Netplay 2.3.6 - Synchronization - Global War - Allies BP set to Zero

Please post only issues involving NetPlay here. All other issues should go in the main Tech Support sub-forum.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

davidachamberlain

Netplay 2.3.6 - Synchronization - Global War - Allies BP set to Zero

Post by davidachamberlain »

This is similar to the issue that Peter (not Paul) mentioned, however it is with Global War.

After Return to Base and Final Production Planning (where BPs were correct), the Production phase shows all Allied Major Powers have ZERO Build Points.

I have included the current save along with the Return to Base.

I could not find the matching Axis player files.

** ADDED 3-04-2017
** Steve, I suggest that you might want to consider making the Production Planning and Production phases synchronous (or modal) like the normal movement and combat phases to avoid this situation. Then the incremental updates for each side should prevent this from happening.
** Longer term the parallelism is useful, but the whole management of synchronization will need to be thoroughly considered - especially as the number of players increases.

*** Addition 3-10-2017
*** One other observation. I went back through my earlier NP game with 2.2.8 and there was no issue there with the BPs, but it was Barbarossa rather than Global War.
*** I wonder what changed in that regard between 2.2.8 and 2.3.6

Dave
davidachamberlain

RE: Netplay 2.3.6 - Synchronization - Global War - Allies BP set to Zero

Attachment.

Both Autosave of Return to Base (with Allies having BP) and Production (ZERO BP for Allies).

Dave
Attachments
GlobalWar.zip
(3.1 MiB) Downloaded 4 times
gw15

Post by gw15 »

Yes, Peter and I have the same problem.
davidachamberlain

Yes, I know. Hopefully, with knowing that it affects Global War in addition to Barbarossa and having files for both, that will help Steve to deal with it.

I think it has something to do with parallel activities going on during the phases leading up to Production that allowed the Axis data to override the Allies data.

It will probably be part of a bigger concern once the game goes forward to allowing more than 2 players since there will be synchronization of every phase.

Dave
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

Don't know about others, but the Axis player in my case set some defaults in Preliminary Production planning and was doing things after the corresponding point in time when the Allies would have done those things (i.e. clicking through the various phases to advance toward production). I believe the Allied player did not make any changes to the MWiF Preliminary Production planning for the Russians (the only Allied power in our case).

...if that helps...
Paul
gw15

Post by gw15 »

Since I'm playing the Axis I did finish preliminary production faster but I waited until the Allies finished before I okayed the last country to continue.
Paul - are you saying the Axis should wait or the Allies to finish preliminary production first?
davidachamberlain

ORIGINAL: bommerrang

Since I'm playing the Axis I did finish preliminary production faster but I waited until the Allies finished before I okayed the last country to continue.
Paul - are you saying the Axis should wait or the Allies to finish preliminary production first?
I think it is more complicated than that.

I tried a few different approaches. Initially, we just did all of these in parallel. Subsequently, we tried both with Allies and then with Axis to click through all of the steps in both Prelim and Final. All met with the same result.

There is not apparently a consistent synchronization, but I think there is something more missing. I think it is probably necessary for there to be a similar workflow for each major power to gradually add in the data. We checked at each stage and everything was visible to both sides up until Production. At that point, all of the Allies were zero.

It was just at the Production step.

Our work around was to update the file to Stand Alone and then finish Production and reset back to Netplay. That works consistently, but it is a bit of a hack. It required re-saving the file after it was restored.

Dave
gw15

Post by gw15 »

Wow, how did you "update" to stand alone and then "reset" to netplay?
If you can do that then other ways to play this game come to mind...
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

Don and I tested Barb again today and when JA ended we encountered this same problem with Russian BPs equal to zero.

We had hit it before in the MJ turn when the Germans did some manual changes and were able to get past it by reloading from End of Action and not doing changes, just accepting what MWiF recommended (which wasn't right but the errors cancelled out).

This time we tried several different combinations - it started with manual changes (due again to an error - the German CPs in the Baltic had been massacred and yet all three Swedish resources were being produced), then we tried that over again, then we tried going from End of Action without any production changes again, then we tried with that and without the Germans scrapping a unit (since they had done no scrapping in MJ, although the USSR did some both turns). Anyway, no matter what we tried it didn't correct the USSR BPs.

Axis End of Action game file attached, just make the turn end, and you should be able to recreate this bug. We can't continue testing this scenario until this bug is fixed.
Attachments
NPEndO..ionGe.zip
(1.54 MiB) Downloaded 4 times
Paul
davidachamberlain

You can use a simple text editor (Wordpad) and open the GAM file.
Make sure that you copy your file to a new name to keep the original version unchanged.

The first line identifies the version (2.3.6) and the mode (2 for Netplay)
When you change the (last digit) 2 to a 0, it will be Stand Alone.

After you restore it, save it AGAIN, before doing anything with it. It cleans things up.

After you are done with Production, reverse the process.

I am not entirely sure if it might cause any strange behavior, but it has worked so far.

Dave
Timian

Post by Timian »

Sorry / Forgot to post this last night / Here is the Russian End Action Save that goes with Paul's NetPlay "Bug Report" 9:03:18 PM (GMT) on 3 March (and the associated German End of Action Save). Thanks, Don.
Attachments
NPEndO..nUSSR.zip
(1.54 MiB) Downloaded 4 times
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

Steve had mentioned the workaround for this problem is to resume the game from the AutoSave - Scrap Units phase. Don and I tried that today, using 2.4.1 (playing Barb) and it worked!

We played a full turn and got to production and again Allied BPs got zeroed. I expect when we next play, we'll be able to resume successfully doing the same as today.

So the problem still exists in 2.4.1, but the workaround is simple.
Paul
AndreasI

Post by AndreasI »

I'm not sure how much info has been added in different threads. However, me and a friend started a Global War and got to the production phase where allies BP were set to 0, but the allies were not the only ones to be affected. It seems as if the allies had doubled amounts of factories (US 80, CW 44 and so on) and there were production points listed but werent allowed to build anything in the build phase.

On the Axis side (I didn't go inte IT/JA in detait but it seems like all the trade resourced for Germany for some reason were set to idle resulting in 9 build points instead of 14 and no saved oil. Not at the gaming computer right now so can't upload game save, just wanted to add the info as it seems that axis production is correct for other people in this thread, though I might be wrong about that.
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

There were 3 problems with build points in the Production phase for NetPlay games. After a week+ of work I finally fixed the last one.

1 - Zero production points (that was caused by my failed attempts to fix problem #3. I simply undid some code changes I had made.

2 - Production builds that required the program to create new units caused major problems. The 5 unit types requiring new units are: convoys, pilots, forts, factories, and offensive chits.

3 - On the Axis computer, no major powers received resources from neutral major powers (e.g., Turkey, Venezuela).

I'll post a Hot Patch that has the corrections for these soon, but I want to look at the other recently reported bugs in Tech Support. While I had my head down looking into the 3 above Production bugs, other bugs have been reported that I haven't looked at at all.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

On Sunday, Don and I also encountered some strange synchronization issues within the Pools Form. It's hard to know if this is just a cosmetic problem or if it's a problem waiting to happen. In this first screen shot we see the German Reserve Pool.

Attachments
outtasync.jpg
outtasync.jpg (304.64 KiB) Viewed 207 times
Paul
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

But on the Russian PC, the Ju88A1 is shown as a reinforcement for JA42! (which is impossible as we are in SO41 and had it been built last turn or this turn it would not be arriving in JA42).

I recall now that plane showed up incorrectly as a possible reinforcement for Germany in JA41 (it did start the game in the reserve pool), because there was a phantom extra German pilot. Per the scenario set-up, Germany received and placed a pilot and an ATR in JA41 and so the Ju88A1 went back to the reserve pool on the German PC but somehow it appears to have ended up on the Russian PC as being bumped ahead one year.

The original problem with the phantom pilot was reported here: tm.asp?m=4240364
in post #6.

Attachments
Screenshot..14.43.33.jpg
Screenshot..14.43.33.jpg (115.08 KiB) Viewed 207 times
Paul
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

Also, Germany built an O-chit in MJ41 and another in JA41. I was very pleased to see two of them arriving in JF42 when I checked the Pools Form. I thought: "I don't recall an O-chit arriving for Germany in JF42 in the scenario set-up, but I guess one was scheduled - oh goody!" But then I checked the scenario book and saw that was a pipe dream and I should only be receiving one - the one I built.

BTW both German and Russian PCs agree on one arriving in ND41 (which is the one I built in MJ41).

Attachments
outtasync2.jpg
outtasync2.jpg (199.65 KiB) Viewed 207 times
Paul
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

As you can see below, the Russian PC has the correct JF41 pool information, unlike the German PC.

Attachments
Screenshot..16.21.47.jpg
Screenshot..16.21.47.jpg (115.01 KiB) Viewed 207 times
Paul
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

Paul & Don,

This appears to be the problem I fixed with building newly created units (pilots, forts, convoys, etc.)

My next Hot Patch will prevent this from happening - but you will need to edit the game to straighten out previous builds.
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.
davidachamberlain

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

There were 3 problems with build points in the Production phase for NetPlay games. After a week+ of work I finally fixed the last one.

1 - Zero production points (that was caused by my failed attempts to fix problem #3. I simply undid some code changes I had made.

I'll post a Hot Patch that has the corrections for these soon, but I want to look at the other recently reported bugs in Tech Support. While I had my head down looking into the 3 above Production bugs, other bugs have been reported that I haven't looked at at all.

Steve, the zero builds (for Allies) problem is still occuring after the most recent update (2.4.2) (I don't think you intended to resolve this yet). I wanted you to be aware that your work around with the "Scrap Destroyed" autosave does not exactly work. We were able to get it to work after trying (separately) both the Axis and Allies files. The Allies file was wrong, but the Axis file was correct. That allowed us to continue into Production. Not sure if that helps with the troubleshooting, but at least provides an interim workaround.

Dave

Return to “NetPlay Tech Support”