviors from the combinations of inputs. That's more like Red Storm's AI system. The trick down the road is to have the right blend of these elements to get the best of both worlds. Or best we can get in a simulation.

stasv

Post by stasv »

It is just because last my game they were almost stubborn in their attempts. I understand all this about the doctrine, but...ok, I dont know, may be since it is not permitted I will be banned, the truth is worth more, look here is youtube link without first symbols so if you want you add them yourself com/watch?v=ZxFYoaaRQwg they attack like they hammer a nail clong-clong-clong-clong
And it seems to me that AI before the latest patch was a little different.
WildCatNL

Post by WildCatNL »

Stasv, thanks for your feedback and uploading the video. Can you also share the save game with us (as these will tell how the AI perceived the battlefield)?
William
stasv

Post by stasv »

ok I'll do it a little later couldn't time right now
stasv

Post by stasv »

I cant get how I can add a file with a save here...
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

You gave to have a minimum of 10 posts in the forums to be allowed to post files. Also use the Post Reply button and not the Fast reply or post window at the bottom. Those have limited upload options.

stasv

Post by stasv »

I'm sorry I didn' provide the files in time, but better late than never. It is turned out that I need wait 7 days else. Anyway, here dropbox links, again without first symbols, add dropbox and so on
com/s/edq06miipys9u5p/1%20%281%29.zip?dl=0
I think these are those that were needed
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

All comments are read and considered. No matter when they are submitted to us.

Good Hunting.

MR
The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

The AI will become more flexible in the very near future. (Southern Storm) What the AI does in Red Storm is to try to apply Soviet doctrine from the 1946-2000 era. Put quite simply that is to ATTACK!

The Soviet doctrine after WW2 evolved to be even more aggressive than it was in WW2. They considered that the Hammer should strike as hard as possible and end the conflict within days, not months.

To do that they had to attack.

For those of you that don't like the extreme emphasis on the AI attacking without regards to losses, well, all I can tell you is that is 100% accurate. The Soviets would not reinforce failure, don't expect more forces to come your way if you are the one being hammered, but they also would not pull back from a failure. Their thinking is that even though they are losing this battle they are tying down forces that would be released for other battles, in other locations, if this battle stopped and they didn't want their opponent to shift their forces.

As the AI becomes more flexible, to show more national tendencies and for defensive postures, this will get a complete make over.

Hope that helps.

Good Hunting.

MR
The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.
MikeJ19

Post by MikeJ19 »

Sounds great and thanks for the update. Any idea when Southern Storm is due out?

Thanks,

Mike
Mike

Retired Gunner
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

Mike the latest best guess on Southern Storm is Q1 2018, but that date can and will move around depending on how rough or smooth real life is for the team. [8D]

stasv

Post by stasv »

I absolutely agree with all about the doctrine and so on. When the scenario beginned and it was a placement phase, I was sitting and thinkin where I would placed my units and what I would do in an enemy place. So when I looked at the map I decided to place my force (there were no do-overs) so and so because I thinked that I would made an attack in the center too. But what was next after I attacked in the center and saw that it strenghten. My tanks stopped attacks and beginned a duels, and motoinfantry used the flanks.

Return to “Flashpoint Campaigns Classic”