AH-Silver Wings II

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario design, art and sound modding and the game editor for WITP Admiral's Edition.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Vipersp

AH-Silver Wings II

Post by Vipersp »

Greetings fellow commanders,

Here is the update for my Mod, Alternate History-Silver Wings II;
Despite I never get any feedback regarding playbility, bugs found or anything IN GAME, I decided to keep working on improvments and hunting for bugs with a very dedicated close friend;

The mod was tunned and we believe the balance is fair enough for both sides;

- New art plane/ships added;
- New Video intro to reflect the mod concept added;
- Revised OOBs;

Any contect of this mod can be used by the community freely;
Players can face the AI but there is no script for it;

Below is the link for the files;
Please back up your original files;

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AtWj9SPAvlghhgdCnnqvqv2G9MVj

"After play some awesome mods like R.A and RHS, just to list some, I finally decided to give my first step into modding AE;
The drive behind this work was the wish to provide the community with something that I hope can bring a lot of fun and an entire new felling and flavor to this awesome game;
So what Silver Wings is??
This mod is a complete overhaul regarding OOB and time frame;
It was designed as an alternate history mod that brings AE into the early cold war era in a world where Japan didn't attack PH on dec 7th 1941 but instead remained neutral after face turmoil at the home front with factions struggling pro and against the pact with Germany and Italy;

The mod covers the period from 1949 to 1956 with reworked air, ground and naval forces to reflect the period;
Balance was the main goal but also playability and historical accuracy when possible;
Since this is an alternate history, players from both sides are not tied with the "things that didn’t happen in RL" way of thinking;
This I believe will bring a lot of freedom regarding tactics and strategies at both sides;

As an alternate history mod, Japanese forces are a mix of late WWII projects, late WW2 units and plane/ship types and Japan self-defense force;
Allied forces followed Korea war OOBs with what was in service through the period 1949-1956;

Japan faced a great turmoil during the late 30s with street fighting, assassinations and plots to overthrow the elected cabinet by army officers and the supporters of the pact with Nazi Germany and Italy opposed by the navy and the pacifists;

After his divine majesty finally supports the later, Japan remained neutral during the second European war but kept close ties with Germany, which never gave up to bring japan into the axis side in attempt to open a second front against soviet union and to seduce japan they shared jet technology and allowed Japanese officers to study German operations in the eastern front;

Silver Wings took its basis from RHS Level II regarding economy and its awesome new features and will require this mod installed to be played, It replaces just art and OOBs;
It will also require the Patch 07 - Unofficial Public Beta - 1126b updated and was designed FOR PBEM ONLY!!

Silver Wings brings a lot of new toys, from Sabres to Migs 15, 17 and 19s and the mighty strategic bombers as the Stratojet and B-52A, Soviet Whiskey class subs, Midway Class CVs for the allies and improved versions of the Kayru and the Fugako strategic bomber.

Since I still do not consider it a finished work all ideas, comments, positive or negative feedbacks and any help mainly regarding art or fixes will be very appreciated;

Silver Wings is allocated in scenario 35 and the Soviets are active but by default must be considered not in war against japan;
I am planning another scenario where they can be considered in war but will require a much stronger Japanese asset at Manchuria;
I guess that due the start date on 49 there is no way to make the Russians not active;

The starting positions and forces deployed are around 90% the same as found in RHS level II;

Features:

AH-Silver Wings was designed after studying other great mods mainly RHS and its unique features and some ideas of my own, most of the air art was created by me after the awesome teachings from Reg as how to mod air planes and some humble attempts with ship art also due the teachings and tips from Big B[&o]

Features Included:

Totally reworked Japanese and Allied order of battle;
French Indochina command with more air and naval assets;
Lots of new toys - New classes of ships and air-frames for both the allies and the Japanese.
US Strategic Bomber Force under the SAC (Strategic Air Command as a new unit)
Japanese and US air forces are depicted as independent commands;
Japanese Strategic Bombing Command as new unit;

Installation

1) Create a fresh and updated install of War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition in its own folder in your Matrix games folder. I recommend renaming this folder to "Silver Wings”. Note that you must update to the newest version of WitP:AE before installing the mod.
2) Download and install RHS Level II.
3) Download and install Patch 07 - Unofficial Public Beta - 1126b
4) Run the installer. Use "Browse" to change the install folder to your Silver Wing folder.
5) The installer just contains and will overwrite the SCENARIO, ART and SOUND folders;
6) You can copy the new game screens located at the " Allied openload" or "Japanese openload" folders according your preferences into the main ART folder;
7) Start the game ALWAYS by the shortcut created at your desktop after install the beta patch;

Recommended Settings:

You can play it as you like;
I can suggest the following:
Reliable USN Torpedoes: ON or OFF ( Due the time frame all USN torpedoes are the MK14)
No Unit Withdrawals: ON
Player Defined Upgrades: ON
Realistic R&D: OFF (Japan has quite few air frame options due "standardization" and of course no historical planes during the period post ww2)
Advanced Weather - ON
Historical 1st turn - OFF

THIS MOD IS DESIGNED ONLY FOR PBEM*****

House Rules:
I personally don’t play with any house rules since I do not like to reenact the war so the players are free to set any they consider appropriated;
I strongly recommend that the allied player DO NOT make use of the soviets at least till late 1955;

Acknowledgements

Without the efforts of the creators of this awesome game and the contributions of this amazing community with all ideas shared in this forum, bug hunters, beta testers and so on this work would not even exist.

My great many thanks to:

Reg who taught me how to mod air-frames, hope my humble work can make you satisfied at least;
Big B who also taught me the basics of modding ships, I still have a lot to improve in this area!
El Cid,whose awesome RHS scenario served as the base for this mod;
John the 3rd, creator of R.A;
Andrew Brown, creator of the extended map;
Gary Childress, whose amazing ship artwork makes an appearance in the mod;
Tom Label for his amazing art and map icon work;
Rick Olszowy, my best friend and honorable allied opponent in years of PBEM;
Paradigmblue, whose Focus Pacifc mod gave me inspiration to include the frenches in my mod;

My Apologizes for any mistakes regarding the text above since Iam not a native english speaker;

Cheers,

Vipersp

Attachments
OpenLoadScreen_1024.jpg
OpenLoadScreen_1024.jpg (236.32 KiB) Viewed 1339 times
Vipersp

RE: New Mod AH-Silver Wings

Post by Vipersp »

Allied screens;

Attachments
UV10242.jpg
UV10242.jpg (201.69 KiB) Viewed 1335 times
Vipersp

Post by Vipersp »

Japanese screens

Attachments
startgame_1024.jpg
startgame_1024.jpg (123.46 KiB) Viewed 1332 times
Vipersp

Post by Vipersp »

Other in game screens

Attachments
planedataA_1024.jpg
planedataA_1024.jpg (170.32 KiB) Viewed 1333 times
Vipersp

Post by Vipersp »

in game screens

Attachments
planedataJ_1024.jpg
planedataJ_1024.jpg (121.52 KiB) Viewed 1332 times
Vipersp

RE: New Mod AH-Silver Wings -

Post by Vipersp »

Vipersp

Post by Vipersp »

Some of the USN planes

Attachments
sample1.jpg
sample1.jpg (75.7 KiB) Viewed 1339 times
Vipersp

Post by Vipersp »

some tops;

Attachments
sample2.jpg
sample2.jpg (54.44 KiB) Viewed 1334 times
John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

Damn. I mean...goodness. Go get 'em Sir!

This is a pretty ambitious project. How long have you been working on it?

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.
paradigmblue

Post by paradigmblue »

Wow. I can't imagine the time you put into this. Looking forward to checking it out.
Vipersp

Post by Vipersp »

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

Damn. I mean...goodness. Go get 'em Sir!

This is a pretty ambitious project. How long have you been working on it?

Hi John, thanks for the encouragment! I have been working on it for almost 6 months;
It is ready for tests and hope people out there help me with bug fixes and ideas to improve it;
There some new features that frankly speaking I have no idea if will work or not but the first reports from my official Beta tester are very positive[:)]

Cheers

ViperSp
Vipersp

Post by Vipersp »

ORIGINAL: paradigmblue

Wow. I can't imagine the time you put into this. Looking forward to checking it out.

Hey paradigmblue, yes six months, the worst was to create the air art from the ground!
Congrats for your great mod too!
RyanCrierie

Post by RyanCrierie »

Highly ambitious.

I actually had my own version of this on paper on my hard drive, centering around 1945-1949 plus a generic RED v BLUE scenario from 1959 where RED is Japan and BLUE is a hypothetical power in the Dutch East Indies Chain and I would have based a lot of the 1959 stuff on actual proposals:

Like in 1954, the SCB proposed to modernize the older 35,000 ton battleships (South Dakotas and North Carolinas), making them fast battleships via removing a turret and adding a gas turbine boost plant to get them up to 31 knots.
Vipersp

Post by Vipersp »

ORIGINAL: RyanCrierie

Highly ambitious.

I actually had my own version of this on paper on my hard drive, centering around 1945-1949 plus a generic RED v BLUE scenario from 1959 where RED is Japan and BLUE is a hypothetical power in the Dutch East Indies Chain and I would have based a lot of the 1959 stuff on actual proposals:

Like in 1954, the SCB proposed to modernize the older 35,000 ton battleships (South Dakotas and North Carolinas), making them fast battleships via removing a turret and adding a gas turbine boost plant to get them up to 31 knots.

Hi Ryan,

Wow that is great..I was wondering if I was the only crazy guy considering a mod around this time frame;
The major difficulty was in fact how to create a viable and not too fantasy biased Japanese OOB for this period so a lot of brainstorm took place before starting to deal with this;
Ships indeed are the major area for improvment here;
I simply removed all classes there were no longer in service around 1945/46 and replaced by the active ones around 49 for the allies;
Of course for Japan I had to just deal with their starting dates fitting into the new time frame;
Please feel free to use any part of this work into ur mod if you want;
I welcome anyone here that have ideas around this period to use my work as they wish[;)]
Just give the credits[;)]
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

How do you handle NATO? It was an artifact of the European war, and every nation would be obligated to help the US.

How do you handle the MASSIVE US economy coming out of WWII, versus Japan's?

How do you handle the presence of hydrogen bombs in the hands of the US alone?
The Moose
BillBrown

Post by BillBrown »

If Japan stays neutral, does the USA even enter WW2? If not, there would be no major building programs at all.
Vipersp

Post by Vipersp »

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

How do you handle NATO? It was an artifact of the European war, and every nation would be obligated to help the US.

Hi Bulwinkle;

BillBrown gave the the right answer already, since in my AH view with Japan remaining neutral, USA never engaged in the war in europe;
The scenario history depicts a quick german victory in the west and a hell of a war of attriction in the east against the soviets and thats why Germany was up to seduce Japan with technology to enable the militarist party to increase the pressure over the emperor and the pacifists to ally themselves with Germany, which in the mod happened in 1947 and placed Japan into the road of war in 1949;
So in such way NATO never existed, the atomic race was delayed till late 55 with both Japan and US/Brits yet researching the A bomb;
This is the history background for this mod;
In game terms I basically shiffted everything from 41-46 into 49-56, of course upgrading land, air and naval forces to their historical TO&E when possible;
I admit I am still a rookie regarding modding AE so I hope more experinced players can contribute with ideas or bug reports in order I can improve this one [:)]
Vipersp

Post by Vipersp »

ORIGINAL: BillBrown

If Japan stays neutral, does the USA even enter WW2? If not, there would be no major building programs at all.

That's the idea![&o]
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: BillBrown

I think the US does enter the ETO. But if we didn't, and never fought Japan, most of the naval OOB this mod uses for the 1950s would never have existed. As well, every defense building decision made after the Greek civil war was due to the Cold War. If the USSR is still an ally in this mod due to engine restrictions . . .

I'm not saying this isn't a great effort to stretch the engine and produce a lot of beautiful art and new spec packages. But it's a WWII game. Without the geopolitical realities of the PTO it seems more like a bash-a-thon with new platforms.

Just my opinion.
The Moose
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: Vipersp

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

Hi Bulwinkle;

BillBrown gave the the right answer already, since in my AH view with Japan remaining neutral, USA never engaged in the war in europe;
The scenario history depicts a quick german victory in the west and a hell of a war of attriction in the east against the soviets and thats why Germany was up to seduce Japan with technology to enable the militarist party to increase the pressure over the emperor and the pacifists to ally themselves with Germany, which in the mod happened in 1947 and placed Japan into the road of war in 1949;
So in such way NATO never existed, the atomic race was delayed till late 55 with both Japan and US/Brits yet researching the A bomb;
This is the history background for this mod;
In game terms I basically shiffted everything from 41-46 into 49-56, of course upgrading land, air and naval forces to their historical TO&E when possible;
I admit I am still a rookie regarding modding AE so I hope more experinced players can contribute with ideas or bug reports in order I can improve this one [:)]

If the Nazis had won in the West there is no way the US sits still. If we had, there's no way the USSR survives, and then Hitler doesn't need Japan for anything at all. In fact, he probably acts to eject Japan from Asia and cripples them economically. The Axis was a useful artifice for Hitler, until it wasn't.

My major point though is that without the PTO 1941-45, the USN doesn't have the OOB you want to use in 1949-155. No Fletchers, no Essexes, no Balaos. No B-29s. Etc., etc. And from a standing start the USA could still massively out-produce Japan.
The Moose

Return to “Scenario Design and Modding”