Does the AI change facing with AT guns?

Tigers on the Hunt is a World War 2 hard-core tactical wargame for PC.

It creates a truly and immersive depth tactical simulation. Tigers on the Hunt boasts a ferocious and adaptive AI which will dynamically respond to a player’s maneuvers.

Moderators: Peter Fisla, Paullus

Missouri_Rebel

Does the AI change facing with AT guns?

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

I know that AT assets and such are not able to move during a scenario but will the ai change facing with them?

Honestly, I'm not sure why they cant move. I long for the day of towed and mobile ordinance.
**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford
UP844

RE: Does the AI change facing with AT guns?

Post by UP844 »

Ordnance is able to move, even though it is not officially stated in the manual. It is an undocumented and experimental feature I discovered by chance, with some quirks.

As far as I have been able to ascertain, you can move (manhandle) any AT guns, mortars, infantry guns as well as artillery pieces up to 76mm. To move them, select the crew and "Double Time"(*). You will then be able to move up to 2 hexes. AI does occasionally move ordnance (especially mortars), but usually doesn't.

I do not know if moving additional personnel units with the crew helps: I think it doesn't.

(*) when I set up a scenario in the editor, the crews were able to move ordnance without recurring to double time and some lighter ordnance (light AT guns, mortars) moved up to 3 hexes per turn. This does not happen when playing any scenarios (including the ones I designed: I added a 3" British mortar to a scenario and it only moved 2 hexes using double time).

I suppose this feature will be refined at a later date.

P.S. if you move a piece of ordnance out of its setup hex, you will lose the "EMPLACED" status: I do not know the exact consequences, but I suppose the gun will become an easier target.
Chasing Germans in the moonlight is no mean sport

Siegfried Sassoon

Long Range Fire (A7.22)........1/2 FP
Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

I'll check that out. Thanks.

But do you know if the ai does indeed change the facing of ordinance during the course of a battle?
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford
Peter Fisla

Post by Peter Fisla »

Yes, AI ordnance (Mortars, AT guns, AA guns, Artillery and Infantry guns) does change its facing if necessary. Manhandling of ordnance is only allowed in human vs human type of game. Writing AI ordnance movement functionality is very difficult to program because its hard to determine where an AI ordnance should move given that how difficult it was to move Ordnance for quick tactical purpose.
Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

ORIGINAL: Peter Fisla

Yes, AI ordnance (Mortars, AT guns, AA guns, Artillery and Infantry guns) do change facing if necessary. Manhandling of ordnance is only allowed in human vs human type of game. Writing AI ordnance movement functionality is very difficult to program because its hard to determine where an AI ordnance should move given that how difficult it was to move Ordnance for quick tactical purpose.

Good to know. I was worried about asset placement in a battle I am working on.

Thanks

Return to “Tigers on the Hunt”