Questions about the Game

Get ready for Mark H. Walker's Lock ‘n Load: Heroes of Stalingrad. This is the first complete computer game in the Lock ‘n Load series, covering the battles in and around Stalingrad during World War II.
Gerry4321

Questions about the Game

Post by Gerry4321 »

Passed up on the game originally partly because of the Spotting idea. But seeing all the activity in here now and the mods I am interested again. Few questions:
1) Is there a zoom feature. If it is a large map can you zoom out for example to get the big picture?
2) Saw Mark Walker comment in a review about the spotting issue. He said if you are sitting there wasting impulses spotting then you are playing the game wrong. Does this mean you have to be moving some units all the time to make those enemy units come alive?
3) Can new linked campaigns be modded into the system or are we forever limited to the two included ones?
4) Any former SL/ASL players here and how are you enjoying the game?
5) How good is tank combat in the game.
6) Saw in a few (?) reviews where it talked about the enemy leaving the shelter of stone buildings to move into the open and attack you? Is this still so?

Appreciate any help,

Gerry
rico21

RE: Questions about the Game

Post by rico21 »

Hi gerry,
It's not a police interrogation,
It's a game![:D]
Gerry4321

Post by Gerry4321 »

Rico, nice to see you here.

Pick your favorite interrogation question and answer it please.
rico21

Post by rico21 »

2)AI officers use a lot time spotting rather than attack move!That's right! [:(]
alex33

Post by alex33 »

I made some scenario of my own and some ASL adaptations (with the "real" boards i scanned and adapted for this game !) but i can't find how to post them right here to share with whom are interested. Help welcome.

Subsidary question : when you create a scenario (with editor) vehicules always appeared to facing West by default. It's annoying especially for reinforcement forces which enter boards during play on the west side (and even north, south or initial placement) presenting de facto their rear to incoming fire and are very vulnerable from a direct hit by ambushing units waiting for them or simply got the initiative. I can't find how to change this. Any solution ?
bigus

Post by bigus »

ORIGINAL: alex33

I made some scenario of my own and some ASL adaptations (with the "real" boards i scanned and adapted for this game !) but i can't find how to post them right here to share with whom are interested. Help welcome.

Subsidary question : when you create a scenario (with editor) vehicules always appeared to facing West by default. It's annoying especially for reinforcement forces which enter boards during play on the west side (and even north, south or initial placement) presenting de facto their rear to incoming fire and are very vulnerable from a direct hit by ambushing units waiting for them or simply got the initiative. I can't find how to change this. Any solution ?

I think it might be Insert/delete on the number pad.
alex33

Post by alex33 »

I found the answer elsewhere. It's "," for rotating counter clockwise & "." for rotating clockwise.

I also found another drawback in the Early war mod. The Panzer I units seems to have infinite rate of fire. Any tip to correct this (a correction in the Units.csv data sheet i presume) ?
alex33

Post by alex33 »

Also another interrogation for DYO scenarii.
Within the Purchase Units option, only certain units are available for each side. Is there a way to add (or replace pre-determined) new units to purchase ?

EDIT : Found !
SlotraceDK

Post by SlotraceDK »

1) Yes, just scroll on your mouse wheel.

Is there any way I can stop the game from centre the pic each time a unit is shot at?
Best regards

René Christensen
Denmark
asl3d

Post by asl3d »

ORIGINAL: Gerry4321

Passed up on the game originally partly because of the Spotting idea. But seeing all the activity in here now and the mods I am interested again. Few questions:
1) Is there a zoom feature. If it is a large map can you zoom out for example to get the big picture?
2) Saw Mark Walker comment in a review about the spotting issue. He said if you are sitting there wasting impulses spotting then you are playing the game wrong. Does this mean you have to be moving some units all the time to make those enemy units come alive?
3) Can new linked campaigns be modded into the system or are we forever limited to the two included ones?
4) Any former SL/ASL players here and how are you enjoying the game?
5) How good is tank combat in the game.
6) Saw in a few (?) reviews where it talked about the enemy leaving the shelter of stone buildings to move into the open and attack you? Is this still so?

Appreciate any help,

Gerry
1) As reported by SlotraceDK, "just scroll on your mouse wheel". However, if you want to make the game more realistic, you should not use "panoramic" vision. A battalion chief did not have that opportunity in World War II. The "smoke of war" is fundamental (if you have ever played Aquad Leader or Advanced Squad Leader, this is an aspect that his designers have always wanted to simulate).
2) As Rico says "AI officers use a lot time spotting rather than attack move". One solution, in the DYO scenarios, is to limit indirect fire units (mortars). In any case, if the unit that was to make indirect fire is close enough to the front, she can shoot herself without the help of an officer or a scout. It is a risk but it is also a solution. Also, if you are on the defensive, the situation is not so bad.
3) I have not analyzed it yet, but I think it will be possible. The historical modules of Carentan and Barricady for "Heroes and Meaders mod" do not contemplate the "campaign" mode. Maybe later think about it.
4) I myself play SL and ASL. They are my favorite board games. Heroes of Stalingrad, although it is not an exact replica of these games, at times I think it exceeds them. Of course it also surpasses Tiger on the Hunt, despite the great effort that Piter Fisla has made.
5) Excellent and very costomizable.
6) It's true, but in DYO games you can easily avoid this. It is possible to define the attitude of each unit of the IA, so that it is relatively easy to avoid this maneuver. However, although it is true that it is a suicide (and has nothing realistic), it is usually a correct strategy if you want to slow down the progress to conquer the objectives of the scenario. If you want to win the scenario without realism, this is a solution.
Semper fidelis
Gerry4321

Post by Gerry4321 »

Thanks very much for your answers and sorry for my belated response. (Rico had scared me away lol.)

Looks like you are doing beautiful stuff in your mods!

Return to “Lock ‘n Load: Heroes of Stalingrad”