TOP SECRET ORM + WARSPITE ONLY (Reverse AAR)

Post descriptions of your brilliant successes and unfortunate demises.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Courtenay

RE: TOP SECRET ORM + WARSPITE ONLY (Reverse AAR)

Post by Courtenay »

The reasons to make the second loss a 7 point INF instead of 5 point MOT is that the INF is cheaper to replace, and the MOT might be needed to take the first loss on some later blitz attack, in addition to the fact that the attack will be very slightly stronger with the 7 point unit attacking.
I thought I knew how to play this game....
brian brian

Post by brian brian »

If you have an extra MIL or division able to move to Rotterdam, you could do a classic 'soak-off' attack (suicide) on Antwerp to keep the ART from supporting Brussels. Maybe with your prelim odds calculation, you've already figured that...
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Courtenay

The reasons to make the second loss a 7 point INF instead of 5 point MOT is that the INF is cheaper to replace, and the MOT might be needed to take the first loss on some later blitz attack, in addition to the fact that the attack will be very slightly stronger with the 7 point unit attacking.
warspite1

Well if the 5-4 was a MOT and not an INF that might be the case. However the 5-4 is an INF [;)]
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: brian brian

If you have an extra MIL or division able to move to Rotterdam, you could do a classic 'soak-off' attack (suicide) on Antwerp to keep the ART from supporting Brussels. Maybe with your prelim odds calculation, you've already figured that...
warspite1

I have yet to throw above a 5 in Land Combat - my last 5 throws have been 22232. There is a 40% chance of losing two units (even with a +2). I can safely say I have not given that attack a moment's consideration [:D]

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

So I could get the following line up

Rotterdam - 6-3 INF, 1-5 MOT
Hex SE - 4-2 ART, 7-2 MIL, 8-4 MOT
Liege - 1-4 ENG, 9-4 INF, 7-4 INF (or 8-5 ARM)*
Hex SW - 3-3 ART (or 3-3 AA)**, 8-6 MECH***, 7-4 INF

*I was thinking remove the ARM for cheaper reorganisation?

**A good unit to lose but if it provides additional protection against their bombers AND can be used in land combat, then probably worth it.

***I wanted a MECH SW of Brussels in case of a counter attack.

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

As for Tunis, I'd leave it until the TRS have been committed.

The ATR of the MTN is risky - the CW can get two fighters to our one. One lucky hit and the ATR and MTN die.... I would advise against.

I think the NAV should be on hand for the Italian Coast.

All very boring and defensive I know, but I have no confidence in anything at the moment.....

Orm

Post by Orm »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

**A good unit to lose but if it provides additional protection against their bombers AND can be used in land combat, then probably worth it.

A couple of ponderings.

1) The 3-3 AA is one of the best units when it comes to attacking armour and it is not all that cheap to build so I think it is a bad lose unit.

2) I do not think armour is more expensive to reorganize. We should be playing without the variable reorganization option, but I am not able, at the moment, to check if that is actually the case.

3) If you can get the 7-2 MIL into the attack then that is good. It is a perfect loss unit. Both good, cheap, and fast to rebuild.
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
Orm

Post by Orm »

We play with the 1d10 table so there will never be a forced loss on a blitz attack.
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
Orm

Post by Orm »

As for Tunis, I'd leave it until the TRS have been committed.

The ATR of the MTN is risky - the CW can get two fighters to our one. One lucky hit and the ATR and MTN die.... I would advise against.

I think the NAV should be on hand for the Italian Coast.

All very boring and defensive I know, but I have no confidence in anything at the moment.....
[&o]

Thank you. [:)]
peskpesk

Post by peskpesk »

warspite1

I have yet to throw above a 5 in Land Combat - my last 5 throws have been 22232. There is a 40% chance of losing two units (even with a +2). I can safely say I have not given that attack a moment's consideration [:D]

I think this is a good soak-off. There are two fliped allied units there right? Then do it! Big gain if it pulls off, even if not you have a fair chance to take a unit with you. What if you roll a 10?!
"'Malta - The Thorn in Rommel's Side"
Orm

Post by Orm »

ORIGINAL: peskpesk

warspite1

I think this is a good soak-off. There are two fliped allied units there right? Then do it! Big gain if it pulls off, even if not you have a descent chance to take a unit with you.
I looked at it but the odds are appalling. Even with the +2 it seems like to be a expensive result. The likely odds is 7:12 before any support and with defensive shore bombardment it is 7:24 and I doubt that Axis has any offensive air available. Very likely that Axis just lose two units. I recommend against it.
brian brian

Post by brian brian »

I would trade a 1.5 BP division for 3 defense factors in Brussels any day of the week. 11 or 14 defense factors could make the difference on a middling roll of 4-6 via swinging the the fractional roll significantly.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Got your message - hope all is okay. I tried responding on e-mail but it bounced back.

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Orm

A couple of ponderings.

1) The 3-3 AA is one of the best units when it comes to attacking armour and it is not all that cheap to build so I think it is a bad lose unit.
wrspite1

It wouldn't be a 'lose' unit though - unless the French counter-attack successfully (always possible). The 'lose' units are the ENG and the MIL.

The reorganisation cost is 1 for ARM too.

brian brian

Post by brian brian »

I think you are going to take the hex this time regardless of approach, you are due. If the Allies counter-attack, be grateful. The Axis make the best progress after early Allied attacks.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Well that's put the kybosh on that then - I think that is what's called tempting fate [X(][:-][&:]

Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Just don't use the d3 again!
I thought I knew how to play this game....
Orm

Post by Orm »

Just don't use the d3 again!
Right. [:D]

Better to use the 1d2+8 instead.
Orm

Post by Orm »

Now that we have a updated plan of action I suggest you make the changes you think is best and then mail me a new save for the Italian and Japanese movement. Does this sound ok?
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

I have returned the game.

As and when you are ready to do the German combat please send back so I can do the Germans.

Return to “After Action Report”