Pop Up disappearing behind main form

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

warspite1

Pop Up disappearing behind main form

Post by warspite1 »

This old chestnut has risen its incredibly ugly head for the first time in ages last night. Happened again this morning.

In trying to clear it I seem to have rolled up the air to air combat screen so that it has disappeared completely. Any ideas how to get it back please?
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Orm

RE: Pop Up disappearing behind main form

Post by Orm »

I have found that this bug so far has happened to me if I have previously minimized MWIF.

So if I avoid minimizing MWIF I manage to avoid much trouble.
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
gw15

Post by gw15 »

Steve mentioned to me that maybe creating a new SLY file. If you get the screen up with the form open then save a new screen setup.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: bommerrang

Steve mentioned to me that maybe creating a new SLY file. If you get the screen up with the form open then save a new screen setup.
warspite1

Thanks - I'm seeing a lot of words there, but all I'm reading is:

blahblahblahblahblah.... [:D]

Or in other words, I'm afraid I don't know what that means from a practical perspective [&:] [;)]

I never minimise anything in MWIF - although of course other are using the file so maybe that is happening elsewhere. Regardless of the reason, would you mind putting that in language a luddite can understand please? What am I saving and to where. Many thanks.

davidachamberlain

Post by davidachamberlain »

ORIGINAL: Orm

I have found that this bug so far has happened to me if I have previously minimized MWIF.

I would go FURTHER to suggest that you NEVER click on the minimize button AT ALL without SAVE first.

I have encounter this at several different times ranging from setup to many different phases and the outcome is often that MWIF simply crashes when clicking on the minimize button.

Scary.

Dave
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

I've encountered situations where the main form was "looking" rolled-up. Clicking the roll-up button did nothing to unroll it. But I could click at the bottom of the rolled up bar that was left, keep the mouse button pressed, and resize it back to normal size, just like you'd vertically resize a window that is not taking up the full screen.

Maybe that's the case here.

Paul
gw15

Post by gw15 »

The little box to the right of the box with all of the commands. It's labeled SL. When you set the screens up like you want you right click
on the colored area of the box and save your screen layout. You can have multiple screen layouts and they all are listed there.
All I'm saying is get the forms and screens to display like you want and SAVE a new screen layout. Right-click is your friend.
It should be all explained in the manual.
I messed up and called is an SLY file because when you look in the MWIF folders the file is an SLY file. But the box on your screen
is labeled SL.

Paul - you are better at this than me in explaining this.
ORIGINAL: warspite1

ORIGINAL: bommerrang

warspite1

Thanks - I'm seeing a lot of words there, but all I'm reading is:

blahblahblahblahblah.... [:D]

Or in other words, I'm afraid I don't know what that means from a practical perspective [&:] [;)]

I never minimise anything in MWIF - although of course other are using the file so maybe that is happening elsewhere. Regardless of the reason, would you mind putting that in language a luddite can understand please? What am I saving and to where. Many thanks.
Joseignacio

Post by Joseignacio »

Bommerrang, I have also experienced this issue and I solved it through connecting a second screen IIRW.

Sometimes I thoght the game simply had hanged. I guess many of the "bugs" reported like "hanged" or "not being able to advance" from a certain phase are due to not seeing that there is an "invisible" form where you have to select something, like a plane to RTB or similar or any Y/N question which is waiting for your action.

I think your solution is a good one. I tried it once but it didn't work, but I suspect it was due to me not doing the SLY right or something.
Joseignacio

Post by Joseignacio »

Like in this one

tm.asp?m=4229766
gw15

Post by gw15 »

Yes. I also agree many of the frozen game problems could be the form hidden behind the others or in my case (2 monitors) completely off the screen.
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

There are a lot of possibilities to get forms visible on top.

This is the list of possibilities which one can use (but they don't work everytime), when a form isn't visible. It's in the order I use when a form isn't visible on top:

Roll up the form blocking the view.
Press F10 and close the form
Go to another program in windows which is currently running and go back to MWIF, using the windows task bar
Press <ALT>F4 at the same time when running MWIF.
Open the task manager in windows and restore the screen.
Minimise MWIF and maximize MWIF again.

And if that doesn't do the trick, I'm out of options. Anyone with another solution to this problem which I haven't mentioned here? Please add...

Peter
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

I usually try your third one by ALT-TABing through the active programs and then back to MWiF. There are still reports of MadExcepts when minimising MWiF when other programs are active, so that would definitely be a last resort.

Also helpful is to have two screens so you can spread things out more. And/or at least be sure to have a small horizontal space under the main menu with nothing defined to be there in your screen layout. That spot is where the top edge of many forms like Weather and DoW and Action Limits will show up.

I still think a potential programming work around (if possible) would be to have the forms (especially the Air Combat forms) appear on the screen offset a little bit from one another. That way you might see an edge of the offending form and be able to click on it (and drag it, if need be) to bring it to the foreground. Another idea - there is a results form in air combat that is often reported as the villain. Why not make that form larger than the one it seems often it must be hiding behind.
Paul
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

I tried moving the screen - thinking that the offending screen would always pop up in the same place - and so no problem. But it actually moved with the main screen and so remained behind wherever it was.

paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

I guess that's because it is a daughter form of the form it's hiding behind.
Paul
GJK

Post by GJK »

This issue is annoying as f*** and is the reason why I've never really played this thing. I thought maybe it was because I was using duel monitors. I've played around with the "use only primary monitor" checkbox but that doesn't seem to do anything. The game definitely doesn't lock up- it is awaiting user input and it disables everything else; I can't scroll the map, I can't click on anything. *Sometimes* (< 50%) alt-F4 let's me move on. Nothing else does. This is the case of a very poorly coded UI from what I can tell. I think what this needs is something like what VASSAL does- give the option of "Use combined windows" in a checkbox so that either everything is contained within a single window or you split windows off (as it works now). If the split windows "feature" is busted, I'd just use the combined window even though that bulky control panel blocks a good portion of the map. Really hoping that something can be fixed when it comes to this - I've had to ctrl-alt-del every tutorial/game that I've attempted because I get "stuck".
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer
paulderynck

Post by paulderynck »

It must depend on the SLY file as to why several of us here are saying we experience far less problems with two monitors and others are saying the opposite.

Can you post the SLY file you use with two monitors?
Paul
GJK

Post by GJK »

Hi Paul, Yes, see attached. Thanks.
Attachments
GJK.zip
(345 Bytes) Downloaded 5 times
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer
Centuur

Post by Centuur »

Personally, I think Steve has to put this problem somewhere on top of the bug fixing list. It's a real nuisance at times. Thing is: if this happens during a large air-to-air combat and you can't do anything anymore, you have to do the whole thing a second time.

We need a solution for this problem. It has been around for far too long, IMHO.
Peter
Joseignacio

Post by Joseignacio »

Well, the roll up solution does not work for me usually most of the times. It's not that the form is hidden but it is set to dislay out of my computer screen.

The others probably work, I have used the "Go to another program in windows which is currently running and go back to MWIF, using the windows task bar " out of despair and it worked.

Just this should have some more publicity (like at least a "sticky" in the Fórum, till it's solved. Even I, who usually visit the fórum, cannot follow all the threads, and what to betatesters seem to be widely known for users of my profile or less used to visiting the site how to face this and let them know as well that it may look like the game is stalled.

It's not beautiful to have to acknowledge this but it's much worse that people get angry because of bugs that stop the game definitively,
Shannon V. OKeets

Post by Shannon V. OKeets »

ORIGINAL: davidachamberlain

ORIGINAL: Orm

I would go FURTHER to suggest that you NEVER click on the minimize button AT ALL without SAVE first.

I have encounter this at several different times ranging from setup to many different phases and the outcome is often that MWIF simply crashes when clicking on the minimize button.

Scary.

Dave
Yes.[:(]

The code that is causing the problem is in Theme Engine, which was a purchased product. It is no longer available. I have the source code for it, but that code is a rat's nest of interconnected and cross-calling modules which also uses a lot of special Delphi 'features'. I never understand why programmers feel compelled to try to include all the different unique ways to have a program accomplish something. I cut my teeth on Fortran back in the late 1960's and that was capable of doing almost all the stuff that the modern languages can. Keeping it simple is CRUCIAL for good programming practices.

Anyway, I have looked into fixing that bug 3 different times but after spending 3+ days trying to figure out what Theme Engine + MS Windows routines are doing/trying to do[:@], I've always moved on to more important bugs.[8|]
Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

Return to “Tech Support”