Weird Movement Issue

Norm Koger's The Operational Art of War III is the next game in the award-winning Operational Art of War game series. TOAW3 is updated and enhanced version of the TOAW: Century of Warfare game series. TOAW3 is a turn based game covering operational warfare from 1850-2015. Game scale is from 2.5km to 50km and half day to full week turns. TOAW3 scenarios have been designed by over 70 designers and included over 130 scenarios. TOAW3 comes complete with a full game editor.

Moderators: ralphtricky, JAMiAM

Icedawg

Weird Movement Issue

Post by Icedawg »

I divided an infantry battalion into three subunits. When selected, one unit will plot a single-hex, direct path into the hex at a cost of 4 movement points. When selected, the other two will plot a two-hex, looped path into the hex at a cost of 5 movement points. Why is this the case? Shouldn't they all take the cheapest, most direct path to the destination?

Attachments
Forumpost.jpg
Forumpost.jpg (92.99 KiB) Viewed 197 times
Icedawg

RE: Weird Movement Issue

Post by Icedawg »

Forgot to ask - how can I work around this and force the units in question to march directly into the hex (at the cost of 4 movement points rather than 5 movement points).
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

Maybe that is the least 'expensive' route. It's entering the hex via road as opposed to no road. Perhaps the stacking in the hex makes moving in through a road hex side use fewer movement points. I see a battalion sized unit in the hex. What else is in there? What is the hex scale. The time scale? Lots of things go into determining how many movement points will be expended when entering an occupied hex.
http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.
r6kunz

Post by r6kunz »

8.2.11 Division into Sub-Units (Advanced Rules)
Units may divide and recombine. This is done using the Divide / Recombine button in the Unit Report window (see 16.1), or from the popup menu you get by right clicking on the unit icon in the Map Panel. When you choose to divide a unit, it can be divided into either two or three sub-units at your discretion. In order to recombine into the original unit, all sub-units must be present. If any sub-unit is lost, the unit may not recombine until the sub-unit reappears as a reinforcement.

Sub-units will have only about 80% of the parent unit’s proficiency. If you recombine your units, the newly recombined parent unit will have 125% of the average sub-unit’s proficiency. This means that the act of dividing a unit and recombining it will result in no permanent loss of the unit’s Proficiency.
It could be the reduction in proficiency reduces the movement points available. Or like Lobster suggested, other units in the desired path may increase the movement cost to enter that hex.

War is not always predictable.
Avatar image was taken in hex 87,159 Vol 11 of
Vietnam Combat Operations by Stéphane MOUTIN LUYAT aka Boonierat.
Icedawg

Post by Icedawg »

ORIGINAL: Lobster

Maybe that is the least 'expensive' route. It's entering the hex via road as opposed to no road. Perhaps the stacking in the hex makes moving in through a road hex side use fewer movement points. I see a battalion sized unit in the hex. What else is in there? What is the hex scale. The time scale? Lots of things go into determining how many movement points will be expended when entering an occupied hex.

The battalion sized unit is the only unit in the hex. The hex scale is 2.5 km and the time scale is 6 hour turns. The scenario is Bulge 44 and it is the opening turn.

I'm puzzled by the fact that one of the three subunits can move directly into the hex for 4 mps. The other two take the roundabout route for 5 mps. The one that moves in directly is the largest of the three subunits (on division, it gets a few more elements than the other two which are identical to each other), so I'm starting to think it has something to do with the size of the units.
Icedawg

Post by Icedawg »

ORIGINAL: HPT KUNZ
8.2.11 Division into Sub-Units (Advanced Rules)
Units may divide and recombine. This is done using the Divide / Recombine button in the Unit Report window (see 16.1), or from the popup menu you get by right clicking on the unit icon in the Map Panel. When you choose to divide a unit, it can be divided into either two or three sub-units at your discretion. In order to recombine into the original unit, all sub-units must be present. If any sub-unit is lost, the unit may not recombine until the sub-unit reappears as a reinforcement.

Sub-units will have only about 80% of the parent unit’s proficiency. If you recombine your units, the newly recombined parent unit will have 125% of the average sub-unit’s proficiency. This means that the act of dividing a unit and recombining it will result in no permanent loss of the unit’s Proficiency.
It could be the reduction in proficiency reduces the movement points available. Or like Lobster suggested, other units in the desired path may increase the movement cost to enter that hex.

War is not always predictable.

That's good to know about the proficiency cost. I didn't catch that when I read through the manual. I guess I won't be dividing units up as much anymore. Thanks.

All three subunits have the same proficiency (64%) though, so that probably isn't the issue in this case. I guess I'll just chalk it up to the unpredictable nature of war.
Catch21

Post by Catch21 »

Look at the equipment in the sub-units. Could be some got more motorized equipment than others, which might change MPs used.
Tactics are based on Weapons... Strategy on Movement... and Movement on Supply. (J. F. C. Fuller 1878-1966)
Icedawg

Post by Icedawg »

ORIGINAL: General Staff

Look at the equipment in the sub-units. Could be some got more motorized equipment than others, which might change MPs used.

I think that may very well be it. The unit that moves directly into the hex has a truck. The other two do not. Mystery solved. Thanks!

Return to “Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III”