Northern& Black Sea Fleet Air Commands

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

wga8888

Northern& Black Sea Fleet Air Commands

Post by wga8888 »

Are these air commands and air bases useful? Which units will they provide ground support for? Should they be disbanded as the Soviets start with an excess of air bases?
Bill Thomson
wga8888@icloud.com
Discord: wga8888 #7339
817-501-2978 CST [-6 GMT]
Telemecus

RE: Northern& Black Sea Fleet Air Commands

Post by Telemecus »

As useful as any others. VVS/Osnaz and PVO airbases have distinct uses, and SAD auto-disband, but other than that being in a fleet air command provides no distinct characteristics to an airbase.They provide ground support to units in the same front, and can be used for all other missions like any other airbase. Similarly for the air commands.

There are many posts recomending disbanding airbases to use the manpower elsewhere/save on their supply etc. Certainly it seems the soviets start the 41 campaign with too many airbases and if you need more later they are created for you for free. But there is no reason to priortise disbanding fleet airbases, and good reasons to keep the VVS ones.

Air commands, in my experience, make a real difference to number of planes damaged/repaired if they are on the same hex as the airbase. If you disband them you can never get them back. You can minimise their cost be reducing their ToE and not moving them until you need them, or disband them for the manpower for something better according to your preference.
Wargamers Discord https://discord.gg/U6DcDxT
wga8888

Post by wga8888 »

Waht is the specific use of PVO airbases? I am assuming a fighters only base to intercept German missions, my assumption based on the name. I did a search through the rules and nothing useful came up.
Bill Thomson
wga8888@icloud.com
Telemecus

Post by Telemecus »

Exactly. I have not experienced it myself, but PVO are only supposed to do interception with fighters. So if that is all you want an airgroup to do, a sort of localised air doctrine, you need a PVO airbase. If you do a search on these forums you should find it mentioned. There is some debate on whether that is true for manual missions, staging bases etc. Also I think, like VVS, they cannot get Guards status.
56ajax

Post by 56ajax »

Specific use of PVO, none from what I remember. Historically they may have been used for intercept but I dont think there is any restriction in the game.
Molotov : This we did not deserve.

Foch : This is not peace. This is a 20 year armistice.

C'est la guerre aérienne
wga8888

Post by wga8888 »

I have found that PVO bases with fighter and bombers, the bombers will not go on a bombing mission if manually selected. On this assumption, I moved all the bombers out of PVO bases. But you know what they say about assumptions. I will have to look up what a Oznaz base is suppose to do.
Bill Thomson
wga8888@icloud.com
Sardaukar

Post by Sardaukar »

ORIGINAL: wga

I have found that PVO bases with fighter and bombers, the bombers will not go on a bombing mission if manually selected. On this assumption, I moved all the bombers out of PVO bases. But you know what they say about assumptions. I will have to look up what a Oznaz base is suppose to do.

Isn't Oznaz base for partisan support? I don't know what else they can do.
"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

821Bobo

Post by 821Bobo »

Isn't Oznaz base for partisan support? I don't know what else they can do.

I am using it for large scale resupply operation (eg if Lenigrad is isolated etc.)
Telemecus

Post by Telemecus »

As far as I know OSNAZ has the same game characteristics as VVS. Again I think it is not documented in the manual but is in these forums. I have not game tested it myself.
wga8888

Post by wga8888 »

OSNAZ is Special Use Air Group, no further explanation in the manual. Like many things, it is likely a historical name; if any special capabilities exist, we have to figure it out ourselves.
Bill Thomson
wga8888@icloud.com
Stelteck

Post by Stelteck »

So use Oznaz in a special way !!! [:D]

In my game it is my base with a lot of transport for air ressuply.
Brakes are for cowards !!
Telemecus

Post by Telemecus »

ORIGINAL: wga

if any special capabilities exist, we have to figure it out ourselves.

But you can use the others who already figured out it is like VVS?

Return to “The War Room”