Solo Naval Play

Please post here for questions and discussion about modding for Strategic Command.
Rand6897

Solo Naval Play

Post by Rand6897 »

I'm working on a mod, playing both sides to control spending and other aspects. This is what I came up with to help with the naval aspects of the game (Provided I uploaded this correctly, my dog is better on this machine than I).

Any other ideas are much appreciated.

Attachments
00001.gif
00001.gif (94.16 KiB) Viewed 97 times
Rand6897

RE: Solo Naval Play

Post by Rand6897 »

Where is that dog?
BillRunacre

Post by BillRunacre »

Sounds interesting, and if I'm not mistaken it looks like using the game and playing it a bit like a boardgame?
Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FurySoftware

We're also on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FurySoftware/
Rand6897

Post by Rand6897 »

Bill,

I haven't played many computer games, I've had this game about a month and it is occupying my all free time.
There really was (still is) a void at this scale for WW2 games. Clash of Arms had "The Struggle For Europe" series by that was about it.

Some years back I was creating a game on this scale using Aide de Camp. Same scale hex but with divisions and corps units. The corps however could be composed of 2-5 divisions, divisions could be placed on the board but were single step units. A corps had steps equal to the number of divisions. In addition, if a corps contained - lets say - three 2-2-4(att/def/move) factor infantry divisions(totaling 6 att/def factors individually), the corps would have a combat factor of 8-9-4. Ground combat could involve the expenditure of movement points to gain a favorable DRM, and combat results could reduce movement points. No overruns but a couple of strong corps attacking a weak counterpart could brushing them aside without a movement penalty.

If I uploaded correctly, the units shown (UK and Poles) have symbols on the right side, these indicate number of steps and if at full strength-green, or reduced,-red. Someday I will get back to it, it would be nice if I could figure out how to use Vassal.

In the design notes I noticed that the game was designed for wide appeal. I think the team involved has accomplished this in an overwhelming fashion. The ability to edit and create mods allows for players to make the game fit their taste.

I'm working on a mod where I want to include manpower. Thought about assigning MP values to units but hated the bookkeeping. So, I increased the unit cost for ground units (not nearly as much for the soviets), added units to the prewar deployment queue (especially for anybody but the soviets), increased combat losses for both the defender and attacker, and increase replacement cost. The German will need to be careful attacking inconsequential units.

For all the positives, the naval aspect of the game in not one of them. Though, again to design goals, may be popular with those a bit less serious. I saw an AAR where basically the entire Royal Navy is on the bottom without a single enemy vessel lost. Crap admiral, go find a pub in the port and stay off the waves.

The rules I posted are an initial attempt to make the naval game more interesting (my script writing abilities are lacking but working on them). I am finding flaws in my system and need to streamline them but I expected that with a first version. They do however make it more difficult to locate and sink the enemy and helps alleviate the boxing in of the enemy (the aborting mission and regular/cruise movement restrictions). My settings are FoW and no naval spotting.

All and all, hats off to the team. A fine product.

Attachments
Screenshot2.jpg
Screenshot2.jpg (942.64 KiB) Viewed 54 times

Return to “Scenario Design and Modding”