How do I transfer SU units to divisions?

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

Hoggorm

How do I transfer SU units to divisions?

Post by Hoggorm »

Hi,

I can't seem to transfer support units to divisions, only Corps HQ.

I'd like to transfer some support units to my motorized and panzer divisions, but they are not an alternative in the list.

How can I do this?
morvael

RE: How do I transfer SU units to divisions?

Post by morvael »

Use ASSIGN button in the divisions.
Hoggorm

Post by Hoggorm »

Yes, but where are those units assigned from?

If I'd like to assign a Howitzer unit currently attached to a Corps HQ, I cannot just press the assign button.
morvael

Post by morvael »

Certain types cannot be assigned. Artillery is one of them. Also, when you select unit type from list, it will be assigned from highest HQ possible.
Hoggorm

Post by Hoggorm »

ORIGINAL: morvael

Certain types cannot be assigned. Artillery is one of them.

I see! Thank you

ORIGINAL: morvael

Also, when you select unit type from list, it will be assigned from highest HQ possible.

Do you mean OKH?

When trying to assign as you mention in your first reply I see a relative short list with Flammpanzer, flak, Jagdpanzer and Pioneer battalions.

When this list is empty because I've assigned them to different divisions - how can I get new ones if you understand my question? I cannot see where I have control of what is in this Assigned list...

The SU available also varies from division to division. One division might have 6 available to choose from, while another one have only three and so on...
morvael

Post by morvael »

Yes, OKH.

If you have one StuG Bn in OKH, Army Group, Army and Corps HQ each, and you are trying to ASSIGN support unit to a division assigned to that Corps HQ using its unit details window, then you'll see that you have 4 StuG Bn available, but the first one will be pulled from OKH, second from Army Group etc. On the other hand if you'll press [X] next to support unit's name, that unit will return to first HQ in chain up (in this case - Corps HQ). On the ASSIGN list you simply see support units available in the chain of command for that unit. You cannot make new units as the Axis. To make a support unit available you have to unassign it from the unit it is assigned to. Open unit details window for that support unit and use HHQ button to reassign it to OKH. That way it will be available for assignment on the next turn, to any unit in your army. You don't have to assign SU to combat units. This can have disadvantages. Sometimes it's better to keep them at Corps HQ, so they would be available to help any combat unit of that corps.
Hoggorm

Post by Hoggorm »

I see!

Thank you very much morvael!

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”