Win10 upgrade issue

Post bug reports and ask for help with other issues here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

witpqs

RE: Win10 upgrade issue

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

"C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -deepColor -cpu2 -multiaudio -dd_sw -px1600 -py900
So far so good...
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

General tab

Attachments
Generaltab.jpg
Generaltab.jpg (87.65 KiB) Viewed 124 times
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

Shortcut tab

Attachments
Shortcut.jpg
Shortcut.jpg (81.13 KiB) Viewed 124 times
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

I'm not seeing anything troubling. How about a pic of the "Compatibility" tab?
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

Did you know?

That if you-in the process of monkeying with the switches-accidentally delete a single space, it will invalidate the line and render your pathway null?

Did you know?

That if you-in the process of monkeying with the switches-accidentally save the slightly different (yet wholly unworkable) line that it will cause the game to freeze and not start properly?

Did you know?

That if you click on the shortcut with this incorrect line again and again it will produce largely the same errors-again and again?

Did you know?

That if you correct this and then upload the corrected screenshots to a friendly tech help site, that they won't spot any issues-because you've already corrected your own fat-fingered errors?

I learn something new every day...[:D]
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

I learn something new every day...

Attachments
YoungFran..inThuumb.jpg
YoungFran..inThuumb.jpg (5.33 KiB) Viewed 125 times
cohimbra

Post by cohimbra »

Windows 10 made me crazy, finally got a solution for my laptop (Toshiba AMD E2-1800 APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 1.70 GHz, 4GB RAM).
Command line is:

"...\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -px1366 -py768 -SingleCpuOrders –multiaudio -deepColor -noFire -archive
(where the 'performance command' are -SingleCpuOrders –multiaudio -deepColor).

After I set the .exe compatibility with WindowsXP (Service Pack 3) and the game run fast like in my CoreDuo PC, 1/2* seconds to loading game, 1/2* seconds to load saved campaign.
Hope this can help someone.

Don't forget to read What's New.pdf that you find in the main game folder, it explain clearly what's the way to go if you have Intel or AMD, I found it very useful.

* well, maybe some more [:D]
s2tanker

Post by s2tanker »

Keep trying the above suggestions. After upgrading to Windows 10, the scrolling and reaction time is painfully slow. None of the above have yet worked.
Know the enemy and yourself...
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: chuckdevore

Keep trying the above suggestions. After upgrading to Windows 10, the scrolling and reaction time is painfully slow. None of the above have yet worked.
Make sure that the "-" characters in your shortcut are the "-" on the keyboard, NOT copy/pasted from any manual. They look the same but are different and cause the switches to be ignored.
s2tanker

Post by s2tanker »

No joy. Still has massive scrolling delay, rendering the game virtually unplayable. Buttons are slow as well.
MakeeLearn

Post by MakeeLearn »

In the shortcut;

The switches work with the .exe

"C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe"

and not the autorun.exe

"C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\autorun.exe"

s2tanker

Post by s2tanker »

It's a miracle! Thanks!
Admiral DadMan

Post by Admiral DadMan »

ORIGINAL: chuckdevore

It's a miracle! Thanks!
We live to serve.
Scenario 127: "Scraps of Paper"
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:
mwalker

Post by mwalker »

Could anyone here please write out step my step how to make this fix? Terminology, and location if information is unclear to me. It appears that one must find a bunch of readings about one's graphic card, I don't even know where to find that. Is there any chance we will get a patch or fix so that the game it playable again, because presently it is not.

Thanks,

Mike
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

ORIGINAL: mwalker

Could anyone here please write out step my step how to make this fix? Terminology, and location if information is unclear to me. It appears that one must find a bunch of readings about one's graphic card, I don't even know where to find that. Is there any chance we will get a patch or fix so that the game it playable again, because presently it is not.

Thanks,

Mike

Forget about fiddling with your graphics card, 99.999% of the difficulties experienced by players do not stem from it.

The game is very playable on Win10. Some, but by no means all Win10 users, experience some difficulties which can be resolved by adding command switches. These solutions are outlined in the readme file which is found at the start of every official update. This thread also provides in many posts the details on a step by step basis.

The command line switches were introduced 7 years ago. Win10 has not introduced any new difficulty which cannot be resolved by these switches. There are many different issues experienced by people precisely because the different hardware and software installations can create different issues to each individual.

Stating that the game is unplayable on Win10 is meaningless. That is the same as going to a doctor and stating, without providing any details to the doctor, "I'm sick". Identifying your specific problem is the first step to resolving your situation.

Alfred
mwalker

Post by mwalker »

I have gone through this entire thread and while it may come as a shock to some people I don't know what a switch is. Apparently I am stupid, its certainly the feeling I get reading your post. I am not the only person who was and is unable to fix this. As you see in my profile while I don't post much, I have been a member since 2004 and bought many games including this one twice. This is the first time I have received such a response. I guess I will just play other games, there are plenty of them.

Mike
m10bob

Post by m10bob »

A "switch" would be the small letters and dashes you might see at the end of a command line in the above examples... for instance..."-w" is a switch allowing the game to be played in windows format.

sanderz

Post by sanderz »

ORIGINAL: mwalker

I have gone through this entire thread and while it may come as a shock to some people I don't know what a switch is. Apparently I am stupid, its certainly the feeling I get reading your post. I am not the only person who was and is unable to fix this. As you see in my profile while I don't post much, I have been a member since 2004 and bought many games including this one twice. This is the first time I have received such a response. I guess I will just play other games, there are plenty of them.

Mike

As Albert mentioned there is a "readme" file in the main directory that explains a lot about "switches", your post doesn't make it clear whether you have read it yet. If you read that it should help and perhaps make some of the above posts make sense (and it gives some examples of how switches are used).

Its even possible its nothing to do with switches, you need to be much more specific on what exactly happens when you try to run the game and any error messages. Are you running the beta patch? Are you starting the game from the launcher, a shortcut to the .exe file, or a shortcut to the beta .exe file?? Unfortunately there are many reasons the game might not work but without more detailed info its difficult to help.

Have another look and let us know what you find.
FOW

Slow Mouse Clicks and Map Scrolling

Post by FOW »

HI guys I'm looking for some help.

Coming back to the game after a few years off and I'm still having issues with mouse click response speed in-game. It used to run perfectly fine on my Vista laptop before it died, but I'm not getting acceptable in-game speed (2-3 seconds between mouse click and change appearing). Game and scenario loading go OK.
I have an 'older' HP laptop - Intel i3, 2.1 Ghz, 8Gb RAM, Win 10.

So I've read the 'read me' file on switch use but no luck in getting an improvement; it seems to make no difference whether I use '-dd_sw' or not!
My shortcut currently looks like this:

"C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition DBB\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -cpu2 -SingleCpuOrders -multiaudio -dd_sw -f -px1366 -py768

Compatiblity mode I've played around with using Vista SP2 / win 7 / win8 / XP SP3 but to no effect. I've also made sure all the '-' are correctly typed from the keyboard

Any Ideas?

EDIT:

I posted this having played around for a few hours and getting nowhere - then a miracle happened - read an older thread and added '-deepColor' ...

WOW did that fix it [X(] - who would have guessed, I certainly didn't expect that particular switch to have an affect on speed (which is why I hadn't experimented with it).
An old post by 'wipqs' held the answer [&o]
witpqs

RE: Slow Mouse Clicks and Map Scrolling

Post by witpqs »

[8D]

Return to “Tech Support”