Adivice On This Game

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

kip1214

Adivice On This Game

Post by kip1214 »

Was looking to buy this game. I seen it was on special on steam. I have played war games all my life. I just bought TOH, and I love it. How hard is this game to learn, and can you complete a campaign in a reasonable time. I had War in the pacific by the same maker, and it was crazy, especially the first few moves. Is this game worth buying and can you give me a few suggestions on the game if I decide to buy it. Thanks.
jacktimes2

RE: Adivice On This Game

Post by jacktimes2 »

It is a big undertaking, but I find it nowhere near as intimidating as War in the Pacific. It's my favorite Eastern Front wargame.
HMSWarspite

Post by HMSWarspite »

There are smaller 'training scenarios' you can plan against the AI and have a lot of fun learning after only a single read of the rules (or not even that if you insist). If you are a 'win at all costs' competitive player you have a steep learning curve before you stop getting bits of your anatomy handed to you repeatedly. However you can have a lot of fun playing the AI on easy and moderate settings. On harder settings it gives you a good game (Although with a 'non-human' feel - you can learn its style and hand it sucker punches). By that point you will know the game pretty well. Not a beer and pretzel game, but as Kip said, nowhere in the WitP league (where you need to learn that 14" torpedoes can only be loaded in ports with a 'y' in the name, on alternate Tuesdays, and only if you have a Burger van in the port support unit...[;)]
I have a cunning plan, My Lord
kip1214

Post by kip1214 »

Thanks for the input. I think I may buy it next week if I have the money. I like tactical intense games like this.
ericv

Post by ericv »

Yes. WITPAE's complexity and depth is just amazing. In that regard WitE is not that difficult to learn, you can play it easily enough without the manual. It is still hard enough to master though, without the manual practically impossible.

budd

Post by budd »

if you can get the whole package, the big campaign is still too much for me but if you get the DLC there's a lot of scenarios. I enjoy it and hope to one day be up to the big campaign.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.
topeverest

Post by topeverest »

WITPAE is an outstanding high quality simulation.

WITE also is of high quality and strongly recommended - is meant to be played pbem - - - - -

Your wife better not find out!

oh and you will have no life...
Andy M
Stelteck

Post by Stelteck »

WITP and WITE are both very complex game. The advantage of WITE is that you have a turn of one week, instead of a turn of one day.

I played 2 full WITP campaign going to 1944. WITP can have very long turn at the start, but once you set things in motions (first turn could take for me 4 hour), most turns are only "common check" that can be done in 15 minutes. Once place on spot, most units in WITP do only routine patrol without human intervention.

It is not the case in WITE. WITE have less thing to do at peak, but have more thing to do during low activity period. You often have to move all your units every turn.

As a conclusion, i would say that both game take the same amount of time during play. But of course as WITE take 7 time less turn to finish the campaign, a game will not take as long.

you also have a lots of small interesting scenario.

It is also 2 times faster to play german, as there is less units to move.
Brakes are for cowards !!
SheperdN7

Post by SheperdN7 »

It is daunting at first glance but I've found this game way easier to learn then WitP:AE (Which I still like more then WitE just for the record). The manual explains things well enough that you can learn the core principles. I've done 2 playthroughs till mid '44, once as Axis and once as Soviets and it took me about 4 months to get to that point as Germans and about 6 months to get to that point as Soviets. Bear in mind this was against AI, I have not played a PBEM game yet.

In comparison it took me about 6 months just to get to April 1942 in WitP:AE (daily turns are a grind but you learn to LOVE the immersion).

If you're willing to put in the time, go get this game even if it wasn't on sale. The fact that it is, is a no-brainer for me!
Current Games:

WitP:AE PBEM against Greg (Late '44)
AE PBEM against Mogami (Early'44)
WITE PBEM against Boomer Sooner

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”