Rogue One: A Tactical Analysis

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Erik Rutins

Rogue One: A Tactical Analysis

Post by Erik Rutins »

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Ranger33

RE: Rogue One: A Tactical Analysis

Post by Ranger33 »

That was a fun read! Was thinking a bit along those lines when I watched the movie. The Rebels spread out so much that they leave their only escape completely defenseless.

I read that the final act of the film was changed a lot after the initial filming. Wonder what the original version was like.
Orm

Post by Orm »

Interesting read. Thank you for sharing.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
Hexagon

Post by Hexagon »

Interesting but for me the analisis fails in one key area... we talk about a raid in a planet/area with only one entrance-exit route, is irrelevant how good is the plan in land if evacuation depends of mantein opened a "door" you cant control using infantry or open using brute force.

The mission was from first moment a suicide mission, why care about evacuation when you know is not possible??? even more, if rebels dont appear in last moment and sacrifice part of his fleet they cant seize the vital data... was not possible move the info from planet to outside it using a vehicle... thanks to comunications can send it outside and at same time put in a 2nd ship to scape outside counterattack from imperial fleet.

Maybe problem was plain it as a raid when was a lot better do it as infiltration ignoring the military part of the plan... in the end the failure of main mission was when fight started and imperials decide close the door when they notice is not necesity of receive reinforcements from perimeter units (outside planet), only luck that made sacrifice vital battleships mantein opened the door enough time.

And well remember how close was the failure when imperials simple decide blow up all... 1 minute between succes and failure... very thin.
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

Article has link to article about Task Force Smith. I read that too. It was interesting to read that 75-mm recoilless rifles didn't do much against T-34 but Finnish Army had stopped and destroyed them with Panzerfausts and Panzerschrecks.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
Mobius

Post by Mobius »

I thought the story so preposterous so I made a webpage on it.
http://www.panzer-war.com/page61.html

One added question: If the only way the tower dish could transmit data was through an opened shield gate why did it have to be re-targeted? It should always be pointed at the gate.
All your Tanks are Belong to us!
panzer
Hexagon

Post by Hexagon »

Maybe after every use of the transmision the tower dish return to a initial position where is locked... something to prevent a guy in control room can send info in a blink, in the movie they need move the tower manually and empire had time to send a fighter to prevent it.

75mm recoilles maybe be hard to use compared with a normal AT gun... i refer that for range attacks you need very well trained crews to hit a target in movement... and in close combat you need very cold blood to manage it oposite to a man portable AT weapon that you shot and run... with a recoilles-AT guns you need stand with weapon if you dont want lose it.

Terrain is other factor... if you have open terrain with a weapon like this you need engage enemy at range and dont leave them come to close to your positions... maybe i remember bad but the defensive positions were skipped no??? they penetrate the line and move with tanks in rear areas... no???
mikkey

Post by mikkey »

Interesting, thanks for sharing.
Qwixt

Post by Qwixt »

My problem with the movies and some SF pictures in general are how are these people communicating across light years instantaneously? In one case in Star wars VII, the rebels could tell instantly when the shields dropped, and then send the fighters, once again, instantly light years away.
jamus34

Post by jamus34 »

ORIGINAL: Mobius

I thought the story so preposterous so I made a webpage on it.
http://www.panzer-war.com/page61.html

One added question: If the only way the tower dish could transmit data was through an opened shield gate why did it have to be re-targeted? It should always be pointed at the gate.

Not to refute your excellent write-up however regarding the shields on an SD...it's one thing to absorb / redirect blaster fire or even a kamikaze...but I imagine the sheer mass of one SD ramming into another is something entirely different.

Or to put it in this way - the amount of power needed to absorb or reflect a blaster / suicide fighter is a couple order of magnitudes lower than hitting an object with the same relative mass as you. Think of a fly physically hitting a baseball and then a baseball hitting a baseball.

Agreed on the dish point. Only thing I can think of is it got moved / knocked out of alignment during the fighting...but that's pretty thin.

Return to “General Discussion”