Why can't someone make a New Moo

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

ezzler

Why can't someone make a New Moo

Post by ezzler »

The reviews for the version of Master of Orion are woeful.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/29805 ... views_hash

The early reviews, players with a few hours, are positive. The later reviews harp on about poor AI. Poor design choices. poor combat. This was obvious once the first few videos came out of early access. This was another designer attempting to make their own version of MOO.

well designers. here's the thing. No one wants YOUR version of Moo 1 or 2.
Moo3 already proved that. proved it so well that it became an object lesson in the gaming industry for how to really, really mess up.

How hard can it be to just make the game again? With a modern graphic and UI. Some new ship designs. Some new tech. New planet options, asteroids, aliens..whatever.. Make the colonising a bit tougher if you must. But essentially, just stop messing around and make the same damn game.

Qwixt

RE: Why can't someone make a New Moo

Post by Qwixt »

With all remakes, if they just give you a graphical upgrade and everything else is the same, then people complain. If they change one thing, people complain. Nostalgia is a killer. Those old games were not perfect either.

So my advice is, if you want to play Moo or Moo 2, then play it. It still works with DOSBOX.
wings7

Post by wings7 »

ORIGINAL: Qwixt

With all remakes, if they just give you a graphical upgrade and everything else is the same, then people complain. If they change one thing, people complain. Nostalgia is a killer. Those old games were not perfect either.

So my advice is, if you want to play Moo or Moo 2, then play it. It still works with DOSBOX.

+1 - Hopefully the next version will be better...
Please come and join and befriend me at the great Steam portal! There are quite a few Matrix/Slitherine players on Steam! My member page: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197988402427
DonCzirr

Post by DonCzirr »

Another + 1

I play the GOG version which is not bad. Crashes fairly often so you just need to save more frequently.

But I too have hoped for such things as ezz posted - my main wish for a remake would be to expand the map area for tactical combat ....

Ezz - you may want to head over to spacesector.com - they have something called Project Space Sector which may come a lot closer to what true MOO fans want ...

Man schlägt jemanden mit der Faust und nicht mit gespreizten Fingern !

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100032812112896
ezzler

Post by ezzler »

i have moo 1 and 2 .
Have had them for years.

Still prefer original Moo2 to most other 4x4s. Despite its ancient origins its still a good game.

People complain about remakes not just because they don't look right. But because they don't play right.
ezzler

Post by ezzler »

"Is the SPIRITUAL SUCCESSOR to Moo2" on the front of the webpage made me cringe.

However ...

"Don’t you worry, the tactical combat is turn-based, and we addressed the issues you raise about the micro hell in our design.

If you liked MoO2’s combat system, then you’re gonna love this! :)

Again, our goal is to capture the feel of Master of Orion 2 and still manage to offer something new, never sacrificing what made MoO2 special in the first place."

..cheered me up.
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

ORIGINAL: ezz

People complain about remakes not just because they don't look right. But because they don't play right.
They don't seem to complain about Panzer Corps, which is remake of Panzer General.

[edit]
And THAT + nostalgia are problems with remakes. Take XCOM: Enemy Unknown. Bloody good game, but advertised as remake of X-COM (UFO Defense) series, down to similarity of the title, is luggage which drags the game down. But for some reason Panzer Corps, SPWAW, and (Win)SPWW2 don't suffer as much from this syndrome...
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
Zorch

Post by Zorch »

ORIGINAL: ezz

i have moo 1 and 2 .
Have had them for years.

Still prefer original Moo2 to most other 4x4s. Despite its ancient origins its still a good game.

+1
Greybriar

Post by Greybriar »

I believe the trendy word is "reimagining" these days, is it not? They didn't do any better with the latest Master of Orion than the many attempts to make a "spiritual successor" for Master of Magic.

And isn't Panzer Corps a clone rather than a remake of Panzer General?

But I suppose it's all a matter of semantics.
This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee
Jim D Burns

Post by Jim D Burns »

I know a lot of people slam the game because of the multiplayer semi-DRM on a GoG title. But if you are like me and only play it single player, this title is a pretty accurate recreation of the original MOO.

Norton allows me to permanently block the attempted communication with a server at game launch so no worries about them spying on my PC. In fact many games today try and contact servers at launch including a lot of Matrix titles (Norton blocks them all), so I'm not sure why this title gets so much hate about it compared to others. I guess the fact multiplayer is pretty much dead unless you allow them to spy is at the core of the issue.

Jim

https://www.gog.com/game/master_of_orion
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

ORIGINAL: Jim D Burns

Norton allows me to permanently block the attempted communication with a server at game launch so no worries about them spying on my PC.
What details do they spy anyway?
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
LarryP

Post by LarryP »

I have the newest version of MoO and it is boring. It's just empty. I have all the versions and they are all better than the latest as far as game play, except for MoO3 maybe. It's a weird one.

They went overboard on the audio and visuals compared to game play.
Qwixt

Post by Qwixt »

ORIGINAL: LarryP

I have the newest version of MoO and it is boring. It's just empty. I have all the versions and they are all better than the latest as far as game play, except for MoO3 maybe. It's a weird one.

They went overboard on the audio and visuals compared to game play.

Moo3 is like Fallout 3 where you ask the devs, "Have you played the previous games?"
Zorch

Post by Zorch »

Armada 2526 is the closest thing to MoO that I know of.
LarryP

Post by LarryP »

I've got Armada and I don't really like it. It's kind of a weird acting game and not real easy to understand. I'm just an idiot though. [;)]
ezzler

Post by ezzler »

I don't like it either. REALLY didn't like it.
Gave it away soon after purchase.

Polaris Sector had promise. But it misses.
LarryP

Post by LarryP »

Do you like Stellaris? I do but the help wiki inside the game won't work for me. I saw in their forums that others had the same issue and they have not fixed it yet. Probably won't either.
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

LarryP is accurate about the latest MOO. It's not a horrible game, just "streamlined." I've had a bit of fun with Stardrive II despite the scathing reviews.

Stellaris is good and will be awesome one day, plus we have the Distant Worlds family of games.
ezzler

Post by ezzler »

I have ordered Cd because it was 1/2 steam price. But am now hoping I can get the star trek mod to work. It seems pretty good.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/0 ... izons-mod/
LarryP

Post by LarryP »

I've read this New Horizons mod is very good.

Return to “General Discussion”