Boy finds German Fighter in hs field, incluing pilots remains

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

JohnDillworth

Boy finds German Fighter in hs field, incluing pilots remains

Post by JohnDillworth »

Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly
dr.hal

RE: Boy finds German Fighter in hs field, incluing pilots remains

Post by dr.hal »

Amazing, thanks for sharing John. I hope they can track down the relatives.
Uncivil Engineer

Post by Uncivil Engineer »

Another wiz CNN journalist - doesn't know the difference between ordinance and ordnance. Of course, the editor, if there is one, is the real moron.
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

You can't borrow an excavator and go down seven or eight meters. Seven feet maybe. It's still amazing it was buried that deep unless this field flooded frequently.

Xargun

Post by Xargun »

It still amazes me every time I read an article like this. The amount of things we are still finding from WW 2. A couple weeks ago I read an article about a unexploded bomb found in a city. Amazing.
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

In Germany around 15 unexploded ordinance from the war are found a day. It's so common it's rarely news worthy.

Bill
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Every now and then building works in the UK come to a halt too as German bombs gets uncovered.
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
LargeSlowTarget

Post by LargeSlowTarget »

ORIGINAL: wdolson

In Germany around 15 unexploded ordinance from the war are found a day. It's so common it's rarely news worthy.

Bill

True. It only makes national headlines if the disposal ends in tragedy (for example, in 2010 three men of the bomb squad died while trying to defuse a US 1000-pound bomb at Göttingen) or if the bomb cannot be defused and has to be blown up in place, like 2012 in Munich, where some buildings caught fire and/or suffered structural damage and lots of windows had to be replaced all around. If the bomb can be defused and moved, only the local newspaper may devote a few lines to the incident.

Regarding the original topic : In Germany we have associations of history buffs which hunt for WWII plane wrecks. Near my hometown there is a museum devoted to the planes - both Allied and German - which have crashed in the region, they display parts of Fw190, Me109, Me110, Ju88 as well as P-38, P-47, P-51, B-17, B-24, Lancaster and Halifax which have crashed within 40-50 km around the towns of Marburg and Giessen (ca. 100km north of Frankfurt). They are doing research in archives and interview the old folks to identify and then dig-up the crash sites. They then try to identify the plane and find out more about it, the unit it belongs to, the last mission that ended in the crash, the aircrew and their fate etc. If human remains are found, efforts are made to identify the crew and to find relatives. Sorry, site available only in German.
Rafid

Post by Rafid »

ORIGINAL: LargeSlowTarget
ORIGINAL: wdolson

Bill

True. It only makes national headlines if the disposal ends in tragedy (for example, in 2010 three men of the bomb squad died while trying to defuse a US 1000-pound bomb at Göttingen) or if the bomb cannot be defused and has to be blown up in place, like 2012 in Munich, where some buildings caught fire and/or suffered structural damage and lots of windows had to be replaced all around. If the bomb can be defused and moved, only the local newspaper may devote a few lines to the incident.

Yesterday it was at the Düsseldorf airport, two highways were blocked during rush hour. I had a meeting in Essen (close by) and most people from the southwest were quite late. But as LST said, it's local news at best.

@LST: Being blown up in place is pretty common if they have the space. You make preparations to vent the blast up (like putting up sand barriers) and against splinters and blow it up. Certainly beats trying to defuse a trigger mechanism that was partially triggered (and maybe damaged) and then corroded in the ground for 70 years. Munich was just special because they had to blow it up knowing that there really wasn't the space.

The real worst case is if they have to transport it away while still armed. Happens if you can’t defuse it at a place like a chemical plant, where blowing it up is out of the question as well. Happens very rarely though.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”