A New Dawn 3 with DCCP Terrain Graphics

Discuss and post your mods and scenarios here for others to download.

Moderator: Vic

GaryChildress

A New Dawn 3 with DCCP Terrain Graphics

Post by GaryChildress »

Been working on a slightly modified New Dawn 3 random template. This new template uses the DCCP terrain graphics and generates random games with those graphics.

Attachments
2.gif
2.gif (363.02 KiB) Viewed 298 times
cpdeyoung

RE: A New Dawn 3 with DCCP Terrain Graphics

Post by cpdeyoung »

Very nice. Map mods always bring something fresh to the game.

Thanks,

Chuck
ArmouredLion

Post by ArmouredLion »

looks great... I agree with cpde that a map does bring something big to a game. For me, it draws me deeper into the illusion and helps me "see it" better. Thanks Gary.
danlongman

Post by danlongman »

That is pretty Gary but I have to say that as a Kanookistani I do
not like my engineers to look like hockey players. Very off putting.
"Patriotism: Your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw
lion_of_judah

Post by lion_of_judah »

Gary
is this ready for download and if so where. Also can the terrain graphics be used in the scenario editor for other scenarios.
Twotribes

Post by Twotribes »

I don't mind graphic mods but don't go out of my way to download them.
Favoritism is alive and well here.
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

ORIGINAL: lion_of_judah

Gary
is this ready for download and if so where. Also can the terrain graphics be used in the scenario editor for other scenarios.

Hi Lion of Judah, almost complete. I've been running a few tests to make sure all the graphic overrides are in the right order. As far as download, it's the terrain from the DCCP, and I'm not sure if I'm allowed to upload it or not. I guess I will need to check with Vic on that, just to make sure I'm not transgressing any copyrights or what not.

If I'm not permitted to upload it, then I'll try to put together some instructions on how to set up the mod with your own copy of the DCCP graphics.
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

ORIGINAL: danlongman

That is pretty Gary but I have to say that as a Kanookistani I do
not like my engineers to look like hockey players. Very off putting.

LOL! Yep. One of the first things I usually do when I start a game is switch the hockey players to NATO counters.
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

Making a few other changes to the New Dawn 3 file. I lowered the cost of supply to 2 production points instead of 3. I think the AI performs a little better with the supply cost lowered. Also added a "Combat Halftrack which is basically a vehicle with the carry capacity of a regular halftrack and the combat ability of an armored car. Also in the process now of adding self propelled artillery. In order to make combat halftracks more appealing I'm eliminating the ability of tanks and other AFVs to carry things.
cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

@Gary,

I have the Decisive Campaign games, and I like your graphics.

I would hope you could make your instructions generic enough to allow me to use them in GD1938 too.

Chuck
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

Thanks, cpdeyoung! It would be a little complicated to use them in a different scenario than the one I'm setting up. You'd need to fiddle around with the overrides to make sure that certain terrains draw over others seamlessly. Or you may be able to simply import the terrain settings from my mod into GD 1938 if GD 1938 uses settings similar to anewdawn3.
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

Bad news, it doesn't use the same template type as the one A New Dawn uses. And that would make it hard to import. One obvious difference is the presence of fields, which are not a landscape type used in GD 1938.
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

ORIGINAL: ernieschwitz

Bad news, it doesn't use the same template type as the one A New Dawn uses. And that would make it hard to import. One obvious difference is the presence of fields, which are not a landscape type used in GD 1938.

Thanks for the update. I figured GD 1938 probably had radically different features. I've got a beta together of my mod and am testing it right now. I'll try to keep everyone updated periodically on how it works out.
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

If anyone wants to help me test this, PM me and I'll be happy to send you files to get started (if you can help me figure out how to get them to you because my email won't handle more than a few megabytes of attachments). Also I haven't put together the "Big" graphics yet for the mod, I'm just using the ones that auto-generate from the normal size. So if anyone wants to help in that department (especially with the NATO counters) it would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

Here are my two added subformation types, Self Propelled Artillery and Combat Half Track.

Attachments
NewSFTs.gif
NewSFTs.gif (83 KiB) Viewed 298 times
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

Woops, my first bug, forgot to adjust the PP cost of SP artillery to something more appropriate.
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

PS. Thank you Iron_duke for coming up with the graphics for the new units (halftrack and SP artillery)! Excellent work!
ernieschwitz

Post by ernieschwitz »

Thanks for the update. I figured GD 1938 probably had radically different features.

Well if you mean by more radical, more advanced, then the answer is no. It is more or less stuck in the old template from AT:WW2, which means it is pretty incompatible with the more advanced stuff Vic has made for terrain in that department. I am sure some kind of "hybrid" could be made, but it would be rather daunting, possibly requiring the remake of the entire map, or the remake of the graphics for the mod. All in all, at the moment, too much hassle for too little.
Creator of High Quality Scenarios for:
  • Advanced Tactics Gold
    DC: Warsaw to Paris
    DC: Community Project.
Try this Global WW2 Scenario: https://www.vrdesigns.net/scenario.php?nr=280
cpdeyoung

Post by cpdeyoung »

@Gary,

In your description of the Combat Halftrack you say "without land capacity". I think I know what you mean, that they cannot carry STFs that normal halftrack can, but "without land capacity" doesn't get that across too well.

Chuck
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

Hi Chuck, actually the land capacity I was referring to was for strategic movement (land, rail and sea). The combat halftracks don't add to your strategic movement capacity like trains, cargo ships, trucks and regular halftracks do but they do carry infantry and would be usable as mechanized infantry. They can also fight with combat characteristics similar to armored cars. I guess I need to word that better. [:o]

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”